Nissan Titan Build plans

Southwest Roamer

Adventurist
I did a search and didn't find much related to the Nissan Titan used for overland/adventure builds, so I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread. I have always been a full-size truck guy, with my first vehicle being an 87 F-150 and owning a Long bed 99' F-250 Power Stroke Super cab for 13 years. I feel like the Titan falls into a middle ground of Full size and mid size though. On one hand its nearly as big as a comparable F-150 or Tundra, but has smaller axles and feels like a smaller truck to drive than those comparisons. I think this is largely due to the fact that the Titan has a very short hood, which makes it feel more like a more powerful Tacoma from behind the wheel.

I have owned this truck for nearly two years and put the Flippac to use often for photography jobs that required travel. Most of the camping has been solo so far and only a couple trips with the family. We have yet to take a camping trip since having twin boys a year ago, but my six year old son has gotten to "camp" the Titan/Flippac some. As my home life has developed a routine and the entire family has voiced their opinions on wanting to get out on some trips soon, I have decided to start building the truck for that purpose.

I figured I would document some of my build here, but want to leave it open for other Nissan owners to do the same. So far I have done very little to the truck except putting on a set of BFG KO2 All-Terrain in a 275-70-18. I don't see the need for really large tires on a vehicle with small axles and over 380 ft. lbs of torque and 315 HP, so I went with the stock tire size for the Pro4X Titan. Should be putting on all the suspension parts next week some time and will add pictures then.

The Plan.
Upgrade the tired suspension (mostly products I just ordered from PRG)
  • New struts and shocks (coil-overs will come soon)
  • New Upper Control Arms with Heims and Uniball
  • lift about 3" in the front
  • Deaver spring packs for additional load capacity and slight lift.
  • heavy duty shackles to replace factory weak-ass ones
  • reinforce factory shackle hanger or build a better one
Swap larger brakes and calipers from 2008+ Titan parts

Rock sliders for use as a step up and added protection

Build a cabinet system for the bed with power, water, heater, and possibly a shitter.
  • I love the look of the system Dave has from the Goose Gear Company, but unfortunately the cost of that system would be over budget for me.
  • I plan to build my own cabinets for this build

Get a rain fly for the Flippac from AT trailers.

Add an awning to the Flippac. I really want to use a 270* awning and I have seen it done on a Flippac using an external frame, but I have not decided on that yet.

Possibly add a Tru Trac limited slip to the rear, but obviously low on the list.

i-2md7Qt9-L.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to this build!

For the rain fly, San Luis Obispo Sail and Canvas (aka SLO Sail) makes the one I have and is the source for the ones AT sells. I also had them make my shower enclosure for the Fiamma awning which has been a huge hit with the missus.

Do yourself a favor and opt for the extra vents - I have four on mine and two windows and it's great - you want max ventilation when it's pouring rain/high humidity. The fly worked very well at Snoverland Expo this year.

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/

Thanks Dave, I knew SLO Sail made them, but I noticed they don't list them on their website anymore. I am calling AT Trailers today to place an order for one and thanks for the input on the vents because I wasn't sure. The charcoal grey is the exact color of my truck, so it should match well too!

Just placed an order with Greg who owns PRG for a front suspension system and he was very helpful. Should have it by Friday next week, in time for a weekend install. He recommended his custom Bilstein 5100's with Eibach 600lb springs and billet tops. In addition I went with new upper control arms from Rough Country that use ball joints opposed to uniballs. Greg said he would love to sell me a set of his heimed upper arms at double the price of the RC arms, but said they are absolutely not needed for my intended use and build. I did order heimed sway bar extensions and adjustable cam bolts for the lower control arms though. As soon as he has the Deaver packs in I will order the back kit and longer Bilstein 5125 shocks, but my truck may ride nose high for a couple weeks until then. He also said I may want to look into airbags as I add more weight....

I loved my Titan/Flippac combo when I had it. Looking forward to watching you build yours.

Although I am excited to start working on the suspension next week, I just found out I have to do some unplanned exhaust work. My truck developed a small exhaust leak not long ago, which at the time I did not think would be a big problem. A visit to the dealership and some TitanTalk searches, and I have learned Titans are notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds and the dealer said there is little doubt mine are cracked from the sound of it. The really bad news, is that I am outside the warranty by about 5 months. I am now looking into options to put some long tube headers in place of the very expensive and prone to cracking stock units. RoamingRobertson, did you have this problem?

My exhaust manifold was cracked for years. It was like $1800 to fix it and I just didn't care that much.

I had the off road package and it went everywhere I wanted it to go. I had a leveling kit for a while bu after I added significant weight to the rear bumper, I took it off and it leveled itself. I doubt you'll need bags unless you start hanging stuff off the rear. The Flippac is so light you really can't load enough stuff in it to need the bags.

One tip, if you're looking for cheap and easy storage versatility, heavy duty 6' folding tables fit perfectly on top of the bed rails in the Filppac. One gave me a nice step with sliding storage underneath. A second one gave me enough space for a couple of kids to sleep.

I work at a GM dealership, exhaust manifold may be covered by an emissions warranty, did they check that for you?

Although I only have 79k, I am outside the warranty by 5 months.... It may be a good thing though, since the Nissan tech and service writer said the replacement manifolds crack as well. In fact they said they have done several vehicles multiple times while under warranty. I found a company that offers long tube headers with new mid pipes that have high flow cats, so you can still pass emissions when the factory exhaust header/cat combo is removed. It does require an Uprev custom tune, but the reviews for this fix seem to be overwhelmingly positive, plus you gainroughly 30 hp and 30 Tq.

Received some of my new suspension parts, but still deciding on the stuff for the back and larger brake calipers and rotors. After discussing with Greg at PRG, I went with Rough Country upper control arms and Bilstein 5100's with Eibach coils that are roughly 20% stiffer than the stock ones. This should lift the front of my Titan about 3.5" and handle a heavy bumper and winch combo well.

i-DKgHBpM-M.jpg

I love my titan! I would look into beefing up the transmission mounts as well, that has been a huge problem area for me. My camper weighs around 1200lbs and after having Deaver add two leafs to the stock pack it handles the weight of the camper and anything everything else i need.
IMG_2363.JPG

@Positivecody when you added the Deaver leafs did you keep the overload spring? I just ordered the Deaver C30 mini spring packs designed for the Titan, but they will replace my overload springs. Greg at PRG said they will slightly increase the overall spring stiffness, but will actually decrease the load capacity a little too. From what I have read, and Greg seemed to confirm this, The Deaver C30 combined with longer shocks increases usable travel and has a more linear feel compared to the extremely progressive stock rear suspension, but for heavy loads I may want air bags. By the way your setup looks awesome! I ride a KTM 300xc, what are you riding?

Back
Top Bottom