NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS!

Hi there! ;)

Oh, you'll like it here much better than there. I do. :D

Well hey, Mr Steve! Looks like you had a great time out to Seattle.

Than there? I hope you mean in the plural sense of there. I wasn't being specific to any one site.:) Some sites fit some personalities, some not so much. Some give me a headache.

Hi all. SRJ-1 new member signed up for the Rendezvous today. Very new to over landing and 4x4 travel, not new to camping. Chevy 2004 4x4 truck. Plan to bring myself and maybe 1 more.

Hi all. SRJ-1 new member signed up for the Rendezvous today. Very new to over landing and 4x4 travel, not new to camping. Chevy 2004 4x4 truck. Plan to bring myself and maybe 1 more.

Welcome! Where's home?

Hey, you guys sound like you're all about my style of camping: vehicle-supported wilderness exploration. My idea of a great camp is one where I separate far away from modern establishment and can successfully carve out a little piece of modern comforts for myself. This means that I leave the water, electricity, and even the roads behind and then have to make sure that I can reestablish all that for myself and my wife or friends.

My rig is a 1994 M998A1 HMMWV, upgraded to a 200A 28/14V alternator and with a 4L80E transmission for that drastically improved highway performance. My camp equipment is a mixture of mid-grade backpacking equipment, low-end car camping equipment, and pretty stout military surplus gear. As it is, I can generate about 4000W of power off of the running truck (want solar power to reduce fuel consumption...currently just charge batteries while travelling), I have 20 gallons of water and 20 gallons of diesel in appropriate Sceptor military containers, have running warm water thanks to a field sink setup that works quite well for a tolerable shower, radio equipment suitable for everything from <1 mile (VHF/UHF) to about 500 miles (HF NVIS), and a nice diesel-fired space heater that absolutely inappropriate for anything less than a 15 person tent...

As you can tell, my gear doesn't necessarily scale well together, but it's a blast to collect and get things working together where they generally should not. In time, I'd like to pick up an M1101/M1102 trailer and outfit it as a non-permanent light duty camper with a set of gear scaled for 1-3 people. And since my mindset is modularity, it'd be great to have an MGPTS shelter in storage so that if I was ever having a large rally-style campout, I could enjoy unloading camp from the truck and having a good base for 10 or more people.

Hey, you guys sound like you're all about my style of camping: vehicle-supported wilderness exploration. My idea of a great camp is one where I separate far away from modern establishment and can successfully carve out a little piece of modern comforts for myself. This means that I leave the water, electricity, and even the roads behind and then have to make sure that I can reestablish all that for myself and my wife or friends.

My rig is a 1994 M998A1 HMMWV, upgraded to a 200A 28/14V alternator and with a 4L80E transmission for that drastically improved highway performance. My camp equipment is a mixture of mid-grade backpacking equipment, low-end car camping equipment, and pretty stout military surplus gear. As it is, I can generate about 4000W of power off of the running truck (want solar power to reduce fuel consumption...currently just charge batteries while travelling), I have 20 gallons of water and 20 gallons of diesel in appropriate Sceptor military containers, have running warm water thanks to a field sink setup that works quite well for a tolerable shower, radio equipment suitable for everything from <1 mile (VHF/UHF) to about 500 miles (HF NVIS), and a nice diesel-fired space heater that absolutely inappropriate for anything less than a 15 person tent...

As you can tell, my gear doesn't necessarily scale well together, but it's a blast to collect and get things working together where they generally should not. In time, I'd like to pick up an M1101/M1102 trailer and outfit it as a non-permanent light duty camper with a set of gear scaled for 1-3 people. And since my mindset is modularity, it'd be great to have an MGPTS shelter in storage so that if I was ever having a large rally-style campout, I could enjoy unloading camp from the truck and having a good base for 10 or more people.

Welcome! Where is home base?

Hello all. After years of hearing stories from friends of offroad adventures at uwharrie or scenic beach camp adventures, I had enough. This past February (thanks to @rattlecanpaint ) , a Cavalry Blue '18 4runner down at MidState Toyota of Asheboro made it across the radar. Never thinking I'd see one around here, we drove the very next morning first thing and signed the papers. Haven't stopped smiling since. I named my runner BABE. Reason is 1. The color is that of the famous Ox of Paul Bunyan. 2. Once you meet me you'll understand, I'm 6'5 270, bearded (recently trimmed ) and a work horse. I enjoy the pick things up put them down lifestyle. Haha! So it was only fitting when my big ass got into the very noticeable blue 4runner, Babe was the only name for him.
We've had a few trips to the outer banks of NC and many mountain adventures since the first week of purchase. Looking forward to continuing this life of adventure with all of you this weekend and furthering my knowledge of 4x4. I will be taking the class Friday morning for beginner 4x4. Look forward to meeting many of you. If you see me, please say hello and if you see me struggling or doing anything noobie on the trail feel free to give constructive criticism. I'm here to learn.

Thought I would drop in and introduce myself. Relatively new to the “Overland” world looking to learn from and interact with other like minded individuals.

Home is just outside of Charlotte, NC in Union County. See you guys around!

Hello all. After years of hearing stories from friends of offroad adventures at uwharrie or scenic beach camp adventures, I had enough. This past February (thanks to @rattlecanpaint ) , a Cavalry Blue '18 4runner down at MidState Toyota of Asheboro made it across the radar. Never thinking I'd see one around here, we drove the very next morning first thing and signed the papers. Haven't stopped smiling since. I named my runner BABE. Reason is 1. The color is that of the famous Ox of Paul Bunyan. 2. Once you meet me you'll understand, I'm 6'5 270, bearded (recently trimmed ) and a work horse. I enjoy the pick things up put them down lifestyle. Haha! So it was only fitting when my big ass got into the very noticeable blue 4runner, Babe was the only name for him.
We've had a few trips to the outer banks of NC and many mountain adventures since the first week of purchase. Looking forward to continuing this life of adventure with all of you this weekend and furthering my knowledge of 4x4. I will be taking the class Friday morning for beginner 4x4. Look forward to meeting many of you. If you see me, please say hello and if you see me struggling or doing anything noobie on the trail feel free to give constructive criticism. I'm here to learn.

Welcome!

Thought I would drop in and introduce myself. Relatively new to the “Overland” world looking to learn from and interact with other like minded individuals.

@hlpressley - PRO-TIP: the correct answer is an enthusiastic 'yes' followed by the observation, "it's literally in my backyard, only an hour away - I have no excuse to not go!"

You're welcome... :D

Thanks for the welcome Dave.

We were planning a trip to Windrock this weekend but the more I read about the Rendezvous the more I’m leaning that way. Assuming it’s somewhat beginner friendly? Semi-stock rig friendly?
Yes and yes. Many first-timers learned/got their skills started here. Why aren't you packed yet? :D

Hi and welcome in.

Bounce around the forums and ask all the questions you want. However, the best way to learn is to do. Enjoy the adventure!

The other day we came across the American Adventurist and thought the forum looked like a pretty nice place to hang out now and then.

A little about ourselves; we're a husband/ wife team that got into the this whole overland thing just four years ago. Since then we've fully immersed ourselves. With two modified Toyotas, plenty of vacation time each year, and no kids living at home, we're on the move a lot!

Don't let the name fool ya, we don't sell anything (not even swag), run pay-to-play trips, or anything like that. We're just enthusiasts who like to share our experiences with the community.

We're looking forward to getting your advice on trip locations, vehicle mods, and hopefully some encouragement from time to time.

Stay free and wild my friends!

Mark & Merri Morrall

insta_pic.jpg

The other day we came across the American Adventurist and thought the forum looked like a pretty nice place to hang out now and then.

A little about ourselves; we're a husband/ wife team that got into the this whole overland thing just four years ago. Since then we've fully immersed ourselves. With two modified Toyotas, plenty of vacation time each year, and no kids living at home, we're on the move a lot!

Don't let the name fool ya, we don't sell anything (not even swag), run pay-to-play trips, or anything like that. We're just enthusiasts who like to share our experiences with the community.

We're looking forward to getting your advice on trip locations, vehicle mods, and hopefully some encouragement from time to time.

Stay free and wild my friends!

Mark & Merri Morrall

View attachment 42050

Welcome! Where’s home?

Back
Top Bottom