NORTH CAROLINA

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Crowd Sourced! Share information and ask specific questions about this state here.

This section is focused on documenting the following:
  • Adventure Opportunities & Destinations
  • Trails
  • Campsites
  • Watercraft Put-Ins/Take-Outs
  • Local Info, Highlights & Lore
  • Local Regulations & Local Insight

IMG_0236.JPG

091717podc.jpg

Sam and I backpacked this beautiful loop in the Pisgah National Forest.
Starting at NC 215 we joined the Mountain to Sea Trail, past Devils Courthouse,
Art Loeb Trail to Black Balsam Knob, Sam Knob Trail to Flat Laurel Creek Trail to NC 215 and back to the truck!

About 12-15 miles with 2 wrong turns.

Watch the video of the trip -

anyone know of any vehicle accessible camping sites with a view/overlook?
Check out old NC105 also known as Kissler Hwy on the east side of the Linville Gorge. The southern part of the road has some pull offs with views of the gorge and awesome sunsets. Good look.

Some great places to explore in the coastal Carolina region:

Cape lookout national seashore
Portsmouth Island
The OBX (outer banks)
Geat Lake
Croatan NF

Those are just places close to me....

There is an easy trail right off the blue ridge parkway called Heintooga Bottom Rd (has a few alternate names also) found at 35.573512,-83.180188 ... Expect to spend an hour or so on this dirt road. Any Subaru, 4x4 etc is welcomed on this road. It comes out just east of Cherokee NC, and you can go into Gatlinburg using this route.

Would a full size 1WD with oversize tires make it? Is there a lot of tree roots or rocks?

If your around Jacksonville, NC then I recommend the New River inlet beach over on the south banks of the new river where it empties into the Atlantic . You can access it via the town of North Topsail Beach and New River Inlet road. Be warned though, you will definitely need a 4wd and depending on the sands conditions you might want to air down. You will get fined if your vehicle gets stuck not to mention the cost of a tow truck to pull you if you don't have a winch. Worse case, your stuck when high tide rolls in and starts to flood your vehicle. So keep those in mind if you head out there!

If your around Jacksonville, NC then I recommend the New River inlet beach over on the south banks of the new river where it empties into the Atlantic . You can access it via the town of North Topsail Beach and New River Inlet road. Be warned though, you will definitely need a 4wd and depending on the sands conditions you might want to air down. You will get fined if your vehicle gets stuck not to mention the cost of a tow truck to pull you if you don't have a winch. Worse case, your stuck when high tide rolls in and starts to flood your vehicle. So keep those in mind if you head out there!
Ha! I had a buddy lose his S-10 there back in the 80's. He went left (away from the river) into the mud flat and promptly sank to his axles. We tried to pull him out with 3 jeeps with no success. Tide came in and there she sat... all those KC hiliters on the chrome roll bar did him no good whatsoever :). There is good fishing at slack tide there and good kayaking in the estuaries also. Semper Fi.

Back
Top Bottom