Question on communication

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
The wife & I are nomads when off pavement travels, the type of offroad travels we like are TAT, Backroads Discovery Routes, Nat'l Forest with 4x4 pulling our offroad camper trailer. Communication is something we have been pondering on for some time to have, we take a cell phone with us but been in situations with NO cell service & we want something mainly for emergency purposes only or if important phone calls from family. We've been researching off & on & narrow our search down to 2 options: Sat Phone or WeBoost with Cell Phone. We have NO need for radio's, I would like to get some feedback on what we are thinking or other options to look into. Again we are nomads (running solo) on our travels.

Last edited:
WeBoost is less than stellar for that application. The phone must be practically touching the device. And by its nature it has to have at least some small bit of service. I installed ours in the center dash area where both our phones are inches away when we're on the road. Step outside the vehicle and it's useless.

Apple has emergency satellite service from their latest phones.

Android 15 is doing the same but I suspect your provider will have to enable the service.

For me. If I had to send a satellite message It's most likely an emergency. Don't want to be stuck unlocking my phone, trying to remember my PIN with a concussion. I'd want a dedicated device and a simple SOS button to push that would contact emergency services with my location.

I’ve been very happy with my garmin inreach. I pay $12 a month for the basic service, it’s nice piece of mind for the cost even if I rarely need it. I’ve used it for link up messages when out of cell service, the usual “I’m ok” check ins and to get a local weather report a few times. Never used for emergencies yet (fingers crossed I never need to) but it’s nice to have.

With the newer phones possibly having satcom abilities the inreach might not be the best option any more (or for much longer) but it does give a redundant capability.

The upfront and service costs are quite high compared to whats out there, but have you looked into Starlink? The versatility and capabilities seem to be better than what's currently on the market, and the satellite coverages are expanding. This coupled with wifi-calling/messaging can go the distance.

The upfront and service costs are quite high compared to whats out there, but have you looked into Starlink? The versatility and capabilities seem to be better than what's currently on the market, and the satellite coverages are expanding. This coupled with wifi-calling/messaging can go the distance.

Since there is a upcoming vehicle mount for the Gen 3 Starlink that doesn't require cutting the case, yep.

I'm a bit of a satellite nerd. WeBoost is not suitable as you must have some level of cell coverage for it to work and the tower maps are designed around population centers. Currrent sat phones are cool but costly. Ive had the best luck with Iridium but it is $$. for emergency texting (no voice) consider Garin In-reach as current best in class. BUT there are a number of new technologies about to hit the market shortly. Check out Bullit.com for their mobile messager. Viasat GEO Based and pretty cheap ($150 to buy and $5/mo i think). Both it and Garmin interface to your cell phone so you can use the cell screens and keyboard to enter messages. Apple has/is incorporating emergency texting for satellites and will include sat voice over the globalstar network but it will probably be costly. look for new products from Viasat shorty. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom