Potluck & Dutch Oven Competition MRV 2016

Deanna and I will be getting ours ready with some ethnic variety :)

Two weeks out! Here's a few from past Dutch Oven Contests to get y'all inspired:

2014 MRV
DSC_0964.jpg

2015 DRV
DSC_0034.JPG

2016 DRV
_DSC0245129A.JPG

_DSC0231127A.JPG

Lane's winning entry at the last DRV:
_DSC0222123A.JPG

Doing it right with the partitioned trays!
_DSC0244.JPG

Before anyone complains about having to use propane rather than charcoal for your dutch oven cookery, there is a perfectly valid reason for it...as you will see below, there is always some jackass to trying to set the desert on fire. That could get ugly quickly in a dry forest.
dutch2-jpg.9868

I...I mean, the jackass, was making French fries. Fry oil overflowed onto the coals...who knew you could catch SAND on fire!

Before anyone complains about having to use propane rather than charcoal for your dutch oven cookery, there is a perfectly valid reason for it...as you will see below, there is always some jackass to trying to set the desert on fire. That could get ugly quickly in a dry forest.
dutch2-jpg.9868

I...I mean, the jackass, was making French fries. Fry oil overflowed onto the coals...who knew you could catch SAND on fire!

That was entertaining :fail

The fire north of LA was caused by an illegal campfire so it is a real issue. Safety first.

Got some good news today, we are cleared for charcoal at the main fire ring by the stage. This is the only spot we will have charcoal, and this can change last minute depending on the weather which means you still need a backup plan on how you will cook.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This will be our first Rendezvous and we were thinking about doing something for the Dutch Oven competition but had a couple of questions: You say assemble at the fire pit at 1500 and cooking should be done by 1630. Does that mean that if you have something that requires 3-6 hours to cook that you can't enter that? Or can you start cooking earlier than 1500 as long as you do it at the fire pit area? What will be at the fire pit to cook on? Charcoal, wood, propane, etc? Do you bring your own or is it provided? Could you clarify what's allowed? Thanks!

Due to fire restrictions, if you are using charcoal they ask that you do it near the main camp fire area. If your dish takes longer to cook, start earlier! Bring your own charcoal/fuel.

This is the latest from what I understand, but subject to change. Chris has a handle on current fire conditions/restrictions.

This will be our first Rendezvous and we were thinking about doing something for the Dutch Oven competition but had a couple of questions: You say assemble at the fire pit at 1500 and cooking should be done by 1630. Does that mean that if you have something that requires 3-6 hours to cook that you can't enter that? Or can you start cooking earlier than 1500 as long as you do it at the fire pit area? What will be at the fire pit to cook on? Charcoal, wood, propane, etc? Do you bring your own or is it provided? Could you clarify what's allowed? Thanks!
As bob91yj stated bring your own fuel whether it's wood or charcoal, go ahead and start early as cooking time is needed but do the cooking at the main fire pit. You can prep in camp (Stuart will clarify if I am incorrect). I think you'll find the main fire pit seems to be a center gathering point for everything so people are always hanging around there. You won't be the only ones starting early I'm sure.

Due to fire restrictions, if you are using charcoal they ask that you do it near the main camp fire area. If your dish takes longer to cook, start earlier! Bring your own charcoal/fuel.

This is the latest from what I understand, but subject to change. Chris has a handle on current fire conditions/restrictions.

As bob91yj stated bring your own fuel whether it's wood or charcoal, go ahead and start early as cooking time is needed but do the cooking at the main fire pit. You can prep in camp (Stuart will clarify if I am incorrect). I think you'll find the main fire pit seems to be a center gathering point for everything so people are always hanging around there. You won't be the only ones starting early I'm sure.

You are welcome to start cooking as early as needed, the "set" time at the fire pit is just to have some kind of schedule to get things started. As stated, supply your own fuel, and charcoal is only allowed in the main fire pit (next to the stage). If you car using propane you can cook in your camp, but we try and get everyone to the fire pit to cook. It adds a social aspect and is great to see what others are doing and learn some tricks.

Man I really need to buy a dutch oven

I feel like I am not a cool kid without one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom