Overland Expo WEST 2018: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
3713212B-ACCB-4FAF-908E-1F870810B138.jpeg

24E5EA1B-8DF9-4F7C-B830-0CCABC7979C1.jpeg

02227081-8D55-41D2-9D9D-649D3B29E3F2.jpeg

F7C7B941-762F-4E22-A490-3B64C0DAECDA.jpeg

Thanks for all the great photos, Dave! I had zero time to cruise the vendor area; I was teaching classes all weekend.

Bad use of soft shackles on that Hi-Lift.

Hope the AA booth had lots of traffic.

Also, why, why, do companies keep hiding winches so you cannot access or even see the drum? Even on a Wrangler????
The reasons I have heard are many, varied, and none of which are practical.

Seriously, one was to "prevent theft". When was the last time you heard of just a winch being stolen? Maybe a whole truck but just a winch?

Visual aesthetics. Okay, I'll pass on that - way too easy to provide an ample dose of snark. Regrettably this is driven by manufacturers for new vehicles with OE winches, but also by the market somewhat as clever fabricator with eyes on SEMA figured out a way to squeeze a winch behind the Styrofoam and plastic of a bumper and slap a Hawse fairlead on the outside. Typically, as it caught on in popularity, customer desire drove other businesses to meet the demand.

Education can't keep up with the overwhelming availability of readily available cash/credit and emotion for those wanting to perform this potentially tragic modification.

Also, why, why, do companies keep hiding winches so you cannot access or even see the drum? Even on a Wrangler????

It really makes no sense at all. Clearly, whoever signs off on that decision has no idea how a winch works or what is needed for safe operation.

Visual aesthetics. Okay, I'll pass on that - way too easy to provide an ample dose of snark.

IMHO, nothing looks cooler than a solid winch on the front bumper. 8274 comes to mind :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom