Project Rocinante

Fowldarr

Adventurist
Founding Member
This is my place holder for my build thread. Affectionately known as Rocinante, named after the faithful steed of the ingenious Don Quixote de la manche.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Well, my wife took the truck for the week, she drove to Idaho, and then headed to Montana where our two oldest were staying with my dad. As she crossed the Monida border she had a blowout on the stock set of tires. Only 20,000 miles on the tires. All four were starting to show some wear, but I thought she would be fine or the trip. Luckily, my dad was able to get ahold of the les schwab in dillon. (Mad props to the tire boys in dillon). They rescued my wife, got her into town, and sold her a set of nearly knew Goodyear wrangler take-offs for $400. I know they don't get the best reviews but the price and service was impossible to beat.

I also picked up a Westinghouse roo-style bar for the unbeatable price of.....FREE!

Again not the preferred ARB I was hoping for....but...can't beat the price. Should get it installed this weekend an I will post some pics.

Alright, so I got promoted. Along with the promotion there is some excess cash coming my way. I figure I'll have about $5k leftover. So, $5k and a 2012 Crewmax Tundra. You guys know the drill. What would you do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, since nobody else wants to play, I am thinking OME lift, and new tires. If there is any left over, maybe sliders to assist with some of the breakover (lot of space between the tires)

The other option would be to go with armor front and back. My thought is for most of the driving I do, the extra couple of inches of ground clearance is more beneficial than the armor (Until a deer jumps out in front of me then I will wish I had gotten the bumpers)

Also on the list, Armorall the bed, Custom Fit Seat Covers (CoverKing, Wet Okole, or something like that), a topper, a mount for my shotgun (I might have that taken care of), New wheels,

Any other ideas?

Congrats on the promotion and new truck. I don't really know the Tundra market so can't really help with what to get but OME stuff is always nice. Depending on how you plan to use the truck, rock sliders are always better to put on before you need them than after you have that nice rocker dent I see on rigs. Everyone of them always says, "I was going to put on sliders before I got the dent." LOL Typically the repair was as much as the sliders would have cost to prevent the damage.

Good luck and keep posting up. Pics are always welcomed!

Sliders are mandatory IMO. Old Man Emu is a solid choice, I've had great luck with their suspension stuff - congrats on the new steed :thumbsup

Sliders are mandatory IMO. Old Man Emu is a solid choice, I've had great luck with their suspension stuff - congrats on the new steed :thumbsup
I'm with Dave. I'd do sliders first, then armor underneath, then if there's still some money, lift and tires. Nice rig!

Aww, to be clear I've had the truck. I spent a couple if years with her before doing anything. It allowed me to pay off other things and really decide where to start. Really didn't accomplish that last part since I still don't know what to do first.

What would you do?

Buy a Dodge

:)

Actually, as someone with a fullsize, sliders. As you said in your next post, the tires are far apart. I hated to give up any extra room on the breakover angle, but after denting all 4 doors (some a couple times) I gave in and got a set. It is a nice piece of security, and I have not missed the extra clearance one bit. Tires are always important. I am not as familiar with the Tundra, but the Diff on the Dodge is massive, and easy to hit so a skid plate or armored cover is another item that brings peace of mind. After that, I would say, drive it, it will soon become apparent what is the most important thing for the way you are using it.

Yeah, a dodge would be worth about $5k. :)

LOL! You could get two!

Nice truck! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Sliders and OME should be your first two purchases. You'll like the OME, but the real value is in the prevention (PEACE OF MIND) value in the sliders. If you don't still have some of the $5K left over after doing both, something went wrong.

Check out big wapiti Johnny's tundra build on expo. Big nambe. Might give you some ideas.

Tundras are hard to stuff big tires under without lots of lift, so as others have said, focus on protection.

IMO, big trucks don't need lockers like little trucks do, partly because of their sheer size, partly because they don't fit in locker territory unless you really commit. Get a good winch and make sure you have a plan for extraction front and back (ex: winch up front and hi lift out back or 2" hitches and winch in tray).

Drivetrain wise, Tundras are rock solid and tough to hurt. Keep it stock.

Extra fuel should be on your list of items to address. They are thirsty trucks when you get off the blacktop.

That's about all I know about overlanding Tundras. I hope it helps. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom