Project Land Yacht : 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Build.

Scott

Adventurist
*Disclaimer* This project was originally named Project Land Mass, only because Project Land Yacht was taken by a member of the other site. My friends have always called my truck the Land Yacht, so that's what I'm naming it over here :).

Thanks to my good buddy Dave (
www.theadventureduo.com), I have gotten the expo fever. I was a rockcrawling guy, with a jeep on 35's. I sold it, but have a 2004 Dodge Ram CTD quad cab long bed 4x4. I got out of the "hard core" rock crawling scene, as the costs associated with such a hobby and time spent fixing broken stuff just was not worth it anymore. I'm to the point where I just enjoy exploring, and that's what this truck is being built to do. My wife went from making 60k/year to being a stay at home mom when our daughter was born 17 months ago, so funds have dried up pretty quickly. I am adding what I can, when I can to my rig. Here are the specs on my truck:

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500
5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
6spd Manual Transmission
4x4
Quad Cab Long Bed
315x70x17 Firestone Destination Load Range E Tires.

Here are the most current pictures I have:
firestone1.jpg

firestone2.jpg

firestone3.jpg

Those pictures were taken when I first had those tires put on. Which was October of 2010! Holy cow! Not much has changed on it since then, except those tires are going to need to be replaced in the next 10k miles or so.

Here's a list of what I've done to the truck:

cheap Midland cb radio (Need to figure out why it's not transmitting or receiving anymore :( )
cb.JPG

Kilby OBA bracket and compressor mounted and getting plumbed currently
dodge19.JPG

dodge18.JPG

I got very lucky a few years ago when I was working for (the original) Kilby Enterprises. Brad needed a guinea pig truck to test fit his 5.9 Diesel bracket on the new 600 motor. I volunteered my truck for a couple of days use, and out of the deal, I ended up with a brand new york 210 compressor, and a bracket to mount it. You also notice, on the intake side, there is a set of fittings, and a small oil filter sticking out. I find that this works pretty darn great as an air filter. If I have issues with it, I will buy another filter, but I've used them like this before with no problems.

Found a mounting spot for the rear quick disconnect, on my hitch, and yes, the hitch pin still slides in with clearance.
20140126_104030.jpg

20140126_104026.jpg

Also didn't realize that I had a 5 gallon air tank in my buildup, so rather than buying one, I put some in/out barb fittings on the one I had. Now to just find a place and way to mount it. I'll have to fab something up I'm sure.

20140126_110654.jpg

20140126_110658.jpg

The pressure switch I am using is designed to cut off at 120 PSI, which is perfect since this tank is rated for 125 PSI. I'm working on a place to mount the accessories I need, and the tank, which is proving to be more difficult than I'd imagined. I will update this as more is accomplished.

Sportz Tent, Truck Bed Tent:
P2042923.JPG

truck%20tent3.jpg

Curt front receiver and 12k lb bulldog winch (That I still need to install)
IMAG0001.jpg

Happijac Camper Tie downs for my Slide in camper (When it's just family camping time, and there is no danger of "rough roads"

IMAG0927.jpg

IMAG0926.jpg

camper.jpg

The plan for this truck is to take the truck bed tent when I do multi day traveling camp site type stuff, and when its going to be a few days at the same site, I'll take the slide in.

Next up on the list is to finish the OBA install, and get it working before the Desert Rendezvous (with or without the air tank, depending on the amount of time I have. I also want to get the front receiver and winch mounted and wired, and the truck is in need of two new batteries, as the OEM units have finally died after 10 years of use. I will keep this thread updated as I progress, and please feel free to criticize or compliment! :)

Scott

Last edited:
Welcome the AAV Scott. Nice to see your build over here. I understand about the OBA project, as I have not gotten mine done and I have had most of the parts for about a year or so.

You still do the AMSOIL thing?

Welcome the AAV Scott. Nice to see your build over here. I understand about the OBA project, as I have not gotten mine done and I have had most of the parts for about a year or so.

You still do the AMSOIL thing?

Thanks Mike. As for the Amsoil thing, My dealership expires in May, and I probably won't be renewing it. The return on investment, plus time needed to fill orders with other things I have going on in my life is not working out. To give you an idea, I didn't sell much this year, but when all was said and done, I ended up making $1.04 in profit for the year. I'm always looking for additional opportunities to make money on the side though... :)

Gotta love Amazon.. ordered almost the rest of my oba parts and my pressure switch showed up today.. 90 psi on 120 psi off...

my4a2yru.jpg

Scott

I would love to do the OBA on my rig. I have refused to research it as of yet since I dont have the funds, so I dont want to tease myself. I will be stowing the oil filter as an air filter idea away for when I don get around to that project.

I would love to do the OBA on my rig. I have refused to research it as of yet since I dont have the funds, so I dont want to tease myself. I will be stowing the oil filter as an air filter idea away for when I don get around to that project.

It's a good plan. I've had my compressor mounted to the engine for almost 4 years and I am just now getting around to plumbing it.. I feel your pain. It's not a cheap mod, even given that I've gotten lucky acquiring some major parts for the oba. Hoping to get it all together in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
Did a little more work to the OBA system. Keep in mind, this is all temporary "mounting" solutions. I don't have the time or $$ to spend on making custom mounts for the gauges and coalescing filter... This setup is pretty sturdy and should do the job for DRV.

Coalescing filter "mounted", with a hose clamp. Hose has been zip tied along the firewall.

20140208_110010.jpg

20140208_105959.jpg

This is what I came up with for a temp mount for my air gauge and my check valve. The threaded end on the left side of the picture is the check valve. I need to pick up a tee fitting to attach my pressure switch to, and after that, I will put a quick disconnect under the hood. The under hood disconnect will be temporary until I can make a bracket to feed it out to the front bumper. I have so many little things to do to the truck, that I just want to get the OBA functional right now, and I'll make things more permanent at a later time. I also ran the air line from the rear of the truck, up to the front, and i need to get it plumbed in with the rest of the system. That too will take some additional fittings, so a trip to HF this week is in the plans.

20140208_104520.jpg

20140208_103824.jpg

So, once I get a few fittings, and finish the plumbing of the air lines, then all I have left to do is the wiring, which SHOULDN'T be too bad...

After this project is over, next on the list is to try and get the front reciever and winch mounted, and I also need to replace the batteries in the truck this week as well. Just a quick update.

Spent some BIG $$ on new batteries for the truck today, Napa Legend 75 month premiums. $250 later, I have 2 850 CCA batteries, and I installed them tonight. Them SOB's are HEAVY to get in and out! Fired the truck up, and to her for a little spin. Felt good to drive her again, as she's been sitting for at least 4 months. I do have a check engine light now though, and the code seems to be a code that pops up regularly when the batteries go completely dead, and according to my research, once the ECM completely re-learns itself, the code should clear and the light will go out, after about 10 starts or so. I also ALMOST finished plumbing the OBA, except I bought one wrong fitting, so I can't quite finish it. Next up is re-wiring the CB radio, CORRECTLY, and wiring the OBA and testing it. May not get anything done this weekend, as we have family in town that I have to entertain, but I am PUSHING forward. At the very least, the truck is running again, and WILL be out at DRV, projects complete or not! Couldn't get any pictures, as it was dark when I finished up for the night.

So the wife decided she was going to go down the mountain and go shopping with her sister and her sister's best friend. She asked if I wanted to go, knowing that I had wanted to get some work done on the truck. She went on her merry way, and I got some stuff accomplished :). Hard wired the CB in, instead of the crappy "makeshift" 12v plug way I had it before, no real pictures of that, as it's boring, but at least it's more permanent now. I bought that CB RIGHT before a trip, and I needed it wired quick, so I rigged it up to "sorta" work... Fixed that problem, now all I need to do is get a CB antenna cable and I should be set. I did want to get the opinions of the AAV crew. I bought this metal antenna mount a long time ago. It slides into my mirror on the driver's side of the truck. The mirror is all plastic, but the antenna mount is all metal. Is this enough ground for a CB antenna, or do I need to look at other mounting options?

20140216_153024.jpg

I always wanted to have an inverter in the truck, and while I was helping my parents clean out their storage for their big move from CA to MO a few months back, I ran across a couple inverters. One was a 300 watt 600 max, and the other was a 400 watt 800 max unit. With a little looking around the cab of the truck, and noticing that I had lots of room in the center console, as well as a 12V plug, I mounted the 400 watt inverter in the center console with some double sided tape. Seems to work just fine. Sure it's not as powerful as I'd like, but for the huge price of FREE, I can't complain.

20140216_135435.jpg

next up was the mod that every adventure vehicle needs for those libations while back at camp. I had this laying around the house, so decided to put it to good use:

20140216_143945.jpg

And finally, a picture (1 of 2 batteries), of the most boring, but necessary part of my build, Napa Legend 75 month batteries, with 850 CCA each...

20140216_160133.jpg

Next up is to get a new Coax for the CB to see what I can make happen with that. Worst case scenario, I'll buy a cheap magnet mount antenna and stick it on the roof for now. I also worked on wiring for my OBA... It's not that exciting, so I didn't take any pictures. I still need to hunt down a 1/4" to 1/8" npt reducer to fit the pressure switch in, which I should pick up tomorrow. Once I grab that, I'll put it in, fill the compressor with oil, and give it a test fire. So far so good, and DRV is definetly a GO!

Scott

Last edited:
Another small update, nothing fancy.. I am sick of the chrome on my bumpers/grille, and while I was at Home Depot picking up some fittings, I saw cans of grey/silver plasti dip. So, I picked up a few cans of that, and I plan on spraying all the chrome with it, so it will be a pretty decent match for the silver lower stripe on the truck. Now I just gotta find time to spray!

I'm going to send those OBA pics to Brad...he'll hunt your ass down and get a piece of it for your "temporary install". We're going to need pics of a permanent install in the next two weeks or I'm hitting the send button!:eek:

Remember, I've seen the Exxon Valdez, I mean YJ, he made you park in the street!:cool: Come to think of it, isn't that where my old roll cage ended up?

I'm infamous for my "I'll do it right later" work on the my old YJ. My Jeepspeed team owner spared no expense on the race Jeep, then he ran a 10ga wire through the front door gap on his Dmax for a "temporary" race radio install. The lack of a fuse was also temporary. The electrical fire that started a year and a half later fixed the "temporary" install.

My dumb ass has the whole OBA set up for my Dmax sitting in a box in the garage. Brad put it together for me and installed it on my '01 Dmax for a photo shoot/beta tester. I took it off before I sold the truck, haven't done anything about getting it put back on. I sure miss it when I need it.

I'm going to send those OBA pics to Brad...he'll hunt your ass down and get a piece of it for your "temporary install". We're going to need pics of a permanent install in the next two weeks or I'm hitting the send button!:eek:

Remember, I've seen the Exxon Valdez, I mean YJ, he made you park in the street!:cool: Come to think of it, isn't that where my old roll cage ended up?

I'm infamous for my "I'll do it right later" work on the my old YJ. My Jeepspeed team owner spared no expense on the race Jeep, then he ran a 10ga wire through the front door gap on his Dmax for a "temporary" race radio install. The lack of a fuse was also temporary. The electrical fire that started a year and a half later fixed the "temporary" install.

My dumb ass has the whole OBA set up for my Dmax sitting in a box in the garage. Brad put it together for me and installed it on my '01 Dmax for a photo shoot/beta tester. I took it off before I sold the truck, haven't done anything about getting it put back on. I sure miss it when I need it.

I figured you'd chime in here Bob. Lol! I really need to get this stuff mounted better that's for sure. Since brad sold Kilby, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care what I do lol... see you at drv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I am not sure about this mount. When on the trail it feels like my mirrors hit more things than my tires hit dirt. I see that as being a good way of damaging the mirror. I have my cb antenna on the front fender with an underhood mount, and it still hits alot, but this moves it inboard probably 6 inches and puts it mounting into metal. I picked up the dodge specific mount for 5 bucks at the cb shop behind the truck stop on the 10 near the 15

I am not sure about this mount. When on the trail it feels like my mirrors hit more things than my tires hit dirt. I see that as being a good way of damaging the mirror. I have my cb antenna on the front fender with an underhood mount, and it still hits alot, but this moves it inboard probably 6 inches and puts it mounting into metal. I picked up the dodge specific mount for 5 bucks at the cb shop behind the truck stop on the 10 near the 15

I've never had an issue with where it was mounted while on trails. My main concern is if it's actually grounding the antenna... I am thinking about going with the under hood mount. Do you know what the name of the cb shop is that you were at?

had to "walk" down the street on google street view, but found it
Radio Shop
4055 E Guasti Rd
Ontario, CA 91761
(909) 390-5056

Radio Shop
4055 E Guasti Rd
Ontario, CA 91761
(909) 390-5056

That's about 5 minutes from my work place. I'm driving the truck tomorrow so maybe I will swing by on my lunch.

Radio Shop
4055 E Guasti Rd
Ontario, CA 91761
(909) 390-5056

Funny one of our truck locations is at 4017 guasti rd... right next to the place and I never knew it was there.

when i got it I asked for a mount for the dodge ram fender, they asked me right or left side. Pulled it out of a card board box with about 50 other mounts. All out of the packages, no labels. The guy looked in the box for a min, pulled it out and handed it too me. Fit perfect. No idea how he knew which was the correct one. They are chrome, but I painted it black. You can see a couple of photos of it in my build thread post 3

when i got it I asked for a mount for the dodge ram fender, they asked me right or left side. Pulled it out of a card board box with about 50 other mounts. All out of the packages, no labels. The guy looked in the box for a min, pulled it out and handed it too me. Fit perfect. No idea how he knew which was the correct one. They are chrome, but I painted it black. You can see a couple of photos of it in my build thread post 3

Sweet. I'll head over there Tommorow to see what I can find out... I need that and some coax cable to run.

Back
Top Bottom