Pop Up Camper Mod

Just saw an article in Truck Camper Magazine where the guy came up with a pretty interesting idea that some of you may find useful.

Elastic-band-popup-to-close-fabric.jpg

You said in your email, “I have added an elastic band around the middle of the canvas which makes bringing the top down as fast and trouble free as putting it up”. Tell us about that.

I put an elastic cord around the canvas so that I can bring the top down as fast as I can put it up without the canvas falling to the outside.
With my set-up I don’t have to worry about running a fan to get negative air pressure, squirming between the bed and the ceiling with the top mostly down to get the front pulled in, or having to run around the outside stuffing in those few stubborn spots that stick out even after you pulled everywhere on the inside. That elastic cord pulls in all the canvas so that none of the canvas is hanging out.

How did you put the elastic cord together?

I went to a hardware store and got 20-feet of bulk bungee cord on a spool. Then I tied two half-hitch knots on the tails in the back with the other part going through the half-hitch. This way you can slide the half-hitches along the other section to adjust tension and they stay in place when you let go.
When I installed it, I took the top and put it 90-percent of the way down so I could see it. The elastic is adjusted with just enough pressure at 90-percent down to be sure that the canvas is pulled in. The elastic stretches out when the pop top goes up. It works nicely and it’s super easy. Just make sure it’s not too tight or too loose.

Back
Top Bottom