New Power Wagon

bvanderberg

Adventurist
Picked up a '19 Power Wagon in subtle red. Traded in my 16 2500 Laramie for it. We looked at the Gladiator, Raptor, Colorado, and Tacoma.

Initial impression - We've all seen or read about the capabilities and the engine, but I think the reviews are missing something important. This thing feels unbelievably light and small. It's like taking off a heavy pair of boots and putting on some comfy running shoes. My mind knows it's the same size and nearly the same weight, but I'm whipping u-turns and diving into tight parking spots that I wouldn't have attempted in the old truck. I didn't think I'd like the 12" screen, but the nav is crazy good, real-time traffic overlaid on a beautiful map that has just the right amount of detail for effective use on highway and city streets. I use cruise control a lot and this new adaptive version is great. The LED lighting is fantastic. The tech, audio, and comfort features continue, but the gist is that this actually is a good daily driver.

Step height is a little worse - 19" from the ground to the factory step vs 17" on my Laramie with 34s. AMP power steps should help the wife get in a little easier. I think they'll drop to about 14". That'll make adding 35s doable without her giving me that face. BTW, the Raptor was a close second. She liked the step height/accessibility, but its width ruled it out due to parking hassles.

The reality is that I spend most of my wheel time on streets and highways of San Diego. That means awful traffic, narrow/rough city streets, and tiny parking spaces.
I'll take it out to the desert this weekend for some therapy and to try out the 4wd, lockers, sway-bar disconnect, navigation off-road, and I'll find some place to tension the winch line.

The bolt-on list is short: AMP steps, 35s, and mount my Yaesu.
That's my perspective for what it's worth. Hope it helps someone.

I've got the daily carry stuff loaded. No camping gear yet. There's still room in the ramboxes for more, not to mention the back seat area, door cubbies, under the seats, behind the seats, and the not-so-secret stash bins under the floor.

I was happy to find that a pair (maybe more) of MaxTrax will fit in a single rambox - on top of a full-size folding chair.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_17cf.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_17dd.jpg

IMG_0232.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_17dc.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_17d9.jpg

Congrats! We just picked one up also. It will be our forever truck so we're not using it as a daily driver. We will be using it to pull our trailer after break in. We're coming out of a Tundra and liked the features of the Power Wagon. Hoping to be able to tow on more than just forest roads. Just ordered some White Knuckle sliders to help us mount. We're located in Corona.

Took it out this morning to Mortero Canyon/Dos Cabezas area.
There aren't any real obstacles there, but it seemed like a good place to check everything. No issues.
Size wasn't a problem at all, it felt more like a Jeep than a truck.
Didn't venture too far into the fine sand as I was alone. Headed to Glamis later this month, so we'll see then I guess.
Tried front camera navigation over some minor rocky sections. Very cool to be able to see exactly where I was going.

Anyway, not much left to do but get those steps and mount the radio. I'm on the fence now regarding bigger tires. Time will tell.
I don't think I've ever had a vehicle that I didn't want to immediately start planning a bunch of upgrades. Not doing that feels good but kinda weird.

Congrats! We just picked one up also. It will be our forever truck so we're not using it as a daily driver. We will be using it to pull our trailer after break in. We're coming out of a Tundra and liked the features of the Power Wagon. Hoping to be able to tow on more than just forest roads. Just ordered some White Knuckle sliders to help us mount. We're located in Corona.
2 new wagons in So Cal, may need to plan a Power Wagon weekend

More bits for the truck - 15lb PowerTank, a FlatLink, and HitchLink, soft shackles, and a tree saver. Happy to see that tank fits in the RamBox.
Spending the whole weekend upgrading my brain at Badlands4x4 Training in Borrego Springs.

I'm debating Deadman vs PullPal - goal is self recovery in desert and mountains where there are no trees or rocks. (no rock crawling or sand dunes planned) Trees are scarce around here. Some places I'd want one, some the other. I dunno.

Deadman vs PullPal - goal is self recovery in desert and mountains where there are no trees or rocks. (no rock crawling or sand dunes planned) Trees are scarce around here

I carry both in the truck, and both are great tools. The Deadman is nice that it can be used as a tree strap, or to wrap around large rocks or even as a sling to wrap around a tire for use with a hi-lift. Where the pullpal really shines is in hard ground.

Put a BakFlip MX4 on the truck today.
Kicking myself a little for not saving up and getting another DiamondBack. This isn't in the same class.
Not sad enough for tears though. It's a cover. It covers things. I have things that need to be covered.

Tomorrow: Fill it with camping gear and go play somewhere dirty and wet. Rinse. Repeat.

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

Nice truck. I am really surprised the Maxtrax fits in those boxes. That is just crazy. I feel the PW trucks are the Rubicons of the truck world. I think that is what is so surprising that Jeep actually released the Gladiator, since the PW really covers that need.

Back
Top Bottom