Paying for fuel

So how many of you pay cash for gas or diesel? How many use a Visa or MasterCard? How many have a dedicated gas company credit card?

I've had an ExxonMobil card for many years, paid in full every month.

I just got a letter from them telling me that, starting February 1st, using their ExxonMobil card to pay for fuel would result in a 6 cents per gallon discount. No minimum purchase needed, no upper limit.

Cash (check card).

We fuel at the same grocery store we buy food, average discount is 20 cents per gallon. They're tied in with Safeway, so I can use the discount while traveling at Shell, etc.

Credit card that earns points. I had an Exxon card for a while starting in about 1996, but sometimes found those stations hard to find when far outside of BFE Texas, gave up on it circa 2003 or so.

Southwest Airlines credit card. We buy everything with it, and pay it off at the end of the month. That way, we don't pay for plane tickets for family vacations.

I buy fuel and everything else for daily living on a credit card that gives me points. Every year I rack up a check from amex for around 300 bucks and I redeem points in my visa every year to the tune of another 300 bucks in Amazon gift cards.. I pay both cards off every month and don't pay a dime of interest. Its all about making other people's money work for you.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use Discover for all daily expenses and pay it full at the end of the month, they give you cash back and bonuses on certain purchases throughout the year. At the end of the year we use that money to go on vacation or buy Christmas gifts.

Business capital one. Gives me cash back. I use it for just about anything I can. If it's not business related I use another cash back card.

Like others I pay them off at end of cycle so I don't pay interest.

Amex. We earn hotel points. We pay all our daily living expenses through it and have not paid for a hotel room in 6 years.

Safeway, so I can use the discount while traveling at Shell, etc.
Likewise, though I tend to only use Safeway when I've accumulated a decent discount. Saved $0.30/gallon in Flagstaff last weekend that way. Was nice.
Otherwise, I stick to QuickTrip as much as I can, paying cash.

I had an Exxon card for a while starting in about 1996, but sometimes found those stations hard to find when far outside of BFE Texas, gave up on it circa 2003 or so.
One empathizes. I seem to remember getting something in the mail from them telling me they were completely pulling out of Arizona. Shortly after, I got a new card and a limit increase. "Enjoy the freedom to spend $5,000 on fuel at establishments nowhere near you!" Heh.

Cash (check card).

We fuel at the same grocery store we buy food, average discount is 20 cents per gallon. They're tied in with Safeway, so I can use the discount while traveling at Shell, etc.

This is what we do - but with a little extra twist

Our grocery store - Smith's - normally gives 2x the fuel points if you buy a gift card. They often have promos where you get 4x points for buying a gift card. So, as a result, we buy a ton of gift cards. We use Amazon Prime subscriptions for a lot of our basics - TP, deodorants, diapers, shampoo, soap, etc. When we go grocery shopping, we just pick up a few Amazon cards to pay for the subscription stuff. If we're working on a project that requires a trip to Home Depot, we pick up a gift card for HD on the way. (We live close enough that the Smith's is on the way to pretty much everything for us.) Even do the gift card thing for going out to dinner - just pick up a restaurant card if we're planning on going out later in the week.

As a result of this, we stack the fuel points up big time. Yesterday I filled up with an 80¢/gallon discount. Usually, we have the max discount of $1.00/gal saved up. The nice thing about Smith's is that they're all over Utah, so we can fill up with these discounts just about anywhere in the state. The discount also carries to other Kroger stores, but with varying success. When we travel to California, we can use our discount at Shell stations, but the discount caps at 40¢ (I think). The discount also only applies to 35 gallons per fillup, so we usually fill both of our cars at the same time, or bring our gas cans along to top off. Of course, if I'm filling the Bronco, I usually consume most of the gas myself. Bronco is a thirsty one, w/ a 32 gallon tank.

If it sounds like a pain, it can be, but the savings are worth it to us.

Nice, never thought about doing that. It'd be easy for us too since we're so heavily dependent on Amazon up here.

This is what we do - but with a little extra twist

Our grocery store - Smith's - normally gives 2x the fuel points if you buy a gift card. They often have promos where you get 4x points for buying a gift card. So, as a result, we buy a ton of gift cards. We use Amazon Prime subscriptions for a lot of our basics - TP, deodorants, diapers, shampoo, soap, etc. When we go grocery shopping, we just pick up a few Amazon cards to pay for the subscription stuff. If we're working on a project that requires a trip to Home Depot, we pick up a gift card for HD on the way. (We live close enough that the Smith's is on the way to pretty much everything for us.) Even do the gift card thing for going out to dinner - just pick up a restaurant card if we're planning on going out later in the week.

As a result of this, we stack the fuel points up big time. Yesterday I filled up with an 80¢/gallon discount. Usually, we have the max discount of $1.00/gal saved up. The nice thing about Smith's is that they're all over Utah, so we can fill up with these discounts just about anywhere in the state. The discount also carries to other Kroger stores, but with varying success. When we travel to California, we can use our discount at Shell stations, but the discount caps at 40¢ (I think). The discount also only applies to 35 gallons per fillup, so we usually fill both of our cars at the same time, or bring our gas cans along to top off. Of course, if I'm filling the Bronco, I usually consume most of the gas myself. Bronco is a thirsty one, w/ a 32 gallon tank.

If it sounds like a pain, it can be, but the savings are worth it to us.
To me it just sounds like a little extra work for a decent saving on gas. Awesome.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Cash (check card).

We do this at Ralph's (grocery store).

I try to pay cash for everything as I can more easily track my expenditures since the transaction is "felt" vice swiping a card and never handling the money. If it's not in my wallet, I "don't have" the money. Dave Ramsey is rubbing off on me... Haha

We do it via Von's to get the $.20 discount at Chevron. Points don't accumulate on purchase of wine so we don't get much! o_O

We do this at Ralph's (grocery store).

I try to pay cash for everything as I can more easily track my expenditures since the transaction is "felt" vice swiping a card and never handling the money. If it's not in my wallet, I "don't have" the money. Dave Ramsey is rubbing off on me... Haha

Are you able to yell out: "I'm debt free" :D yet?

Wow...$1.65 this morning for 87 octane. I suspect it will be up to $4.65 by the end of April, which is consistent when I usually hit the road for long trips. :tango

Wow...$1.65 this morning for 87 octane. I suspect it will be up to $4.65 by the end of April, which is consistent when I usually hit the road for long trips. :tango

Lucky Bastid! $2.83 here last time I filled up at Costco. Gotta love CA taxes...not!

Back
Top Bottom