Power Wagon Shock Upgrade - King 2.5 or Icon 2.5 (revised title)

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
I picked a new Power Wagon two weeks ago and would like to upgrade the stock 4600's that is comes with. Not looking to lift or change out factory springs (need to keep it a the PW stock height), just looking to get a little smoother ride.

Does anyone have experience with either of these shocks?

Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Changing title, running the Carli 2.0 Fox's and looking to make another upgrade. See new post.

Last edited:
2018. With the sales and the fact that I cant seem to bring my self to buy a truck with "dial" transmission, I didn't get a 19.

Also Have been on Thuren's and Carli's web site. They seem to only have full kits.

Thuren and Carli both sell the items individually if you contact them, and getting the custom valving from either of them will be the best option in the long run. Personally, I would call Cody at CJC Offroad and talk to him about how you will be using the truck and the ride quality that you want. Either way, you will get a quality product but everyone uses the vehicle differently and wants a different ride quality. CJC does a lot of testing for both and can fill you in on the specific differences. Don Thuren and the Guys at Carli are also very responsive to questions, I have talked to Don at length via email about my build on multiple occasions and actually had him recommend Carli Springs for my application as he thought I would be happier with the performance. Both companies offer the 2" fox with their tuning, Carli does have Bilstein for the 3rd gens, but I believe they used the 7100 or 9100 depending on how far you want to go

Thanks for the input gents. Talked to CJC and picked up the Carli " Leveling Kit".

Kit consist of Carli tuned Fox 2.0's all around and Carli 2.5" leveling front coils which only nets me .5" in the front due to the power wagon being "factory" lifted 2". Which is exactly what I was looking for.

Installed the shocks last night as the springs are a few day out. What a difference!!!!! Way more compliant ride and almost eliminated the freeway bounce.

Good to hear it worked out for you. Make sure you get some photos when the springs are on

Just got back from 2 weeks in the Tetons and had the Thuren springs waiting on the porch. Installed them today... looks awesome. Ride is much more compliant and the"freeway" chop is almost gone. Also got the AEV ProCal to reset the speedo and knock the tire pressure monitor. Lowering the tire pressure down to 50 in lieu of the factory set 60/65 helps with the ride and tire wear.

20190622_105148.jpg

Have my White Knuckle sliders sitting in my storage ready to go on next. Loving this truck more and more every day.

Lol.....I have yet to install them. We've been in the in-laws house while our house is going through some renovations. Would be back in the house in a few weeks. I have a super long and flat driveway and I'll need that to install them as they weight a metric ton. Almost to heavy to manipulate by myself, I'm going to have to have a buddy help.

Finally finished the remodel of our house a few weeks ago which gave me back my flat spot on my driveway. I was able to get the sliders on in about 4 hours. Driver's side was the longest....sooooo many cables and hoses to contend with. But they look way better then the factory steps.
20200119_100306.jpg
20200119_100333.jpg
20200119_100322.jpg

Put new rims and tires yesterday. Cowboy'd up and went 37's. Ride is super nice and compliant.

That being said the next upgrade will be a bump in the shocks. I have the Carli tuned Fox 2.0's but after a long desert run a few months ago I noticed fade in these shocks after an hour of constant running.

Think of going either King 2.5 remote res or Icon 2.5 remote res. Anyone have experience with either? I have Icon 2.0's on my 200 series and so far (after 25000 miles) they are still running great.

Also have a RLD shell shipping this week. The SoftTopper is effect but not secure, nor great on gas milage. Seems to create a ton of drag. When the SoftTopper is off I get 1 to 2 mpg better.

Back
Top Bottom