Overland Expo -- SEMA in a field?

I'll boil all of my thoughts and opinions down to one simple statement: You get out of something what you put into it. Having attended both Expo East and West, and having had the privilege to be on staff and work as an instructor, I've gotten a lot out of my expo experiences. I've worked hard, played hard, and learned a lot. It was very intentional. Does that mean all my experiences have been flawless? No. My attitude and outlook shapes how I look back at the summation of the total experience based on what I was willing to put into it. The alternative is an attitude of entitlement where everything has to be catered to me. Luckily that's not my view.

That said, I'm sadden that a small vocal minority of "Negative Nacy's" is getting so much attention. The internet and the ubiquity of social media has given even the most mundane of minds a louder than deserved voice. Just look at the number of "satire" accounts on Instagram. Sure they're good for the occasional laugh but some of them are down right hostile and sometimes aggressively personal. It's not the least bit ironic that some of the people behind those accounts were some of the first people on the "overland bandwagon". It seems like just because someone can say something they feel obligated to and in order to be heard they need to take a contrarian stance. I dunno. I just can't see paying them any more attention than I do the snot I've been blowing out of my nose lately. Damn allergies.

Back
Top Bottom