Prototype Battery Box

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Sized for a BTX14 battery.

IMG_20181017_195000.jpg

Made with an old AGM BMW (Exide) battery that I replaced in the 1200GS. I used 120V to chill the fridge down and seeing if the battery can maintain it through the night.

Last edited:
A little more refined than taking a cutting wheel and file to a sheet of ABS plastic. The prototype buried the fuses behind the panel. The printable version has a place for a Blue Sea 5021 Fuse Holder next to each of the socket cutouts.

This panel is sized for the Antigravity ATX-12-HD lithium battery and Pelican 1200 case with frame mount.
1200 panel print.png

Designed to fit the following 3 batteries.
  • Antigravity YTX12-24 Lithium Battery - 25Ah - 150x87x130mm
  • Antigravity YTX12-20 Lithium Battery - 22Ah - 150x87x130mm
  • Antigravity ATX-12-HD RE-START Lithium Battery - 16Ah - 150x86x132mm
1200 Panel Antigravity ATX-12-HD V3.png

3D Printing will cost about $90-95 + shipping. Looking for a cheaper solution like CNC.

Not a lot of room for the medium duty breakers. Push button resets fit.

1200 Panel BS Push Button Reset 3D.png

Designed to fit the following 3 batteries.
  • Antigravity YTX12-24 Lithium Battery - 25Ah - 150x87x130mm
  • Antigravity YTX12-20 Lithium Battery - 22Ah - 150x87x130mm
  • Antigravity ATX-12-HD RE-START Lithium Battery - 16Ah - 150x86x132mm
View attachment 41613

3D Printing will cost about $90-95 + shipping. Looking for a cheaper solution like CNC.
How many are you looking to print and what material

I've contacted a few places. Roughly $80 for CNC cut 1/4" ABS for a 1 off. Shapways will print and ship on demand and they're running around the same price when shipping is added. I'm not worried about the quality of the printed plastic. I've have other items printed by Shapways in the past and that plastic is pretty tough.

I have one CNC cut (fuse) and one printed (reset) on their way along with the Blue Sea push button resets and AGC/MDL fuse holders. When I get them in hand, compare them, and make sure everything fits I'll go from there. I'm leaning toward Shapways. CNC cut would be cheaper to mass produce but then I'd have to deal with storing and shipping them myself. I'd also have to pay for it up front and hope I sell enough to cover the cost of making them.

My original intent was just to make this for myself but if someone else wants one then why not make it available to them.

I would be willing to bet that I can print it far cheaper than $90. Send me a pm

I would be willing to bet that I can print it far cheaper than $90. Send me a pm
PM Sent.

This was the results of the Antigravity ATX-12-HD RE-START powering a 37 Quart ARB fridge with a transit bag cover. It's contents during the test was 2 plastic bottles containing about 3 quarts of water. The fridge was run on 120V until everything was at the target temperature of 0 degrees celsius. During the test the fridge was not opened. At 12.85V the batteries RE-START feature triggered preventing further drain of the battery until reset.

13.77V - 0H - 12:44 - Just off the charger
13.27V - 1H 5M
13.17V - 3H 25M
13.13V - 4H 31M
13.11V - 5H 51M
13.10V - 7H 11M
12.92V - 9H 20M
12.85V - 10H 15M - 22:59 - Battery RE-START feature triggered

IMG_20181020_200011.jpg

Last edited:
Production versions checks out. Tolerance is tight but everything fits.

This is the CNC ABS production version.
IMG_20181031_211027.jpg

The printed panels on Shapways (below) are the same spec as the CNC cut ABS plastic above. Same tight tolerance. Everything fits and they're about 15% cheaper in cost until Jan 2019. Then there will be a price change on Shapways. Depending on how much of a change in price will determine what I do next. Maybe do something like group buys for the CNC cut versions if printing is to expensive.
IMG_20181031_212807.jpg

Last edited:
The group buy for the CNC versions may be the better way to go. Get a volume discount,

Is there a reasonable option to build one that has two 12v batteries that can be wired in series?

I currently have two motorcycle batteries in a marine battery box that I use to wire in series to get 24v for my RediWelder. The box is HEAVY but it's a lot more portable and generally easier to lug around than it is to take a battery out of a vehicle and then set up with another battery to get the 24v.

I'll have to look to see what size batteries I'm currently using. I've used the current set up once, it turned into a booger weld patch job trying to weld an axle tube back on to an axle housing using wrenches and whatever else could be found to use as gusset material. I'll see if I can dig up some specs for the RediWelder as well. My needs are more likely to be an exception and cost prohibitive. Just brainstorming the idea.

Back
Top Bottom