Overland Expo sold?

hidesertwheelin

Adventurist
https://lodestoneevents.com/f/lodestone-events-acquires-overland-expo

Indianapolis, IN. January 22, 2019 -- Former Family Events leadership - Lindsay Hubley and Jessica (Hubley) Kirchner - form enthusiast event production company, Lodestone Events. The company is pleased to announce that it has acquired Overland Expo, including two world-class adventure travel enthusiast events taking place May 17-19, 2019 in Flagstaff, AZ and in the Eastern United States in October, 2019. The Overland Expo series is comprised of how-to seminars, hands-on field training, driving demos, hundreds of exhibitors and thousands of campers with adventure-ready motorcycles and rigs staged in a festival environment.

The fact that it grew as fast as it did is testimony to the vision and hard work of Jonathan and Roseanne. I volunteered there several times, and have seen first hand what they poured into it. If it outgrew their resources, they were smart to sell to an experienced organization, rather than let it flounder. Kudos to them for starting Expo!- The premiere event of it's kind in the US.

Hopefully the EXPO will be better organized and managed.

So I guess we know how you feel :) - I've seen this exact post in 3 different threads on 2 different forums now.

I wish the Hansons the best and hope they did very well with the sale and can enjoy a little slower pace of life now.

Todd Z.

Thanks very much to, er, most of you.

The simple fact is, the Overland Expo did indeed outgrow us, and it was time to let a professional organization take it over. The event was more or less an accident to begin with, the brainchild of Roseann when Overland Journal was struggling and we needed income and a publicity boost for the magazine. She gave up working for an African conservation organization to build the Expo, and you all know the rest. It hasn't always been a smooth ride, but overall it's certainly been a success, even in the face of competing events. But the larger it grew, the less time we had to do what the Expo promoted, which was never in our game plan. We had no intention of becoming professional event organizers. With the sale, we'll be able to devote all our time at the show to teaching and interacting with people—and we'll be able to go back to more writing and conservation work.

The simple fact is, the Overland Expo did indeed outgrow us, and it was time to let a professional organization take it over. The event was more or less an accident to begin with, the brainchild of Roseann when Overland Journal was struggling and we needed income and a publicity boost for the magazine. She gave up working for an African conservation organization to build the Expo, and you all know the rest. It hasn't always been a smooth ride, but overall it's certainly been a success, even in the face of competing events. But the larger it grew, the less time we had to do what the Expo promoted, which was never in our game plan. We had no intention of becoming professional event organizers. With the sale, we'll be able to devote all our time at the show to teaching and interacting with people—and we'll be able to go back to more writing and conservation work.
Best of luck to both of you and thank you for the hospitality at the events and support of American Adventurist. See you both in May

Hey @Jonathan Hanson , I’ve always enjoyed your writing and opinions. I follow your website, how can we follow your other publications?

Thank you, that is much appreciated!

I'll be continuing with Overland Tech and Travel, I still write for Wheels Afield, OutdoorX4, and Tread, and will probably expand the magazine writing again. And there will be new books soon. I think we'll modify the Exploring Overland site to be more of a resource for our future work.

I realize just how much you and Roseann poured into Expo over the years, and I completely understand and support your decision.

Moving forward, we too are nearing our decade mark as an organization and Overland Expo has been a big part of our community - THANK YOU for the opportunity to be a part of it through the years.

It has been our honor to be associated with Overland Expo, we hope to see you in May!

Back
Top Bottom