New Possible Project 2018

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
1986 Isuzu Trooper 2 door with 2.3 liter 4 cylinder with 5 speed manual. Paint in decent shape, no dents, rust. It has new shocks, tires, and front suspension parts. Interior great shape, 172,000 miles & runs great.

I've been pondering on CJ5 or Isuzu Trouper for a year. The CJ's I ran across have been butcher up or engine transplants. I wanted something stock, but with some modification's "I" would do as of suspension upgrade nothing too extreme, carb change to a Weber & better exhaust. My old Cali hunting buddy had one & it was a reliable good hill climbing offroad rig. I like the idea of only a 2 door for the fact of a short wheel base. I like the idea of carb'd motor for the ease of working on it.
Has anyone have any experience with the Trouper as of a overland rig?

I think the Trooper, and Isuzu’s in general, are underrated. Back when I was logging a buddy had a Chevy Luv (Isuzu) with almost 500K on it. That thing just would not die.

Like anything, they have their quirks but overall I think the Troopers/Monteros/Pajeros are solid Vehicles.

that is what I wanted to hear Dave. This thing is clean, no tears in the interior (tan interior) just the paint is a bit dull, but nothing I can take care of in Coyote Tan.

I think the Trooper, and Isuzu’s in general, are underrated. Back when I was logging a buddy had a Chevy Luv (Isuzu) with almost 500K on it. That thing just would not die.

Like anything, they have their quirks but overall I think the Troopers/Monteros/Pajeros are solid Vehicles.
that is what I wanted to hear Dave. This thing is clean, no tears in the interior (tan interior) just the paint is a bit dull, but nothing I can take care of in Coyote Tan.

Pretty solid stupid-simple trucks - had driven quite a bit in one in Indonesia back in the late 1980's... called a "Kijang". Nothing fancy but got the job done reliably. Sounds like you got a winner

Call your local auto parts store and ask about of availability of a few simple parts for either engine, (alternator, filters, etc) If both seem to have decent parts support pick your favorite. I suspect the diesel option is going to be more difficult to source parts for when needed.

Edit: I just checked Rock Auto (my new favorite on-line parts company), they had alternators in stock for both engines, 7 options for the gas engine, 3 for the diesel, but one of those was out of stock.

I'd say it's your call from a parts point of view.

I Bought my son an old Trooper with 190,000 miles on it for college. He delivered Pizza for 5 years (yes, he was on the 5 year plan?) while going to school with it, my guess never changed the oil for another 100K. Finally gave up the summer he graduated with 300,000+ miles, (still smelled like a hockey bag & Pizza) we just dragged it to the bone yard and said thanks and good by. It was pretty rusty after many years in Minnesota's salty winters thou.

Call your local auto parts store and ask about of availability of a few simple parts for either engine, (alternator, filters, etc) If both seem to have decent parts support pick your favorite. I suspect the diesel option is going to be more difficult to source parts for when needed.

Edit: I just checked Rock Auto (my new favorite on-line parts company), they had alternators in stock for both engines, 7 options for the gas engine, 3 for the diesel, but one of those was out of stock.

I'd say it's your call from a parts point of view.
LOL! parts are available for it. I've did frame up resto on 1972 Suzuki LJ20 (which was before the samurai) which most of the parts I got came from Canada & Australia. I had no problem getting what I need for that build. I found a company that has everything I need & then some for the 1986 Trouper. This isn't my 1st rodeo on vehicle builds. I done a complete resto mod on a 1946 Willy's CJ2A, I 've built D Stroked small block & 1976 Sprint GMC drag car, built 383 Stroker for 1990 GMC z71 4x4 with custom 700R4 that ate Ford Lightings & Dodge Daytona trucks. Give me a little credit, I know my way around some.

Last edited:
I've got an '02 Trooper and I LOVE that thing. I've got the scary automatic tranny, but as of yet have had no problems with it. It's rusting through in some important areas, so I'm not sure how much life it's really got left (thanks, Michigan, for your over-use of salt in the winter).

I wish they still made them. I'll be in the market in a year or so for a replacement and I'm not sure what to get that offers everything that beast does.

Back
Top Bottom