Outback Swags - Review

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
I have been using a Pioneer Tent from Outback Swags for a couple of months now and love it. I did a review of it for the Blog @Blkwgn_wyfee and I do at FamilyOffTheMap.com Since the review I have gotten more time with it, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 nights. I am posting the entire blog below and will follow up with a few updates.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Swagging across the country with Outback Swags

So what is Swagging?

Swagging is to travel with one's personal belongings in a bundle, and that is what I did from New Jersey to Southern California with my Outback Swags Pioneer Tent keeping me comfortable all the way.
elderly_swagman.jpg

Photograph of a swagman, c. 1901​

Swag tents are not very common here in the US, but have a long history in the Australian outback. Swagmen were primarily transient workers who traveled the outback in search of work, carrying their shelter and belongings rolled on their backs. Traditionally the swag was little more than a bedroll.

Luckily for me, I did not have to carry my kit on my back, I had a Subaru Outback to do the work for me.

lrm_export_20160830_221139.jpg

The Subie
The mission was to pick up the car in New Jersey and see some of what the country has to offer while camping my way back to California. The Pioneer Swag was shipped to NJ where I was to fly in and meet it. I wanted to take a test run at setting it up, but it is such a simple design it really was not needed.

img_20160726_031232.jpg

First night along a creek in PA.​

The first night in the swag was a warm and humid night (as most on this trip would end up being) so it was great to be able to have the top open to allow airflow but when it started to rain in the middle of the night it was easy to just reach up and close the top. Along with the No-see-um mesh being great for ventilation it also allows great views of the stars.

outback-swag-2.jpg

The full no-see-um mesh top allows great views of the stars floating above Rabbit Valley CO.​

Passing through the midwest brought some wild weather with substantial winds, rain, and even a few nearby tornados. While my tarp and jetboil struggled to keep me dry and warm my dinner, the 12oz ripstop canvas of the Pioneer Swag shrugged the weather off like nothing. I was unable to get a picture during the night so you will just have to settle for this post-storm sunrise along the Missouri River.

outback-swag-4.jpg

On the banks of the Missouri River in South Dakota​

When deployed it is 7 feet long and 36 inches wide, giving more than enough room for my sleeping bag, along with space for the next day's clothes without feeling crowded There are also two pockets, one on each side that help to keep smaller gear like my book, a water bottle, headlamp and car keys out of the way but easy to find.

outback-swag-5.jpg

Outback Swags Pioneer with Sierra Designs Sleeping Bag​

Since your sleeping bag and pillow stay inside the swag, set up is quick and simple.

swag_setup_steps_3b186a6f-346e-4ad7-a01c-73a144f5e9fb_1024x1024.gif

Animation courtesy of Outback Swags
Simply unroll the swag, clip the poles, and guy the ends. That's it. The straps are sewn to the foot of the tent, so they don't get lost and are right where you need them when you roll it back up. At the head of the tent there is a long narrow pocket to store the poles, but I found there was no need to remove them from their position, just pop the ends out and roll it up with them in place.

Now my biggest complaint with most tents is that they are almost impossible to get back into their storage bags. The bag for the Pioneer Tent is the perfect fit. Big enough that you can get the swag in easily, but not so big that there is wasted material.

20160825_180107-01.jpeg

Pioneer tent with pad, Sierra Designs 30 degree sleeping bag, and Hyperlight pillow rolled and stored in the bag.​

Since this road trip I have had 3 more nights in the swag, and the more I use it, the more I enjoy it. There are a couple of things I would like to see in future versions though. When I got the rain in PA, it was still nearly 80 degrees with almost no wind. It would have been nice to have a window similar to what is on the head of the tent at the foot to give a little extra airflow with the top closed. I would also like to see a second zipper pull on the bag. I like to be able to pull from both ends of the zipper and meet in the middle when closed. It seems easier to get the zippers closed when they are done this way, and gives you a backup if one of the zippers should fail.

outback-swag-3.jpg

The gravel was deceptive, solid rock was hidden below at my camp in WY, but the Subie rim worked perfect.​

outback-swag-1.jpg

Rabbit Valley, CO.

20160826_074003-01.jpeg

Mmmm Big Bear Coffee Roasters

20160826_084730-01.jpeg

Corned beef hash on the Skottle in Angelus Oaks, Ca​

upload_2016-10-31_12-47-37.gif

The more I use the Swag, the less often I stake it out or use the center pole. I have found that even in a strong wind, all that is needed are the end poles and the single guy line off of each end. The profile is low and the material is thick enough that there is no flapping in the wind which is great.

The main downside that I see is that there really is no way reasonable way to get into or out of the tent in a rain without getting the interior at least a little wet. Once the tent is closed, it sheds rain no problem, but I have found the need for a small tarp if you want dry entry.

Last edited:
Great review. Is the sleeping pad part of the Swag? I have been thinking that one of these would be good for kayak trips. What is the packed size? I might be able to squish one in the kayak front storage area.

-Andy

After seeing Cris set this up in the super secret American Adventurist Eastern Proving Grounds, it's a quality product. But I think it's main downfall is the top entry and unsheltered end entry. While it's set up works fine in fair weather conditions I can see it being harder to ingress in wet, rainy weather. Come in through the top and your getting the inside wet and if you come in the end your sithering through the muck to get in your bag. In certain climes I think this tent could be problematic.

After seeing this and @TangoBlue's Oz Jet Bunker Tent, if I was going to spend this kind of money for a tent like this I think I personally would go with the Bunker.

Seeing this deployed by folks in Oz, most of the time the swag is under a vehicle awning if the weather is less than perfect. That's how I'd imagine using it.

Now that I have some bomber products brackets on my old ARB awning and used with Yakima cross bars. I could stick the awning on the Subi and have a swag and go quickly "out of dodge" for a lightweight camping option, (ala Cris' cross-country adventure)

That said, my cruiser is always packed and ready to go with the hard shell RTT and full kitchen. so unless I care about MPGs, I'd probably just go with that not-lightweight-option ;)

That said the swag is cool, and I see a use for it. Thanks for the review.

Btw, i learned from an Ozzie pal of mine that one of the "whole points" of the swag was to keep it rolled on the roof and out of the vehicle - thus freeing up space and keeping the dirt out of the rig.

Thanks for making this post! I was super interested in one, but as small of a detail as it may seem, I will look elsewhere because of the 1single zipper thing. 2 zippers seems almost essential to me.

I totally misread what you said about the zippers, I thought you meant the swag only had single zipper pull, but I see you said the bag! haha, not nearly the big deal i thought it was

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up!

I recently bought a Kodiak Canvas swag and "seasoned" it with water in the yard but haven't taken it out overnight yet. I think it should work well in the drier Western US climates that I plan on mainly using it in.

Seems like a great swag, and I emailed Tristan a couple times and he was really communicative. I ended up going with a Kodiak swag. They are having a close-out sale and $150... But i should mention for anyone that is interested in the Outback, on Campsaver, the outback is $239 and if you use "twenty100"it knocks off another $40 bringing the total to pennies under $200!

Swag / Swagman...sorry couldn't resist, wyfee lived in Australia for several years
This discussion not complete without Waltzing Matilda...and Slim Dusty
After the Boer Wars the Aussi soldier came back home but had no jobs...they carried their belongings in their swag and the great coat they wore is thought to be named Matilda. Waltzing = roaming the outback Cheers, Mates

I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these for solo camping....and I think it'll be great set up under my ARB awning when it rains.

I now have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 nights in it. Still very happy with it, and it shows no signs of wear.

20170408_172502-01.jpeg

These are from a short overnight trip to Arizona last weekend.

20170408_185003-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't forget how you were trapped in your tent while it was pouring rain. Because there was no way out of the tent without soaking the inside. Just sayin.

Don't forget how you were trapped in your tent while it was pouring rain. Because there was no way out of the tent without soaking the inside. Just sayin.
I have not had that issue, but it is a downside that I mentioned. I have set up a basic tarp over the entrance a couple of times just to be safe though

Just a quick 1 year update. Over the year I have had the swag, I have spent about 60 nights in it, and I still love it. It is not perfect, but it is a quick and simple option. So far it shows no signs of wear other than a slightly bent pole from when I tripped over a guy line in the dark, but it does not affect the function at all.

Back
Top Bottom