Pho Home

100acre

Adventurist
Among all the Vietnamese dishes that came to the attention of the people in the western hemisphere, nothing else has received such tremendous acceptance as pho. Pho is considered as the national dish of Vietnam, and it has captured the fascination of so many people in the west because of its deceptive simplicity and its complex flavors. Pho is the perfect comfort food - warm, hearty and deliciously refreshing. In Vietnam it's the common people's food. It's street food. - www.lovingpho.com

I love baking Pork loins for dinner and prefer the smaller cuts for their tenderness, quickness of cooking, plus room enough on the oven pan for other vegetables like potatoes carrots and parsnips. I alway try to make more than I can eat in one sitting so, sometimes I'll throw two in the oven to create other meals for later. What I typically like to do is create a Pho. To me nothing has a set recipe. Its all just knowing works well together with an occasional experiment thrown into the mix. So, it can be whatever you have on hand with a few common pho ingredients normally used in Asian cuisines. A staple for me is Sesame Oil which imparts a smoky nutty flavor to dishes. Another would be Ginger in it's root form or pickled. If you can find it, Thai Basil is an awesome addition to a really great pho.

Todays Pho consisted of;
A Qt of Chicken Stock & a Qt of Beef Stock.
Approx 1 lb of baked pork loin sliced across the grain and left as large thin slices
3 large thinly sliced radishes left big
Approx a Tbls of fresh Ginger chopped
Yesterdays steamed Kale and Carrots About two cups
Rice Noodles 2 cups
Approx 1\2 cup freshly chopped Thai Basil -stems removed
Approx 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
Gluten Free Soy Sauce 1 Tablespoon
Approx 1\2 teaspoon Fish Sauce
A couple of dashes of Cinnamon- it will surprise you how good it is!

Do your measurements according to your own tastes of course, just think of this as a guide. Nonetheless, I say use lots of fresh herbs and the coconut/sesame oils are a great combination and only enhance each other's flavors.
If you have them and can eat it, one could always substitute other vegetables like Water Chestnuts, Bean Sprouts, Bamboo Shoots and Baby Corn or Cabbage. if you want it spicier, then add some crushed red pepper. If you cannot find the Thai Basil, then substitute with Fresh common Basil. If you cannot find fresh Basil, then use lots fresh Cilantro instead and Lemon Grass even better. Dried herbs won't do it justice. Fresh is always best, even if its been in your fridge a few days. Most of these ingredients can be found at Asian markets or places like Whole Foods.

This is an easy meal to make and can made at home or on the road. What a great meal to surprise both friends and family with something so simple, yet so much better than simple burgers and hotdogs. You can even PHOne Home about it.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom