Perfect ADV Camera - Mirrorless ?

Finn

Adventurist
Time to upgrade from an iPhone/GoPro Combo and add a "real" camera to the kit. Generally I'd just go tried and true full frame DSLR like everybody else. However many of my trips involve backcountry travel that takes me miles and sometimes days from my vehicle. Therefor size and weight plays into this consideration.

Im strongly considering going Mirrorless for my next ADV camera to use for my travels. The new Fujifilm XT2 looks pretty amazing. Has any of the Adventurist clan made the switch to mirorless and care to share your experience?

I use Nikon D800 bodies and 2.8 lenses, BUT they are HEAVY and big. If I had the money I would buy a Sony a7s II and a lenses to cover the equivalent of 24-70 and 70-200. That camera is awesome and quite a bit smaller/lighter than my big FX bodies.

For paid gigs (especially fast moving events and weddings) I wouldn't trade the versatility and fast AF system of my DSLRs but for adventuring (especially hiking) I want a mirror less. Then again I've been know to hike with a couple of speed lights, wireless triggers, Camranger, iPad and tripod to setup some more complicated shots, so I know I'm not "normal."

Oh and two thoughts I cover in my how-to photography book: the best camera in the world is the one you actually have with you and I can play a $5000 guitar just as poorly as my $200 guitar.

You mean the a7r II? ;)

I made the switch, then switched back after about a year. At the time (2012-13) mirrorless meant Micro4:3rds...I'm so glad that era is at an end. They did fine in good light, but just didn't have what it takes for good low light performance. Star trails were iffy, and Milky Way was flat-out impossible. It's a bit off topic if you're looking exclusively new, but something to watch out for if you want a used setup.

If you're looking for a modern mirrorless (which mostly use the same full or crop sensors as the DSLRs now) and have the cash, the Sony a7r II is a fantastic machine. The only real complaint is with the autofocus. They're getting better and better, but it still doesn't come close to the DSLR for speed and accuracy. Ever watch your phone shift from close to far to close to far trying to find what seems like an obvious subject? Mirrorless still does that on occasion, even the mighty Sony.

I have mixed feelings on the Fuji XT2. I've seen some great results from it, but it's still just a crop sensor and the weight/size savings is negligible compared to a Canon 70D (which has three times the battery life and arguably one of the best autofocus systems ever released). Considering the cost difference, variety of available lenses, and other bonuses of a 70D...

I have been thinking about ditching my DSLR and going with a mirrorless. I tend to always bring my DSLR but 95% of the time it stays in the bag in the truck all weekend long. I tend to use my S7 primarily for most of my social media shots since they dont have to be high res...

I switched to an older Panasonic Lumix GX1 a year ago and found I used it more than my dSLR when traveling. I put it in a fanny pack under the drivers seat and have the cheap zooms 1-42 and 100-300? Great travel camera in daylight, if I want to do more, I bring my dSLR. This last weekend I fell in a creek and the camera was splashed (not drenched!) and it is in-op. Sucked since I don't like the iPhone 6 camera and it was all I brought. Look at my blog for pix - www.jaycapers.com Most of the waterfall pix from July 29-ish were with the GX1 and a 14mm prime with ND filter. You can go to the bottom and click "waterfalls" Since my GX1 has been down, after carrying my dSLR, I already miss it and shopping for a replacement....

100-300?
14mm prime...
100-300mm: I absolutely loved that lens when I ran the GX1...second only to the 20mm f1.2. An ND was practically mandatory with the 20, but man that bokeh was creamy.

GX7's have come down dramatically (~$350 like new), might be worth picking one up if the glass is undamaged.

You mean the a7r II? ;)..
YES! Haha, damn those letters.

You nailed it though in that the MILC camera systems lack the AF sped and accuracy that many pro and pro-Sumer shooters desire.m the difference isn't in the models as much as the systems used to run the AF. Phase shift versus contrast based AF (the following is a very basic explaination). For DSLR shooters an example is when you use live view, the imaging sensor is doing the heavy lifting via contrast based AF, when using the mirror fueled viewfinder part of the light is used to illuminate a separate sensor that drives the AF. The result is a more accurate and faster focus.

I use a single focus point and drive the focus using the 4-way selector on the back of the body or using a focus and recompose method with back button focus. Those give me the best results for accuracy, speed and sharpness when shooting. Both methods are slow and annoying when using a contrast based AF, like a MILC. However technology is improving so in a couple of years that difference may not matter.

I would also bet for most typical adventure shooters that those minor differences wouldn't matter all that much. I'm a goofball but happily so.

I used a Sony DSLR for a few years and loved it. I took it in to the shop to get cleaned and looked at mirrorless. I got the Sony back after a few days and now 13 months later it's still wrapped in the bubble wrap the shop gave it to me in. In Dec '15 I picked up an Olympus OM-D E-M10 II. Lots of letters there. Anyway I'm not a pro photo guy but an avid enthusiast. For my needs the Oly fits well. It's lighter and more compact so easier to take along. It fits in a Wolfman Enduro tank bag (motorcycle) on my Suzuki DR650SE just fine. If you get their E-M5 or E-M1 bodies they are dust and water sealed as long as you're using one of their several sealed lenses. A buddy has the E-M5 and has shot in the rain before, not needing a case or plastic cover for the rig. And as far as low light or night photo's I use a tripod and have no issues with nightscapes. It isn't the best for capturing stars, etc, but that was not my thing before anyway.

When I want a point and shoot I use an Olympus Tough camera. Water/dust/shock resistant so it can take punishment. A friend of mine had the Nikon version and he took it on motorcycle rides like I do. I got the camera refurbished from Olympus and it hasn't given me any problems.

Sure they're not full frame or APS-C crop sensors, you're not going to get spectacular poster size prints with them (my mirrorless has a 40MP mode so can) but how many of us actually do that? At best I do roughly 8x10 prints, rarely. I don't have Photoshop or Lightroom on any of my computers. I use a free photo editing program called PhotoScape that, in my opinion, does a lot more than a free program should do. I mainly use it for resizing for the internet, some cropping and some touch ups or changing to black & white.

I have several friends that are into photography more than I am. They use full size Nikon and Canon rigs. One guy that uses Nikon is a pro as he gets paid to go to events and shoot, he also does location portraits. Several drag their enormous cameras around on their BMW or other motorcycles. Where there's a will, there's a way. Everyone has their preference. I choose not to use a full size camera anymore.

BTW, when I got the mirrorless I told my wife the cost would be offset by the sale of the Sony. I haven't sold the Sony yet. It's still a great camera and I have quite a nice kit with it but I don't use it anymore. I guess it's a backup.

I started on Nikon, switched to Canon, and last year got on the Sony train with the A7R2 and I haven't looked back. With a metabones adapter your can use all of your Canon L glass (which also works on Arri and RED cameras) too. The metabones isn't perfect, but being able to use that glass is well worth it. Throw a native Sony lens on there and you've got an incredibly powerful and compact setup that fits great in your tank bag. The only downside to the A7 series is the battery life. You will need many batteries.

Seriously considering a mirrorless as a replacement to my full-frame DSLR. The sensor technology for point-and-shoot/mirrorless cameras has come a long way recently. The only drawback I've heard of with a mirrorless camera is "freezing" fast action. That's always been a drawback of non SLR cameras. That said, supposedly the newest mirrorless cameras are doing good with action shots. I'd love a smaller kit, but I also don't want to give up my Canon L series glass. It's a tough call so I'll be checking back on this topic to see what everyone says.

Back
Top Bottom