Portable fridges?

National Luna Fridge on an AT Combo Slide is probably the best setup I've used so far.

AT-Storage-Install-15.jpg

AT-Storage-Install-15.jpg

Back to fridge talk, I've got an arb that I've only actually used on one trip camping, but it serves as shopping duty fridge as well, and it works flawlessly. I've had it plugged into my trucks 12v hot for up to 4 days straight with no I'll effects.

Thread Revival!

Looking at the Indel B TF51 or the Dometic CFX 50W.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I have dual batteries and solar.

Thread Revival!

Tim, I have the Indel B and have used it a lot over the 2 years or so that I have had it. Works like a charm, with no complaints, especially for the price. We have camped comfortably with three people for a week out of it. With your electric set up you are set.. when I run it in the jeep my deep cycle/starting agm handles it fine over even a whole day without any charging. If I could change anything it would have a more positive locking latch, it would be shorter (so it would fit below the top lip of my jeep tub) and would have a metal exterior that I could stand on and use as a step. I don't think the Dometic gets you either of those features. I did look at the dometic line at expo east last year and they seem like a solid product.

If you have specific questions on the Indel B just ask.

Anybody know if you can fit a wine bottle upright in an Engel MT35? The dimensions (12.5" high inside) look like it will work, but barely. Maybe it fits, maybe you have to take the basket out, maybe it just won't quite go . . . .

They are on sale right now, and I am tempted, but would hate to suffer the instant buyers remorse if reality doesn't align with what works on paper.

Painfully obvious but give them a call, their customer service / tech support is great. Oh yeah be sure you allow for the increased height of stoppered cork?

Thread Revival!

I had an old Waeco (same company as Dometic) that I was the 5th or 6th owner of and loved it. I ran it for about 2 years and decided I wanted something bigger. We picked up an Edgestar new for a great price and it failed on me twice in the first year. After the second repair, we sold it and picked up the Dometic 65 DZ and could not be happier. It was been running for about 2 years straight. Not really a lot to say about it, it just works. The indel B is a good fridge, but I can not recommend the Dometic high enough.

I picked up the Indel B 51. For the price and free shipping I couldn't beat it. $429.00 to my door. To bad the slide and bag weren't on sale.

I highly considered the Dometic. We have Dometic in our RV and it does great but at end of day it came down to cost. Just hope I don't regret it and "get what I paid for" kinda deal.

I picked up the Indel B 51. For the price and free shipping I couldn't beat it. $429.00 to my door. To bad the slide and bag weren't on sale.

I highly considered the Dometic. We have Dometic in our RV and it does great but at end of day it came down to cost. Just hope I don't regret it and "get what I paid for" kinda deal.
The indel b is still a great fridge, @sfsmedic has been running one for a while. I doubt you will have any regretts

Curious what failed on your Edgestar @BlkWgn (figuring out that "@" thing!:rolleyes:). My first 45qt Edgestar lasted almost 10 years of continuous use, other than being a little 12v power hungry, I had zero issues with it. It finally gave up (I think it's just the control panel) after 10 years of use. I bought a new one, thinking I'd swap parts around to diagnose the old one. The control panels are cosmetically different, have yet to take one apart @Gallowbraid style to see if connectors etc are the same. I will say that the latch on the new one is improved, and seat of the pants testing, it seems to be more 12v efficient. Keeps the :beer cold sitting on the back porch on 110/120v power 24/7 when not bouncing around in the back of a vehicle.

Anybody know if you can fit a wine bottle upright in an Engel MT35? The dimensions (12.5" high inside) look like it will work, but barely. Maybe it fits, maybe you have to take the basket out, maybe it just won't quite go . . . .

They are on sale right now, and I am tempted, but would hate to suffer the instant buyers remorse if reality doesn't align with what works on paper.

There's another solution to this problem: https://www.platy.com/catalog/produ...rve-portable-wine-storage-bottle/category/44/

Platy_Preserve.jpg

Decant your wine into one of these, push out the air, and seal it up. I've never had any problems with wine oxidizing or going off. (Of course, an open bottle of wine is like a signal beacon for Mrs. Herbie, so they never have to go more than a couple of days!) Works great for both red (room temp) and white (in the fridge). On longer trips, I've rinsed them and refilled directly at various wineries. Tasting room/wineries are always amused but have never refused to open the bottle for me so I could transfer to the platypreserve, and they're always happy to get to recycle the bottle with the rest of their tasters.

I worried about the original latching system and was proven correct. Looks to me like with increased competition in the lower end cooler market, Indel B should step it up a bit.
First failure of my Indel B. On the way home from my trip to FL a couple weeks ago, I noticed the lid was not latching. Unit would not hold temp without it latching (although it did maintain a solid 46 degrees or so in 90+ degree heat) I searched on line and found basically nothing about this. I did see a write up on changing the opening direction, so that was my back up plan. Instead, I spent $3.00 at Lowes hardware and picked up a locking latch, like you might see on a tool box. Four tiny holes, screwed in place and it seals better than new.

I worried about the original latching system and was proven correct. Looks to me like with the increased competition in the lower end fridge market, Indel B should step it up.

I worried about the original latching system and was proven correct. Looks to me like with increased competition in the lower end cooler market, Indel B should step it up a bit.
First failure of my Indel B. On the way home from my trip to FL a couple weeks ago, I noticed the lid was not latching. Unit would not hold temp without it latching (although it did maintain a solid 46 degrees or so in 90+ degree heat) I searched on line and found basically nothing about this. I did see a write up on changing the opening direction, so that was my back up plan. Instead, I spent $3.00 at Lowes hardware and picked up a locking latch, like you might see on a tool box. Four tiny holes, screwed in place and it seals better than new.

I worried about the original latching system and was proven correct. Looks to me like with the increased competition in the lower end fridge market, Indel B should step it up.
4 years on my Indel B without one issue whatsoever. Including latching.

I went and checked out my new Indel. The latch has a nice "thunk" when I closed mine. I gave it a nice pull up and it stayed closed and the lid is flat and seals great. I've read on several forums of some coming with a defective latch and not closing completely. Maybe you received one. Glad you figured out a fix, although shouldn't have to have one. and thanks for the comment.

Engel 12v. 22qt fridg\freez & love it. The size fits Sally & I perfectly, we plan to use the Engel to store meat & condiments only, the reliability of the Engel in power consumption & over all life use is unbelievable. Their reputation speaks volumes. I 've had ours over a year now.

Back
Top Bottom