Primer for A Newcomer

Stuart Rich

Adventurist
Hi:
Recently got fired up about overland travel while in Patagona and looking to learn more about buying a truck and camper. My goal is extended domestic and overseas trips with my wife with a mix of on and off roading in light to moderate 4x4 terrain I have been looking at the FWC Hawk or an eight foot Alaska Camper with a Ram 2500 Crew Cab, eight foot box, a 6.4 V8 gasser, and automatic but open to other suggestions. As a novice, I really could use a basic ABC primer on what to consider when putting together an overland rig? Any suggestions on articles, books, websites etc. would be appreciated Thanks

Welcome!

Domestic and overseas? Gas engine due to fuel availability.

The Ram is a great truck (I have one) but it and that wheelbase/8 ft bed will really limit where you can go.

I think the first thing you need to decide is really, in detail, WHERE do you want to take this rig?

Once you know that, start considering “needs” versus “wants”.

For two people, less can be more when it comes to rig and systems etc. Fast and light is where it’s at in my experience.

I agree with Dave...I've seen WAY too many people build interweb monster vehicles because they were told they couldn't make it down a dirt road without extensive modifications, then they end up hating the contraption that they built. Find the vehicle that you want, get some armor to protect the vitals and then take it out and find out what YOU need to make it do what YOU need it to do. Most out of the box 4wheel drive vehicles will get you where you need to go right out of the box.

Hi:
Recently got fired up about overland travel while in Patagona and looking to learn more about buying a truck and camper. My goal is extended domestic and overseas trips with my wife with a mix of on and off roading in light to moderate 4x4 terrain I have been looking at the FWC Hawk or an eight foot Alaska Camper with a Ram 2500 Crew Cab, eight foot box, a 6.4 V8 gasser, and automatic but open to other suggestions. As a novice, I really could use a basic ABC primer on what to consider when putting together an overland rig? Any suggestions on articles, books, websites etc. would be appreciated Thanks
Stuart, you've made an enormous request with a potentially voluminous response that would be complicated at best. On any forum, to answer you immediate questions and obligatory follow-on questions, you'll be lucky to get a few sentences. But anyway, I got your "ABC primer" right here, bud... :eek:

My recommendation is to invest in something that you'll value for years to come... something we old-timers call a "book". There are many out there about the subject but I encourage you to look at this one: Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide, version 4.1 (Aug. 2017) You will find it a money saving investment in the long haul as you begin your descent into madness, rather start your new hobby! :D

As an instructor in this field I have this text, and it is an exquisite source of accurate information I often reference, that encompasses the huge question you just posed this group. Additionally, one of the co-authors is a member of this forum and a skilled world-wide traveler off-road on several continents, so you may very well see a reply from Jonathan on any number of subjects that may come up on the forum.

Good luck! :tango

Back
Top Bottom