Otto - The Tundra

java230

Adventurist
To start, I have never bought a new truck. Coming from a 4runner with 275k miles this is nice. Otto.... My wife calls is silverado (as in silver auto), also a Chevy truck, so I told her it could be silver Otto. Two words :D

Debated a lot, front runners were GX460, Colorado zr2, and the Tundra. GX is too much $$ used even and small V8, Colorado is really unknown reliability, but good MPG, Tundra won out. Old school 6speed means shitty MPG, but the big V8 and Toyota reliability and here we are.

Anyway, new truck,picked up with a whopping 7 miles on it.
49943467638_f6bf9a3937_h.jpg

Grey on Grey interior. I was actually expecting black (I didn't read specs close enough I guess. Also the TRD Package).... But this is good. Grown on me greatly.
49944267172_f15baab986_h.jpg

500 miles later we are home. It EATS highway. Loving it.
49943467333_1aa2baa07f_h.jpg

First Mod :D
49943467548_6fee651738_h.jpg

Friends are enablers..... Ordered a whole pile of parts before I even owned the truck.....
49970927963_00db9d0cc8_h.jpg

49971445796_1a1a5df92b_h.jpg

Mod #2, Lamin X on the OE Fogs. TRD Package includes black LED headlights, and LED fogs as well.
49971445416_8d6ccebbbc_h.jpg

49971445336_e1a23df65a_h.jpg

Have RCI Sliders and a canopy on order as well..... Looking at storage options for the bed, bed slide (half width) or drawer? Options.... But Excited for a new (mild) build. The 4runner is sticking around as backup car and beater to leave at trail heads when we backpack.

Planning bed storage, which this thing desperately needs. Taking opinions.

Option one
Two drawers, full width. They would be 49 1/2" wide, by 65" deep. ~24" drawer width each side. Fridge on drop slide on drivers rear corner. Pros:big flat area for dog. Lots of drawer space: Cons, needs fridge drop slide, and harder to fit taller items if needed for "truck" style work.

Option two:
2/3 width drawer, Fridge on the bed in the drivers rear corner. Maybe hard to access the area behind the fridge? Pros: can carry taller stuff, lighter weight, no fridge drop slide. Cons: harder to access back corner, less storage.

Next UHMW slides or drawer guides? Hmmm. Guids lock open/closed. But add weight and eat space.

Opinions, GO!

And since everyone likes pictures. I should have gotten bigger tires! These may look a little small with the lift....
49985264231_1356a2a390_b.jpg

Last edited:
Planning bed storage, which this thing desperately needs. Taking opinions.

Option one
Two drawers, full width. They would be 49 1/2" wide, by 65" deep. ~24" drawer width each side. Fridge on drop slide on drivers rear corner. Pros:big flat area for dog. Lots of drawer space: Cons, needs fridge drop slide, and harder to fit taller items if needed for "truck" style work.

Option two:
2/3 width drawer, Fridge on the bed in the drivers rear corner. Maybe hard to access the area behind the fridge? Pros: can carry taller stuff, lighter weight, no fridge drop slide. Cons: harder to access back corner, less storage.

Next UHMW slides or drawer guides? Hmmm. Guids lock open/closed. But add weight and eat space.

Opinions, GO!

And since everyone likes pictures. I should have gotten bigger tires! These may look a little small with the lift....
49985264231_1356a2a390_b.jpg

I'd remove the seat behind the driver. Build a seat delete and mount the fridge there. The weight you remove will equal the weight add, net zero gain. ;)

I'd remove the seat behind the driver. Build a seat delete and mount the fridge there. The weight you remove will equal the weight add, net zero gain. ;)

Did that in the 4r, and with the kid getting older I was finding I didn't have enough seats for friends often.....

I could likely make a reasonably easy to remove one, but I am sticking to the bed for now I think.

And running 2/3 width drawer on the pass side. I also found I didn't have the vertical space often in the 4r needed to carry some things and they would have to go on the roof. Having a skinnier drawer gives me the option to have taller cargo enclosed.

I thought about having an aluminum drawer box made. Save weight and space. Until I got my quote back.... Out of my price range. So plywood it is. Cut sheet Sent to a cabinet maker buddy. Uwmw profiles ordered for slides. Need to figure out what I want for latch.

I thought about having an aluminum drawer box made. Save weight and space. Until I got my quote back.... Out of my price range. So plywood it is. Cut sheet Sent to a cabinet maker buddy. Uwmw profiles ordered for slides. Need to figure out what I want for latch.

This is something that I've had in the back of my mind for a while.

8020.net t-slot railing as a frame.
Lightweight King Starboard plastic sheet edged with a router to create a top that's flush with the t-slot railing
Thinner ABS plastic on the sides of a thickness that will slide into the t-slot rail snugly.

Then a drawer that's just an inverted version of of the outer container only smaller.

Did that in the 4r, and with the kid getting older I was finding I didn't have enough seats for friends often.....

I could likely make a reasonably easy to remove one, but I am sticking to the bed for now I think.

And running 2/3 width drawer on the pass side. I also found I didn't have the vertical space often in the 4r needed to carry some things and they would have to go on the roof. Having a skinnier drawer gives me the option to have taller cargo enclosed.

Aluminum is neat, but in my experience it “sweats” and you get to deal with weird condensation issues. Not my favorite for tool storage.

Lightweight King Starboard plastic sheet edged with a router to create a top that's flush with the t-slot railing
Thinner ABS plastic on the sides of a thickness that will slide into the t-slot rail snugly.

Then a drawer that's just an inverted version of of the outer container only smaller.

Cool idea for sure.

I looked at doing it with 8020, I just felt it ate up too much width being 1" ish wide.

However I do have 8020 parts on order for the roof rack :D

Aluminum is neat, but in my experience it “sweats” and you get to deal with weird condensation issues. Not my favorite for tool storage.

Good to know, I guess I made a good choice then. this will be a mix of MDO and cab ply.

I have a DFG Offroad aluminum fridge slide on order too!

Tell the friends to find there own ride. :rolleyes: Besides in 4 years she'll be driving.

Alternative for 8020.net: https://www.tnutz.com/

This happened last week. And yes I am a dork.
50009209428_c1be3122a9_b.jpg

Now I am mentally ruminating on switching options. I don't pan a ton of lighting. Spod or Switch Pros worth it? Id likely go switch pros as they can run daisy chained controllers. One in the bed, one in the cab would work well, but at the same time, do I need to turn driving lights on from the bed or bed lights from the cab?

I went with sPOD. I like how the wiring terminates at the under hood unit. With the Switch Pro you need to wire it to a bus bar or directly to the Switch Pro wiring. I felt the sPOD will be a cleaner install... now if I could get my brackets back from powder coating id wire it up.

I went with sPOD. I like how the wiring terminates at the under hood unit. With the Switch Pro you need to wire it to a bus bar or directly to the Switch Pro wiring. I felt the sPOD will be a cleaner install... now if I could get my brackets back from powder coating id wire it up.
Interesting. I Thought you wired straight to the switch pros.

Back
Top Bottom