Pennsylvania Grand Canyon Camping?

marty22877

Adventurist
So the wife, dog and I are planning a memorial day camping trip to get away from it all. First we were going to go up to the Ithaca region but we hear that it gets very crowded up there. So we decided why not stay in beautiful ole PA. So my question to you folks is this, any good areas for remote camping in the PA Grand Canyon/Wellsboro area? I've never been and I've always wanted to go.

I've done some research and it seems like everything is either an RV park up there or a parking lot that you can put your tent up in. That's not camping to me. I've got a 4wd truck that's lifted so to get into any tricky spots isn't going to be an issue. An outhouse would be nice, but if not, that's fine too.

Many thanks in advance,
Marty

Howdy Marty!

We use to disperse camp in the Tioga Forest quite a bit in the old days but not so much as of late. Come to think of it its been 8 years since I've been over there. I can't remember the exact details of where we camped but I know I could drive to 'em. I'm not to sure what the dispersed camping situation is out that a way these days so I would recommend that you contact the regional office over in Wellsboro at 570-724-2868. The staff there is very friendly and helpful. The nicest state developed camping without the RV feel in that area is up at Colton Point on the west side of the gorge, its really just some tent sites (25 of them i think) and a outhouse but has a more woodsy feel. Over Memorial day I would be sure to reserve a site if you chose to use that area. There are some really nice picnic pavilions across the road along the gorge rim if your looking for a spot to set up lunch at. There use to be some driveable trails but those are gated these days, but there's lots of interesting dirt to travel about. If you like to hike there are some great trails there and the trout fishing in the small feeder streams is awesome.

Anyway have a good time and post up some pics. We'll be over that way mid May but will be floating down the Gorge on Pine Creek.

Howdy Marty!

We use to disperse camp in the Tioga Forest quite a bit in the old days but not so much as of late. Come to think of it its been 8 years since I've been over there. I can't remember the exact details of where we camped but I know I could drive to 'em. I'm not to sure what the dispersed camping situation is out that a way these days so I would recommend that you contact the regional office over in Wellsboro at 570-724-2868. The staff there is very friendly and helpful. The nicest state developed camping without the RV feel in that area is up at Colton Point on the west side of the gorge, its really just some tent sites (25 of them i think) and a outhouse but has a more woodsy feel. Over Memorial day I would be sure to reserve a site if you chose to use that area. There are some really nice picnic pavilions across the road along the gorge rim if your looking for a spot to set up lunch at. There use to be some driveable trails but those are gated these days, but there's lots of interesting dirt to travel about. If you like to hike there are some great trails there and the trout fishing in the small feeder streams is awesome.

Anyway have a good time and post up some pics. We'll be over that way mid May but will be floating down the Gorge on Pine Creek.

Sounds good, thanks a lot for that. I'll check out Colton Point now. And I'm fine with less driveable trails. Normally we drive somewhere and then hike it anyway.

Looks like that's a no go. No Pets Permitted

Camping: vault toilets
The campground is open from the second Friday in May until the third Sunday in October. Rustic toilets, tables, fire rings and a sanitary dump station are provided. Campsites at Colton Point are not reservable but are available first-come, first-served. Pets are prohibited.

Marty.. returned your email. Gave you directions to a pet friendly primitive site just outside Colton Point SP.

Dont forget to pick up a Gazzateer.. maybe our paths will cross out there.

Enjoy..

Back
Top Bottom