Overlanding a vintage vehicle

hairy_apple

Adventurist
http://overlandadventureco.radapplehost.com/2016/06/overlanding-with-a-vintage-vehicle/

Everyone loves classic old cars, and 4 wheel drives are no exception. Just take one look at the market for old Broncos, and Land Cruisers and you will see that they are growing in popularity as collector vehicles. CJs, FJ40s, Broncos, Scouts, ect are awesome. Classic looks, easy to work on, capable vehicles off road, tough to kill and always make for great photos in their element.

11828567_851054518311872_3188846312894239226_n_zps9zwo7tea.jpg

Now, there are a lot of people who will tell you that you need a newer, more reliable vehicle for remote travel. You need electronics, and traction control, and all the goodies that modern 4x4s provide. Maybe for some people, but there are a lot of positives to overlanding a vintage vehicle that are easy to overlook.

Toughness. There is something to say for steel bodies and bumpers. These vehicles have already survived 30 plus years, do you really think that little rock in the road is going to take it out? Not a chance. Older 4x4s are built like tanks, and they just take abuse well. These vehicles were built for off road primary, and it shows in how tough they are on the trail.

Reliability. Now, here is where I hear the biggest argument against old vehicles. They just aren't as reliable as a new 4x4 would be. I agree. To a point. But look at how much a new 4runner or Tacoma would cost you to go buy right now. If you put 1/3 of that money into a old vehicle, it would be just as reliable as it ever was. The biggest reason old vehicles are thought of as unreliable, is that they are just worn out. They've been used hard their whole life, and are just in need of some basic maintenance most of the time. More importantly, with fresh new parts, I'd say they are MORE reliable then newer vehicles. So many modern 4x4s suffer from cheap plastic parts, to save weight and increase fuel economy. They have complicated electronics, that if one part fails, can leave the vehicle unable to start, or running very poorly. We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back, that I drove through what I would call a deep puddle, the water was 3/4 the way up the tires. Deep, but not insane. A transmission sensor got wet, and it set off every light on the dash. It was shifting strange and we aborted the trip and limped home. $400 later, the sensor was replaced and all the lights went away. Contrast that to my old FJ40, which I have had water up to the bottom of the dash and had no issues other then my cell phone was in my pocket and died when my pockets went under water. I would make an argument that if most of the major components of a vintage wheeler were repaired correctly, or replaced, they would be every bit as reliable and dependable as a modern 4x4. However, even if they are not, this brings me to my next point...

Easy to work on. We all know that old guy that can fix a carburetor with a hair pin. Why? Because old vehicles are easy to work on. Lots of extra room in the engine bay. No crazy electronics that you aren't quite sure what they are. The parts are visible, and accessible to diagnose and repair in the field. You're not going to have to remove the intake manifold to replace a spark plug in a 1970's Jeep (my daily car you have to remove the intake to replace the rear bank of spark plugs). No strange tools to keep shade tree mechanics from repairing their cars, no special dealer service tools needed. Just some sockets, wrenches, and screw drivers and you can fix just about anything on old vehicles. Toss in a few spare ujoints, belts, hoses, fuel line, ect and you shouldn't have to worry about much of anything.

10639356_10203680894447797_2167240398372873663_n_zpsd83ccf52.jpg

I'm not saying everyone should get rid of their late model vehicle and go buy an old truck. It's not for everyone. my cruiser is loud, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. It rattles like crazy sometimes, the transmission and transfer case howl like a banshee going down the freeway. The doors leak, the back hatch leaks. the windshield even leaks if it rains hard enough. There is no A/C and the heat from the engine is brutal in the summer. It's slow, I'm doing 60ish most of the time on the freeway. It's got lots of little gremlins, strange noises I can't track down, odd hiccups from time to time. It's not the most comfortable way to travel, not by a long shot. However, there is something about it that's just special. Something you can't quite put your finger on. I just find myself smiling whenever I drive it. You feel so much more connected to the what you are seeing around you. You feel the temperature changes with elevation, you smell the trees. You're not just in a little air conditioned box watching the world go by through your windows. You can feel your vehicle, listen to the gears and the engine and it becomes part of you, you get to know your old vehicle like it's an extension of your body. You know what every rattle and squeak is. Travel is so much more of an adventure in a vintage vehicle. People stop to talk to you about your ride, ask you what year it is, what engine is in it. I have met people who I'm still friends with today because they stopped me in a parking lot to ask my about my Land Cruiser. The whole experience of travel seems to change with a vintage vehicle. You stop caring as much about keeping to a schedule or getting to a destination at a certain time, and start to just enjoy the drive more. It's not for everyone, but for me, there is nothing like an old school 4 wheel drive.

_DSC7017_zpsonggze0t.jpg

12003026_868931489857508_4341226619250332690_n_zpswxeipvei.jpg

13319924_1008077075942948_2731490104720760377_n_zpscekoqotf.jpg

Current rig is a 2004, my next one will be a retro 1968 with a few choice modern upgrades here and there. Still using a basic "KISS" philosophy though.

I've always felt just the opposite of the trend. Modern vehicles require a significant investment in specialized skills and diagnostic tools to be considered "reliable" in remote areas. Problems will happen. I prefer them just new enough to handle fuel management and throw diagnostic codes; just old enough to have physical cables/linkages and run on a fried computer. A failure of the modern bits may decrease comfort, power, or efficiency, but wouldn't leave you stranded.

FWIW: the only vehicle that's ever left me stranded was a modern Toyota, due to electrical failure, on a dry road.

I don't want any vehicle that can be shut down remotely or where the "ghosts in the machine" can do the same thing. I still have my EMP proof 1969 Cougar Convertible for many of the same reasons.

Cam

I don't miss the days of rejetting carburetors and resetting timing to get performance at high altitudes. My FJ40 lost a vacuum advance, and I had to do a 150 mile return trip at 40 mph. I have no problem saying my Fj Cruiser is just a capable, more dependable, and I don't feel completely beat up after a 14 hour run to get out west. Remember fan belts? The highway shoulders used to be littered with them. Now you change a serp belt every 80k miles and forget about it. With a Scangauge mounted in the truck, I can keep an eye on pretty much everything from fuel pressure to trans temp. The classic iron is very cool, but I'll keep what I've got. BTW, there have been some experiments on late model cars and EMP. It turns out they are very resistant to it. The body makes a pretty good Faraday cage even when not actually grounded. If bonded to ground it's even better.

Last edited:
Great thread!

I think you covered the key points behind ownership pretty well. It's not for everyone. For the record, the only failures that I have had on any vehicle I have owned have been from electrical issues. Our 2006 Xterra cut out and drifted to a stop in the middle of the road about 3 years ago. I was taking my brother-in-law to the airport at the time. Fortunately, I was only a 1/2 mile away from the house and was able to quickly get into another vehicle. After giving up on fixing it, I had to have it towed to a Nissan dealer. The culprit turned out to be a relay for the ECU. It was a recall item that I was not notified about... kind of inconvenient of Nissan since it will turn an otherwise solid truck into a 5000 lb paperweight. My Tacoma had the ADD actuator for the four wheel drive fail... twice actually. Once on the trail and the second while checking it before a trip. Fortunately, when it failed on the trail that day it didn't end the trip. @Dave can attest to how capable the truck was on that trip in 2 wheel drive. That failure convinced me to eliminate the electronics from my 4WD completely and convert the truck to manual hubs.

What a great thread - thanks for sharing!

I have a soft spot for old iron and am actually keeping an eye out for just the right "beater" to play with. Maybe even to tow behind the Dodge as a dedicated trail rig.

Very cool, I love the design and the simplicity of the older rigs, but for me the biggest concern is the availability of spare parts. Just take a look at the list of parts for the first gen bronco that's posted above, it's pretty wide but still there is a lot of stuff that is not produced now: http://www.carid.com/1969-ford-bronco-accessories/
Sometimes you have to find a part that's been discontinued for a long time and you have to fabricate your own.

Last edited:
I too appreciate the classics.
IMG_20160206_114913371.jpg

I am not at the 30 year mark. Mine is 20+ years as a 1995 Hummer. The technology for this 6.5 NA Diesel is 30 years old.

Thank you.

I love vintage trucks. Especially this old Power Wagon. Tried to sink it in the sand but with wide tires, 4:10's and a "Anti Spin axle it couldn't be done and that was in 2X4! Pretty good for a bone stock "Grandpa" truck.

I've had this one for a while but will have to let it go. We moved and parking spaces are at a premium.

"Rough but Reliable"

It's hard to beat a simple stock vehicle.

The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned is a "mostly" stock 1972 CJ5. 1972 was not a great year for CJ5's, weak frames, terrible gearing, poor parts availability, . . . . It has some see through bodywork, is still riding the stock springs, shocks, and bushings. The windshield wipers don't work, and I broke the speedometer cable. The only modification is an SM420 that I got for free and a pertronix in place of the points. But that factory v8 (all 150 hp of it) starts every time, and it will cruise up the mountain or down the freeway at 10mpg without complaint any time I ask it to. It is still my daily driver when I am in the US.

I bought it out of a guy's back yard, where it had been sitting for so long that I had to cut down a tree to get it out. I replaced the gas tank, brakes, and one set of wheel bearings when I bought it. In the 13 years and 100K+ miles since then, it has needed the fan belt tightened twice, and a fuel pump (in December). It has never left me stranded, and I would drive it cross country without a second thought.

CJ5 - Alabama2.JPG

How many new vehicles can be run until they are abandoned, sit in the woods long enough for trees to grow around them, and then give you another 100K?

Last edited:
I absolutely love my 1989 Defender. I wouldn't have it any other way! I've been pushing it to the limits lately and flirting with getting farther and farther away from home. All my friends with similar incomes seemed to dig pretty deep into the ol' credit and got pretty new Jeeps that they're too afraid/careful to take out. Granted, it raises the blood pressure coming down a steep grade, but life it too short for boring, reliable cars!

13620278_10157147086885553_1352157079422671904_n.jpg

Ha Ha Ha, Brother you are preaching to the choir. I am not so sure about the new fangled ones on the bottom row, but my daily driver is a 70 series, and when I move back to the US next year I'll be looking for a clean 60 series. I am a convert. We go through Pentastars out here in the desert quicker than we change tires.

Still seems weird to call it vintage, but I rock a 1985 Bronco and it does a great job. Been plenty reliable aside from the problems that all old Fords tend to have.
baa844f817eb2e1494b9b38adb2f8efb.jpg

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Indeed it is, sir. 100hp of carbureted fury.
I had a remote control one of those as a kid!!! So cool.

Drove a montero all over the Middle East when I was there. They were all out of Pajeros.

Brett C.
IronworksTactical.com - owner

Back
Top Bottom