Mike's 2017 F-150 build

azmiik

Adventurist
Well, we finally outgrew the 2003 Supercab, so it was time to move on to something with 4 real doors.

Picked up a '17 XLT FX4 model with the 6.5' bed, because why not make it just that much more fun to drive/park in San Diego.

Shortly after getting it home.

IMG_3463.jpg

Went on a quick break in run to Az and happened to find some snow.

IMG_3469.jpg

Still trying to work out the plan for a build up, but I know that AT is working on a Habitat for the 6.5' bed and though the OZtent is quick, its not that quick.

Planned Upgrades:
  • Lots

Completed Upgrades:
  • None

I've not always been a Ford fan, but lately they are killing it with their truck designs!

Nice rig!

Right now I am looking at suspension upgrades and think I have it narrowed down to either something from Icon or a Fox/Camburg combo. Any thoughts from the experts around here?

Icon: Probably a Stage 3 kit with an eye to upgrade to something with reservoirs in the future.

Fox/Camburg: Looking at the Fox 2.5s and Camburg UCAs with 2.5s in the rear as well.

Rear plans at this point are to get things built out then look at a Deaver pack with right spring rate and lift.

Mike

Having been a Ford truck fan all my life I have fallen out of love with them recently. That ecoboost engine, however, is the single greatest gas engine every produced. Even though Ford has neutered them since 2011 they still produce tons of usable power and that turbo whine is just beautiful to hear. If I could drop an ecoboost in my Tacoma...

Wear your first set of tires out figuring out what the truck doesn't do in it's stock configuration that you need it to do to meet your needs. Build it to suit from there. No experience with either lift, I've been impressed with what I've seen from Icon lately. Apples and oranges, my team owner is running Icon stuff on his JK, he's been more than happy with it for an off the shelf kit.

@bob91yj , that is good advice, just hard to follow :) Last time I was around @Dave I think I caught a case of his shipfitters disease. I will have to try on focus more on the backside and get some more use out of these Goodyears.

Mike

So I got tired of the Proclip stretching across the dash and moving back and forth. I also thought since I was pulling the dash apart it would be a good time to get an external speaker mounted up for an upcoming radio install.

What I had before. The ProClip mount is pretty solid and a quick fix, I just felt it might be pulling up the back of the dash a bit and wanted a little more flexibility in mounting.

IMG_4571.jpg
IMG_4573.jpg

So apart comes the dash

IMG_4574.jpg

Found scrap of plexiglass from another project to use as a backing plate

IMG_4575.jpg

Some measuring and drilling

IMG_4577.jpg

Getting ready for a test fit

IMG_4578.jpg

Test fit on the bench

IMG_4580.jpg

Back in the truck.

IMG_4581.jpg

I had some grommets laying around I used to protect the USB and speaker cables. So far works as expected, might need some more RAM mount accessories though.

Since I had the time off schedule for MRV, I figured I might as well make good use of it and get some parts of the shelf. At about 60,000 seems like it was about due.

Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 3 kit with 2.5" coil overs and rear shocks.

Little bit of difference in the rears.

IMG_7334.png

Looks a little nicer.

IMG_7337.png

Stock with a 1" poly space as a temporary measure for tire fitment. Lead times killed all my scheduled plans.

IMG_7338.png

Ready for the car wash and alignment shop.

IMG_7340.png

Back
Top Bottom