NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS!

Howdy - Allow myself to introduce...myself.

I'm pretty sure I'm an American Adventurist. My wife and I are both 37 and live full time in a motor home while we travel the country and work. We have been doing this for 2 years. Once we got into Colorado we realized our Mini Cooper tow car wasn't going to cut it anymore. Now we drag behind us a 2015 Manual Pro4x Xterra. I've taken it over Mosquito Pass, Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, we did the entire Alpine Loop, Bunce School Road, Tin Cup Pass and a bunch of other exploring in Colorado. Now we are in Arizona and have driving a lot of red rock roads in Sedona, and just this weekend we got our first introduction to desert pin striping in Bulldog Canyon and Rolls OHV area north of Phoenix. We're having a ton of fun and have only put a hole in one skid plate so far.

I am also a very avid scuba diver, so I seek out anywhere I can to dive. We have a blog for our travels called: drivedivedevour.com
Also drivedivedevour on Facebook and Instagram.

I also have a scuba diving Instagram account called @submechanophobia that is dedicated to my diving photos.

We are in Phoenix until mid November then meandering towards San Diego by way of Yuma for December. January will be in the desert around Anzo Borrego and Quartzite, then we turn back north west as the weather warms up. I'm looking forward to getting dirty all over the place.

I am also looking forward to catching one of the overland meet ups if they cross my path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ABSOLUTELY have to spend some time in the KofA NWR, visit the Tinajas Alltas, maybe run the El Camino del Diablo, swing by the Colorado river via the Picacho wilderness and Indian Pass. There are some great travels in the desert west of Gila Bend as well....

Welcome aboard! :)

Hello, I'm Mikayla from Texas. I'm a member from Expedition Overland, Xterranation, Tread Lightly, and a couple other overlanding sites. I'm working on building my patchy blue Xterra into a 4WD machine, but it's a slow battle with a meager income. She looks like a blue cow, yes, but she runs like a top and is pristine under the hood. I usually take my husband's sexy 4runner out when we travel.

I'm a traveler at heart and planning a trip to Mount Rushmore this Spring. Glad to find this site, and I hope to join some meets in the future.

Welcome Mikayla! Nice to know there's another Xterra on here. We both know how capable they really can be.

Hello, I'm Mikayla from Texas. I'm a member from Expedition Overland, Xterranation, Tread Lightly, and a couple other overlanding sites. I'm working on building my patchy blue Xterra into a 4WD machine, but it's a slow battle with a meager income. She looks like a blue cow, yes, but she runs like a top and is pristine under the hood. I usually take my husband's sexy 4runner out when we travel.

I'm a traveler at heart and planning a trip to Mount Rushmore this Spring. Glad to find this site, and I hope to join some meets in the future.

Welcome to American Adventurist Mikayla!

:TX

Welcome Mikayla! Nice to know there's another Xterra on here. We both know how capable they really can be.

They're great! I'm saving up for a front & back bumper (with tire carrier), and then hoping to do a diesel swap to take care of the power issue.

I've found some amazing deals on Craigslist for used gear. Just bought a 3" Calmini lift kit ($1200) for $100 from some guy in San Antonio. A penny saved is a penny toward my diesel upgrade. :truck

They're great! I'm saving up for a front & back bumper (with tire carrier), and then hoping to do a diesel swap to take care of the power issue.

I've found some amazing deals on Craigslist for used gear. Just bought a 3" Calmini lift kit ($1200) for $100 from some guy in San Antonio. A penny saved is a penny toward my diesel upgrade. :truck

Good luck with the diesel swap. I know Ronin did a successful swap on his first gen.

Howdy All.

My name is John, and I go by Optimistic Paranoid on various forums, a name I shamelessly stole from one of David Weber's military sci-fi books.

Currently live in upstate NY, but I just retired from working for New York in a secure juvenile detention facility. Also just bought a 2012 F250 4x4, which will be set up as a dual purpose rig - tow a small travel trailer (probably a converted cargo trailer, like you see over in the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailer forum) and be an overlanding/backcountry touring rig. Once those are finished - and yes, there will be a build thread with pictures - I will hit the road and spend then next decade or two traveling around this country.

I really like the looks of this place, seems very friendly, and am very happy I found it.

Regards
John

Howdy All.

My name is John, and I go by Optimistic Paranoid on various forums, a name I shamelessly stole from one of David Weber's military sci-fi books.

Currently live in upstate NY, but I just retired from working for New York in a secure juvenile detention facility. Also just bought a 2012 F250 4x4, which will be set up as a dual purpose rig - tow a small travel trailer (probably a converted cargo trailer, like you see over in the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailer forum) and be an overlanding/backcountry touring rig. Once those are finished - and yes, there will be a build thread with pictures - I will hit the road and spend then next decade or two traveling around this country.

I really like the looks of this place, seems very friendly, and am very happy I found it.

Regards
John

Welcome! Congratulations on your retirement. I'm an upstater myself. It scares me to think of how many people I grew up with passed through your facility.... and their children as well...

Hello everyone!

I love all things outdoors; hiking, motocross, backpacking, paddleboarding, camping, four wheeling, you name it! Thank you for putting this forum together Dave, i'm happy to join a community of like-minded adventurist! I drive a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport and ride a 2009 Honda CRF 150r.

Paige
a.k.a @adventure_day

:moto :mud

Hello everyone!

I love all things outdoors; hiking, motocross, backpacking, paddleboarding, camping, four wheeling, you name it! Thank you for putting this forum together Dave, i'm happy to join a community of like-minded adventurist! I drive a 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport and ride a 2009 Honda CRF 150r.

Paige
a.k.a @adventure_day

:moto :mud

Welcome to the Forum Paige. You'll find great people here who share your passion for the outdoors!

:tent

My names John Poole, currently going to school in Johnson City, TN. Been taking my front wheel drive saturn wagon up gnarlier service roads than most of the jeeps and trucks around here. Love to get out and explore and meet people. Hit me up if youre a fellow adventurer in Appalachia.

Welcome Eric - we're enjoying your participation already and looking forward to more from that wonderful area of the country.

Hi Gang,

I'm Steve, from from northern Ohio. I found my way here from the Instagram feed, where I'm @explore_the_USA. I recognize a couple names here from some of the Subaru and other overlanding/adventure forums. I actually joined a few weeks ago, but we were traveling at the time, and service was intermittent, so I didn't post here on the forum.

Deb and I retired five years ago, and this summer our eldest daughter was married. This fall, we took our youngest daughter to college in Seattle, so now we are empty-nesters (at least until winter/spring break.) In anticipation of our cross-country drive to Seattle, we decided to spend the return trip exploring parts of the US. I've got a 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Ltd 5MT (turbocharged) that I bought new, which until mid-summer was bone stock, and only had 37,000 miles on it.

Our plans were/are to spend long vacations exploring the US, going to places where other folks don't, as I hate crowds in general, and especially on vacations. We want to get to those out of the way places that don't necessarily *require* an offroad vehicle, but having one makes the trip more enjoyable, such as dirt and gravel roads, forest roads, easy trails, etc. Of course I want the ride to be comfortable getting there on the endless miles of highways, too.

Last week we arrived home after a fantastic 43 day trip exploring the northwest/north-central states. We skipped a lot, and didn't end up on near as many back roads as I'd hoped, but we still saw some amazing places and met interesting people. We (well, I) can't wait to get on the road again. We learned some lessons we'll apply to future trips. I'll add my build thread and trip thread where applicable, copy/pasting from other forums.

Build thread: Steve & Deb prep a 2008 Subaru Outback for cross-country traveling
Trip thread: Steve & Deb's travels across the USA in a Subaru Outback (Sep-Oct 2015)

Thanks for this place to learn and share,
Steve

(BTW, I just ordered my patch and sticker. I'll have to clean the bugs off of a spot to stick it on the faring.)

12118635_747147855415122_6912056774284207150_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom