NJ to CA via PA and NV advice needed.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

He showed me around when I passed through on the 2015 No Highways Tour. Even gave me some ideas for remote camping in Allegheny National Forest. Also guided me on a hike to a rather breathtaking view. Very good time.

If you make a minor route adjustment, I'm just off the PA turnpike. I-80 (nortern route) is pretty crappy. Although the PA Turnpike is a little more expensive, it's worth it. Much better highway (in my opinion). Plus the drive from my place to Haggis' would be really scenic and you could stop off and see some cool sites along the way if you want. But no pressure. I know how these trips are and if you try to stop everywhere to see everyone you'll never make it home. I'm just ball busting (proceeds to cry himself to sleep because he's not worth visiting)

Ok, so assuming I take the turnpike what route would it be? Assuming I am looking at the correct thing on the map, it is labeled as the 76 and runs south of the 80. And what would I be looking at Toll wise. I am looking at the online toll calculator, but not sure where I would be entering and exiting.

A little story about the PA Turnpike. I was in the Navy stationed at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in the mid 80's. A buddy needed a ride to Harrisburg to get his car at his folks house. We jumped on the Turnpike and hauled ass to Harrisburg. Looking at our toll ticket, the toll should have been $2 and some change, when I got to the toll window the lady said $27 and some change. I asked her WTF, the ticket said $2, she kindly responded...the tickets are time stamped, you made it from point to point too fast, so there is a $25 fine on top of the toll!

A little story about the PA Turnpike. I was in the Navy stationed at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in the mid 80's. A buddy needed a ride to Harrisburg to get his car at his folks house. We jumped on the Turnpike and hauled ass to Harrisburg. Looking at our toll ticket, the toll should have been $2 and some change, when I got to the toll window the lady said $27 and some change. I asked her WTF, the ticket said $2, she kindly responded...the tickets are time stamped, you made it from point to point too fast, so there is a $25 fine on top of the toll!
I bet those horses were pooped, too.

I'm not sure on the most current fee structure for tolls. I have EZ-Pass and I roll through tollbooths. Haven't looked in a long time.

Avoid the turnpike, it's always a cluster. The fees are high, it's always under construction and the people that travel it are oblivious to common sense. Not that any interstate in PA will be a breeze as it is construction season in the state. The nicest route across PA is to follow Route 6 across the northern tier, nice two lane passing through some nice scenery and small towns. But it would be a time eater though. Best bet for time and conscience is I-80.

Looking forward to your visit this weekend Chris. Got a bear roast picked out, Michelle is baking a couple of pies tomorrow, and the super secret AAV Eastern Proving grounds is ready for your swag.

Ok...about the pies...they might not last till Sunday. Just sayin'.

Had sone damn Cali hippy show up here in a Subie late last night. He seemed harmless enough. Stuffed some pie in him and set him out as bear bait. Damn bears would'nt even touch him so we sent him back out on the road today.

I've crossed the US a number of times from PA to CA (and vise-versa) by taking 81 South from Harrisburg down into Knoxville, TN and then 40 all the way across. Virginia is beautiful, with the Blue Ridge mountains, TN and AR have a lot of great parks, rivers, waterfalls, caves etc. Set the CC at about 110mph to get through OK. Stop at the Big Texan for a steak in Amarillo, and then you're back in the good old southwest with tons of open land and possibilities! Whatever you choose, enjoy the adventure!

I've been working in a list of things that Scott hasn't thought about buying...

List complete!

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Where the hell are you Chris? You'd think a body could check in now and again and let us know how it's going!

i have made it home safe from an awesome trip. There are a few pictures on my instagram feed and i am starting to go through photos for a proper trip report, but that will take me a few days.

all in all, 14 states, 6 days, no problems, and a long list of places to return to.

Back
Top Bottom