Opinions on Tire Choices - 255/85-16 size

Mike

Adventurist
Founding Member
Hi all, if you happened across my M1010 thread, I have bought another one and it's being shipped right now. I know it will need tires when it shows up. My last M1010 I had put some 35x12.5-17 tires but it required a 2.5" lift to clear things. This time around I am not planning on any lift and I can get 33" on without any issues. It has factor CUCV spec (stronger than civilian spec wheels) 16x6.5 wheels and the factory size was 235/85-16 (31") My plan is to use a 255/85-16 tire which will fit the rig and wheels. Unfortunately there are not many options but there are a couple good choices but I would like some real world opinions (like have you actually used the tire and how did you like it).

The two I am looking at are,

Toyo Open Country M/T
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX

Thoughts on these?

Hi all, if you happened across my M1010 thread, I have bought another one and it's being shipped right now. I know it will need tires when it shows up. My last M1010 I had put some 35x12.5-17 tires but it required a 2.5" lift to clear things. This time around I am not planning on any lift and I can get 33" on without any issues. It has factor CUCV spec (stronger than civilian spec wheels) 16x6.5 wheels and the factory size was 235/85-16 (31") My plan is to use a 255/85-16 tire which will fit the rig and wheels. Unfortunately there are not many options but there are a couple good choices but I would like some real world opinions (like have you actually used the tire and how did you like it).

The two I am looking at are,

Toyo Open Country M/T
Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX

Thoughts on these?

I'd strongly recommend looking into the Toyo M-55's on a vehicle like the M1010. Pricy, but bulletproof from what I've read. Bonus, they would look at home on that truck.

I'd strongly recommend looking into the Toyo M-55's on a vehicle like the M1010. Pricy, but bulletproof from what I've read. Bonus, they would look at home on that truck.

I saw them but way overkill for this rig and add another $500 to and already expensive bill. M1010 is a max GVW of 9900 lbs and I am likely to be close to 8500 or less. Stripped out box, truck weighs in about 6500 so that leaves a lot of headroom.

I put Cooper ST MAXXs on the Tacoma. Same size. 255/85R16s. Like them so far.

Someone here with some inside knowledge as an investigator on fatalities, litigation and NHTSA stuff regarding tire failures (big business that tire manufacturers throw lots of money at to control the messaging) once referred to Cooper’s as “Death Terrains”.

YMMV, but I don’t trust them.

Toyo gets my vote.

X2, another vote for M-55’s

Problem with M-55 outside of being 50% more cost is everything I have read is they ride hard because they are made for much heavier vehicles (i.e. medium duty trucks). I was fairly set on the Toyo M/T but wanted to get opinions on the Coopers since I don't have a lot of info about them.

Last edited:
I ran that size KM/2s for years and liked them. Then I switched to ST/Maxx and really like them. Never had a flat on either brand. Coopers are much quieter, balance better, have better traction on roads and dirt. BFG’s are taller, heavier and have better traction in rocks and soft sand. The coopers wear much better, the BFG’s would chunk after 3/4 tread and wear uneven no matter how often I rotated them (3 sets). I did rip a sidewall on one so bad the cords were showing on a root. I swapped it to my spare and replaced it 18 months later, and it still had full pressure after all that. BFG makes a tough tire. I would buy the coopers again though, they are better for my use (roads, dirt roads, some sand). If it was a dedicated trail rig then the KM’s would get my vote.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Having never really heard any bad about the Toyos, other than price, I ordered a set of M/T today. Found a really great price online that Discount Tires matched, which saved me $200 from what I was expecting to pay. Win win in my book.

Back
Top Bottom