New to The Jeep World

Welcome to the Jeep world. Your going to have a blast. What do you have? I see your a dirt bike riders, I'm thinking about getting an adventure bike
i have a 96 grand cherokee laredo zj 4x4 v8. i designed a roll cage and bumper already that i want to add to it (i have photos). i have some epic plans for it. hopefully ill have my drivers license and it will be running by the 2021 desert rendezvous (if it happens). it is still stock and preforms really well, but it sat for a few years so i have to work on it and inspect it. also i can help you with dirt bikes but not adventure bikes selection if you'd like

That is a great truck. I think the zj is one of the best suv's they put out. The only thing I will say about your jeep is to spend some time and $ upgrading/updating the front end. Focus on the wear parts like tie rod/drag link/control arm ends and ball joints. It is a good system just need to ensure there is no wiggle to it. Best way to do that is to upgrade or at least replace.

I miss my ZJ. Had two: a '96 with the 318 V8 and a '97 with the 4.0 I6. Such an underrated platform. I'm looking at picking one up to replace the WJ I bought off my brother.

The only thing to watch out for are the transmissions. It's not a question of if they will go bad, it's just a matter of when, how bad, and how much the repair will be. I'd start setting aside money for a transmission rebuild (if not a spare transmission altogether).

Also, on the V8 ZJ's, you'll want to look into a transfer case swap and driveshaft and axle joint swaps. The full-time viscus transfer case is a weak link as are the CV joints in the drive shaft and axle shafts.

Lastly, the D44A in the rear is an aluminum center section and share no internals with a standard iron D44 housing. So be advised when buying parts you'll have to specify the D44A version not a normal D44 like in an XJ or TJ or the same era.

Beyond that, it's solid platform with a lot of potential.

That is a great truck. I think the zj is one of the best suv's they put out. The only thing I will say about your jeep is to spend some time and $ upgrading/updating the front end. Focus on the wear parts like tie rod/drag link/control arm ends and ball joints. It is a good system just need to ensure there is no wiggle to it. Best way to do that is to upgrade or at least replace.
good to know. yeah it need a new cylinoid, wire harness, and ac recharge. and then everything else i want to upgrade/replace/fab

I miss my ZJ. Had two: a '96 with the 318 V8 and a '97 with the 4.0 I6. Such an underrated platform. I'm looking at picking one up to replace the WJ I bought off my brother.

The only thing to watch out for are the transmissions. It's not a question of if they will go bad, it's just a matter of when, how bad, and how much the repair will be. I'd start setting aside money for a transmission rebuild (if not a spare transmission altogether).

Also, on the V8 ZJ's, you'll want to look into a transfer case swap and driveshaft and axle joint swaps. The full-time viscus transfer case is a weak link as are the CV joints in the drive shaft and axle shafts.

Lastly, the D44A in the rear is an aluminum center section and share no internals with a standard iron D44 housing. So be advised when buying parts you'll have to specify the D44A version not a normal D44 like in an XJ or TJ or the same era.

Beyond that, it's solid platform with a lot of potential.
thank you for the info! yeah the cylinoid went out and a rat chewed the wires so it needs some work. also thank you for the axle info, i haven't found anything on axle stuff. is the front axle a d44 too?

is the front axle a d44 too?

The front is a Dana 30. It's the exact same axle as a TJ or XJ/MJ D30 including the mounts and everything. When I broke my D30 I swapped one in from a TJ and it bolted right now. So, in theory, if you found a D44 from a TJ Rubicon it would bolt up to a ZJ.

The front is a Dana 30. It's the exact same axle as a TJ or XJ/MJ D30 including the mounts and everything. When I broke my D30 I swapped one in from a TJ and it bolted right now. So, in theory, if you found a D44 from a TJ Rubicon it would bolt up to a ZJ.
perfect! and gear tuning on that?

Back
Top Bottom