Pennsylvania Wanderings: Hiking Boot Edition

Haggis, as soon as we get closer to heading out there I'll definitely hit you up for suggestions, etc. Maybe we can even meet while out there? Thanks again for the inspiration. :)

Haggis, as soon as we get closer to heading out there I'll definitely hit you up for suggestions, etc. Maybe we can even meet while out there? Thanks again for the inspiration. :)

Sure thing...I'd be happy to help you along. We even have a nice creekside camping area here at the homestead that you'd be more than welcome to use.

Awesome!! I definitely appreciate it and will certainly follow-up as we get closer to getting out there. Cheers! :)

Hiking along the North Country Trail...

Passing just north of us is a section of the North Country Trail. What's the North Country Trail you ask? Well think of it as the Appalachian Trail's longer, not so famous, northern cousin. Running from Eastern New York to Western North Dakota the NCT connects a series of hiking trails, historic sites and scenic areas to form a 4600 mile conduit for hikers. We have done sections of it in a couple of different states over the years but recently realized we haven't done much of the local sections of the NCT. Well with a beautiful September day encouraging us to abandon our hunter/gather ways we decided to hit a section of trail we have always thought 'bout hiking but have never got around to it.

Stuffing a minimal amount of gear in the ole backpack and throwing it and ourselves into the FJ we made our way northwest into the Allegheny National forest. Cruising the forest roads I was headed towards a section of the NCT that lays between Mayburg Hill and the Hearts Content Scenic Area. This portion would see us winding through the finest hardwood forest in the world and towards the original surviving stands of ancient white pines left standing. Finally I got to put some dirt and mud under the FJ's tires...

DSC01635.jpg

We headed down a seldom used two track and made our way to the trailhead of choice where we left the Cruiser in the weeds...

DSC01658.jpg

Than we headed into the green, brown and grays of the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania...

DSC01636.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

A few miles in we came to one of the scattered camping shelters...

DSC01645.jpg

The picnic table at the shelter and a bit of stick made for a good rest for a couple portrait...

DSC01653.jpg

Than it was back into the woods...

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

With a bunch of forested miles under the soles of our boots and the beginnings of belly rumblings that granola bars just can't satisfy we headed back to our ride. On the way back out of the ANF we decided to trek on through Hickory Wilderness Area and do a little walking along Hickory Creek...

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

So after an excellent day of woods running we loaded up and headed home...

DSC01670.jpg

...and took care of those belly rumbles...

DSC01631.jpg

...with a plate of our homegrown tater and sweet corn to complement some turtle fricassee. What a great day.

Nice trek. After reviewing the whole page it looks like an entire season of ramblings are captured here.

Over a gorgeous Pennsylvania weekend we headed out into the green of the local forests to get some dirt under our hiking shoes. On Saturday we dropped down into "the valley that changed the world" now known as Oil Creek State Park and chose the Miller Run hiking loop as our trek of choice.

DSC02342.jpg

Once out of the truck and beating feet in the woods we went from deciduous forests into the evergreen groves of hemlocks and pines that crowd next to the small, burbling streams that cut throw the hollers of the hilly landscape.

DSC02303.jpg
DSC02311.jpg

DSC02309.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

Along the trail's path we pass the echoes of the oil industry that got its start here in this quiet corner of the keystone state.

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

Once of the trail it was back to the homestead for some hammock time and some cookin' over a backyard fire.

DSC02343.jpg

DSC02352.jpg

DSC02346.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. I get a kick out of checking out old machinery. I always ponder how they got the stuff there, and why they chose that location.

A Mid-December Hike...

...with spring like temps in the 60's and the end of deer season I headed out into the woods. After having spent the last two weeks chasing down deer, this day was just about enjoying the outside. I stole the wife's new Tacoma and escaped down the dirt roads of our neck of the woods...

image.jpg

Following the rural roads I eventually found my way over to the Erie Wildlife Refuge. Parked at a gate I left the truck behind and started hiking up the old access road...

image.jpg

Passing by the multiple ponds I saw a good half dozen beaver swimming about. There was evidence of their presence everywhere...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

At the end of the ponds I turned into the woods and started boondocking my way back towards the parking area...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All too soon I was back at the truck and heading back home.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I just read this thread and all I can say is wow, the pictures are just awesome! You have some great views up there.

Good stuff. Nothing like a nice hike in the woods to bring things into focus.

Winter is a little late in arriving this year. Good to see you taking advantage of the weather and scenery.

-Andy

The end of a mild winter was the impetus of a hike a few weeks back down in the Cooks Forest State Park. Located along Route 36 in Clarion County, this State Park is hugely popular and is best experienced during off times as the mass of people can be daunting. But with a sunny but chilly weekend we were sure that there would be few suburban explores out walking the trail. And we were right. We laced up the boots and headed down the Longfellow trail and into Cooks Forest stand of old growth pines and hemlocks.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That's some beautiful country you've got there. My only experiences in the area have been frantic interstate travels. Looks like I need to slow down and get off the beaten track next time I'm through there. Thanks for sharing.

I've been reading a lot of your threads for ideas on places to check out! I'm planning on getting out Sunday to do a little exploring. I have to drive to the Ebensburg area to pick up some replacement shocks for the Tacoma so I'm planning on taking the back way up through Punxy and stopping at Cooks Forest for a little hike.

Back
Top Bottom