Quality Folder

I am in search of a quality folder. Up until a couple weeks ago my EDC was this:
http://www.crkt.com/M16-14SFG

Really liked it, except for a couple things - serrations and the tanto tip. Just happened to pick this one up at a sale for $26.
I will blushingly share that my wife used it a couple times and asked if I could get her an identical one (I am a lucky guy). My response was, "Take this one, sweetie"... a "gift" in her eyes, a chance to upgrade in mine.

So I am in search of a quality replacement. Here are a few preferences:
-drop or spear point
-no serrations
-pocket carry
-Blade length of 4-5"... "ish" - I have some flexibility here.
-Durable
-Looking to spend up to $150. I live 25 minutes away from Spartan Blades, but they are a bit pricey for me.
-Use includes everything you use a knife for :)

I am really looking for a bushcraft type knife in a reliable folder package. Interestingly CRKT has a sister knife, also designed by Kit Carson, that meets these requirements. I am leaning towards this but wanted to see what else you may know of.
http://www.crkt.com/M2104G
Thanks,
John

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
it may not be exactly what you are looking for but after reading a review awhile back I picked up a Sanrenmu 7010. I can not find the original review that pushed me to purchase one, but there is a review here http://www.theoutdoornerd.com/2015/07/review-sanrenmu-7010-edc-pocket-knife.html

From the review "This is a solid steel, frame lock, EDC style pocket knife. It's made of the typical 8Cr13MoV steel you would expect it to be made of, and it features a hollow-ground, drop point blade. It comes with a deep carry clip mounted right handed and tip down."

I have been carrying this Knife daily now for about a year and have been very happy with it.

upload_2016-8-17_7-41-51.png

upload_2016-8-17_7-42-20.png
upload_2016-8-17_7-46-51.png

The best part is they are only $12 on Amazon

Herbie

Adventurist
Benchmade Griptilian?

I have a couple because I'm a lefty and their "Axis Lock" system is the best ambidextrous mechanism I've found. My favorite is the Doug Ritter RSK version because it's a wide-chord drop-point, plenty stout for hard work. I also have a "standard" one with a thinner clip-point blade that's my preference for eating apples. (Long story, but I always eat apples with a knife.)

Thebrassnuckles

Adventurist
Founding Member
I love serrations, they always seem to stay sharp no matter what I do, and I abuse my knives. I have been carrying a CRKT M16-sfa once 2006. I love that knife. But a blade like you describe on that same folder style would be pretty useful.

Prior to my M16sf I carried a ken onion Kershaw spring assist with a blade like you described. It was a very nice knife. I think it's this one.
http://www.cutlerymania.com/Kershaw..._Hdqo_zggRZsDjghfUVrUM9WwSxoCWMbw_wcB&click=2

it may not be exactly what you are looking for but after reading a review awhile back I picked up a Sanrenmu 7010.

Fascinating... I could buy a whole passel of them... Have you put it to hard use? Looks like every cheapo gun show knife you run across...

I love serrations, they always seem to stay sharp no matter what I do, and I abuse my knives. I have been carrying a CRKT M16-sfa once 2006. I love that knife. But a blade like you describe on that same folder style would be pretty useful.

Prior to my M16sf I carried a ken onion Kershaw spring assist with a blade like you described. It was a very nice knife. I think it's this one.
http://www.cutlerymania.com/Kershaw..._Hdqo_zggRZsDjghfUVrUM9WwSxoCWMbw_wcB&click=2
I get it about the serrations and you are correct. I just prefer it not to have them. The best bet may indeed be the CRKT I linked above... meets all my requirements and is inexpensive to boot, but I would like something more... heirloom quality maybe - even though I carry daily. Looks like @Matt414 has connected me to something a relatively local store will get me what I want... which may have Ann beating me about the head and shoulders... again...

I appreciate everyone's input.

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Fascinating... I could buy a whole passel of them... Have you put it to hard use? Looks like every cheapo gun show knife you run across...
It is much better built then must cheap knives. I was skeptical after reading reviews but figured for the price it was worth the gamble and was pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Griptillian. Available with or without serrations, locks up solid, one handed opening, good enough quality that its a pleasure to use, but not so expensive that you baby it or cry when you drop it overboard.

Scott

Adventurist
it may not be exactly what you are looking for but after reading a review awhile back I picked up a Sanrenmu 7010. I can not find the original review that pushed me to purchase one, but there is a review here http://www.theoutdoornerd.com/2015/07/review-sanrenmu-7010-edc-pocket-knife.html

From the review "This is a solid steel, frame lock, EDC style pocket knife. It's made of the typical 8Cr13MoV steel you would expect it to be made of, and it features a hollow-ground, drop point blade. It comes with a deep carry clip mounted right handed and tip down."

I have been carrying this Knife daily now for about a year and have been very happy with it.

View attachment 23543

View attachment 23544
View attachment 23545

I'm seriously considering this for my edc.. my current one is abused and in need of replacement. I am a fan of inexpensive knives that do the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm seriously considering this for my edc.. my current one is abused and in need of replacement. I am a fan of inexpensive knives that do the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I can see that... you could have 10 of these in storage and one in your pocket and still be ahead :)

Haha... just used my little Kershaw to pick my teeth after dinner, so this cracked me up.

At the same time... I think I am looking for something more substantial, as I have bought more than my fair share of "throw away knives"... and it has left me dissatisfied.

Last edited:

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
@jscusmcvet I haven't really seen in what capacity you are planning to use this in. Living in the sticks like we do I think yours and mine idea of what a bushcraft knife should be capable of might be different than others. So are you looking for an all purpose Chopper/skinner or more of a chore blade? You know like shaping stakes for trap lines, clearing shooting lanes, chopping the head of turtles kind of steel. The task at hand plays a huge role in the shape (tip/belly/draw) of the blade and the thickness of the spine. I personally do not like folders for the tasks above but like a solid tang straight knife with a thick spine and slightly arched belly profile. Also I like a hammer pommel on a woods knife.

Top Bottom