ODB II and I-Phone 5 Suggestions

12husky

Adventurist
Founding Member
I have a 2002 4-Runner and an I-Phone. What have you guys had luck using for engine codes, etc? I have started looking at options, but would like some firsthand experience before I start buying hardware and apps.

I use PLX Devices Kiwi, which is a wifi solution. It plugs into the OBD II port and and creates a wifi signal that you connect with the phone.

You have to connect manually each time, it's a bit cumbersome. I would recommend any of the Bluetooth solutions instead over the manual wifi options for that reason.

The app I use is FuzzyCar, it has a lot of great features without the price of the other apps (some are $50 plus!). FuzzyCar will not only show you the code, but also the definition, and allow you to turn off the Check Engine Light.

Hope this helps.

My brother has the $50 bluetooth dealy, it works well! I am impressed, it reads like a VERY expensive diagnostic tool...

They make apps for these? I've been served well by my Actron Pocket Scan and the accompanying booklet. If the code isn't in the book a google search usually reveals it.

Yeah, there are several, a couple are free, but like anything, the good ones cost, but not too much...

I use PLX Devices Kiwi, which is a wifi solution. It plugs into the OBD II port and and creates a wifi signal that you connect with the phone.

You have to connect manually each time, it's a bit cumbersome. I would recommend any of the Bluetooth solutions instead over the manual wifi options for that reason.

The app I use is FuzzyCar, it has a lot of great features without the price of the other apps (some are $50 plus!). FuzzyCar will not only show you the code, but also the definition, and allow you to turn off the Check Engine Light.

Hope this helps.

Does the Kiwi work well besides the wifi? I never use bluetooth but my wifi is always turned on.

The Kiwi works well, yes. Any of them are going to do the job. The question is the interface; Wifi (downside, you can't connect to a hotspot while Kiwi'ing), Bluetooth (can have multiple bluetooth devices connected) and wired from the iphone plug connector to the OBDII port.

I decided to go with the Kiwi 2 Wifi and Dash Command. I used it tonight to check codes and will report back once I play with some of the other features.

Back
Top Bottom