NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS!

Hello all. I'm Josh I mean Lurch (deckhand name back in the day ). My wife , kids and I are new to overland travel camping. We typically go glamping in the so cal desert with our buggy ,dirt bikes and coach. We're located in the Inland Empire of California.
We just picked up a 2013 F-150 4x4. And I started building what you see here. I'm here to learn what to do and most importantly what not to do.

IMG_20190609_102342827.jpg

1559432880571.jpg

Hello all. I'm Josh I mean Lurch (deckhand name back in the day ). My wife , kids and I are new to overland travel camping. We typically go glamping in the so cal desert with our buggy ,dirt bikes and coach. We're located in the Inland Empire of California.
We just picked up a 2013 F-150 4x4. And I started building what you see here. I'm here to learn what to do and most importantly what not to do.

View attachment 45648

View attachment 45649
Welcome to AAV, I am in Chino

We have a couple of things coming up you may be interested in. The SoCal Mountain Rendezvous, which is currently sold out, but the waiting list is pretty short https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/2019-mountain-rendezvous-official-thread.6587/ . you can also check out the upcoming meet and greet in Irvine https://americanadventurist.com/for...zy-dog-restaurant-irvine-ca.6891/#post-127073 . We are working on a meet and greet in the inland empire, hopefully sometime in July

View attachment 45648

View attachment 45649
Welcome from Corona. What @BlkWgn said.

Hey, Denys here.
I am software engineer originally from Ukraine. For the past five years I and my family live and travel around SF's Bay Area using our Forester'14 & tent. Most of the times we stay at designated campsites in State Parks around for a couple of nights.
Recent visit to the Death Valley NP has shown that my stock Subie is a good car but not enough for all the places we wanted to visit, so now I'm doing research on what to do with this fact

Hey, Denys here.
I am software engineer originally from Ukraine. For the past five years I and my family live and travel around SF's Bay Area using our Forester'14 & tent. Most of the times we stay at designated campsites in State Parks around for a couple of nights.
Recent visit to the Death Valley NP has shown that my stock Subie is a good car but not enough for all the places we wanted to visit, so now I'm doing research on what to do with this fact
Welcome, you will find that the people around here drive a bit of everything. Do you have any early options you are looking at for a replacement or wanting to make the forester a bit more capable?

Do you have any early options you are looking at for a replacement or wanting to make the forester a bit more capable?
It's non-turbo, so I'm on the edge of either replacing it with used 4Runner/Tacoma or just lifting it and adding some other off-roady staff.

Hi Denys, Welcome.

May I suggest that first you fugue out what size you want and if it will be a daily driver or not. After that it is easy.

Snapseed 415.jpg

Hi folks. I'm Jake White.
I'm finding this thread now after registering for the Appalachian Rendezvous and will offer up this quick introduction.
My wife and I own CartoTracks, a map company specializing in predominantly offroad maps designed for mobile use (phones and tablets) for Android and iOS. The maps work offline, without signal, but still are GPS-enabled. Our 100th map in our library, Uwharrie National Forest is the result of a wonderful relationship with the late Scott Fields. Scott and I had a conversation many many years ago that was what laid the groundwork for what became the 36 Hours of Uwharrie. Other conversations led to our mapping of the forrest along with Big Creek, the adjacent private property there. Scott inspired us to get more involved with Tread Lightly! Now a Master Tread trainer myself, we're also working on some things with our yet-to-be-released CartoTracks app that'll not only incentivize ethical trail behavior but it'll also benefit Tread Lightly! in some other ways. So, not a sales pitch as much as it is a pitch to please, Tread Lightly! always so we can maintain open access to OUR public and private lands.

We have a few Jeeps in our stable but our primary driver is the pictured 1982 Jeep Scrambler. It's been driven to Utah and back from Alabama twice now and should see another trip there in late September right after this year's Appalachian Rendezvous. Hope to see and meet some of y'all there. I'm also building an overland style trailer (completely from scratch) and should have it done by mid-September. Fingers crossed! Feel free to ask me any questions about CartoTracks, Tread Lightly!, Scramblers, whatever. -Jake

View attachment 46125

Hi folks. I'm Jake White.
I'm finding this thread now after registering for the Appalachian Rendezvous and will offer up this quick introduction.
My wife and I own CartoTracks, a map company specializing in predominantly offroad maps designed for mobile use (phones and tablets) for Android and iOS. The maps work offline, without signal, but still are GPS-enabled. Our 100th map in our library, Uwharrie National Forest is the result of a wonderful relationship with the late Scott Fields. Scott and I had a conversation many many years ago that was what laid the groundwork for what became the 36 Hours of Uwharrie. Other conversations led to our mapping of the forrest along with Big Creek, the adjacent private property there. Scott inspired us to get more involved with Tread Lightly! Now a Master Tread trainer myself, we're also working on some things with our yet-to-be-released CartoTracks app that'll not only incentivize ethical trail behavior but it'll also benefit Tread Lightly! in some other ways. So, not a sales pitch as much as it is a pitch to please, Tread Lightly! always so we can maintain open access to OUR public and private lands.

We have a few Jeeps in our stable but our primary driver is the pictured 1982 Jeep Scrambler. It's been driven to Utah and back from Alabama twice now and should see another trip there in late September right after this year's Appalachian Rendezvous. Hope to see and meet some of y'all there. I'm also building an overland style trailer (completely from scratch) and should have it done by mid-September. Fingers crossed! Feel free to ask me any questions about CartoTracks, Tread Lightly!, Scramblers, whatever. -Jake

Welcome to American Adventurist!

9E9425BC-4E94-47A1-8AE4-EC55DFC31BE4.jpeg

Hey everyone. I'm Adam, from Northern VA, but grew up in small-town-USA near Erie, PA (the only part of PA that touches Lake Erie) most of my life...my family owns around 160 acres of farmland up there. Girlfriend (now fiance) and I moved to the DC area for better/more opportunities for our careers and its been paying off well for last ~5 years we've been here. I hadn't really gone camping since boy scouts and wasn't much into hiking since growing up on a farm you "hike" in the woods all the time haha. However as we settled into this high population area covered with asphalt and a**holes, we started to rely on getting out to the country as an escape to stay sane.

We had done some simple car camping with her Grand Cherokee, but when we bought our first house a few years ago, I decided it was time to get rid of my fast and comfy car (Ford Fusion Sport, great for long commutes, bad for avoiding speeding tickets) and go back to a 4x4 like I grew up on (we needed a bed for all the work we were doing on the house). I've always really preferred driving manual transmissions (and I still do, even in DC area traffic surprisingly), so my options were pretty limited, as nowadays its not easy to find a truck with a stick. That led me to a Tacoma, which I've never owned but always appreciated. Against my own concern, I ended up buying a new 2017, because the best used 2nd gen with a manual transmission I could find was 5 years old and asking price was only about $5k less than a brand new one. When I got the truck I wasn't into offroading or overlanding at all, just some car camping. I've only ever "offroaded" in back roads and fields growing up, don't think I ever used 4Lo in the past to be honest, definitely never in a manual transmission. So I decided I didn't need awesome offroad capabilities and chose the TRD Sport Tacoma rather than TRD Off-Road, so I'd get that cool looking hood scoop! (we make mistakes so we can learn from them...) Only a couple months after getting my truck, I was already talking with some people on OverlandBound and we met up to do some beginner-level offroading. First time I used 4Lo with a stick. I don't remember anything that technical on that first maiden voyage, but I do remember how bad my clutch stunk because the Jeep at the end of our group mentioned he smelled it during the drive haha. I fell in love [again] with 4x4, which, combined with our yearn for quiet country views and secluded primitive campsites, quickly evolved into our current love of "overlanding". Everyone describes that term differently, but my take on it is "traveling to and camping in locations that you can't get to in a minivan, while being fully self-sufficient". To get away and discover all the natural beauty that this world has to show you besides what's in your backyard.

Nowadays I'm constantly working to improve my truck as an overlanding rig; reorganizing this thing and that, researching and buying a new gadget to improve comfort while on the road or setting up the campsite, etc. However my primary initiative ever since that first offroading trip is to get better at driving stick through technical terrain [without burning out my clutch]. I've tried some small helpful tips and tricks from other drivers, I've tried relying on the clutchless start button, and I've tried some other stuff. But I'm still not satisfied with the amount of clutch I have to use to avoid hopping around, jerking, engine dying, etc. I've driven manual transmissions most of my life so far, and at this point I've driven my truck for years on as many overlanding trips as we could fit into our weekends, most requiring 4Lo, including a bunch of pretty narly technical crawls, constantly trying to focus on improving my stick game. So I get pretty frustrated when I ask for tips and tricks online and no one offers anything other than "you just need more pedal time to learn your clutch you'll get it" or "you should just use 4Lo it crawls forward on its own".

I look forward to meeting everyone from beginner to expert, and hearing some real advice from experienced drivers and trainers so I can keep working to get better at this, like everything else.
Guen4.JPG

Guen3.jpg

Guen6.jpg

Hey everyone. I'm Adam, from Northern VA, but grew up in small-town-USA near Erie, PA (the only part of PA that touches Lake Erie) most of my life...my family owns around 160 acres of farmland up there. Girlfriend (now fiance) and I moved to the DC area for better/more opportunities for our careers and its been paying off well for last ~5 years we've been here. I hadn't really gone camping since boy scouts and wasn't much into hiking since growing up on a farm you "hike" in the woods all the time haha. However as we settled into this high population area covered with asphalt and a**holes, we started to rely on getting out to the country as an escape to stay sane.

We had done some simple car camping with her Grand Cherokee, but when we bought our first house a few years ago, I decided it was time to get rid of my fast and comfy car (Ford Fusion Sport, great for long commutes, bad for avoiding speeding tickets) and go back to a 4x4 like I grew up on (we needed a bed for all the work we were doing on the house). I've always really preferred driving manual transmissions (and I still do, even in DC area traffic surprisingly), so my options were pretty limited, as nowadays its not easy to find a truck with a stick. That led me to a Tacoma, which I've never owned but always appreciated. Against my own concern, I ended up buying a new 2017, because the best used 2nd gen with a manual transmission I could find was 5 years old and asking price was only about $5k less than a brand new one. When I got the truck I wasn't into offroading or overlanding at all, just some car camping. I've only ever "offroaded" in back roads and fields growing up, don't think I ever used 4Lo in the past to be honest, definitely never in a manual transmission. So I decided I didn't need awesome offroad capabilities and chose the TRD Sport Tacoma rather than TRD Off-Road, so I'd get that cool looking hood scoop! (we make mistakes so we can learn from them...) Only a couple months after getting my truck, I was already talking with some people on OverlandBound and we met up to do some beginner-level offroading. First time I used 4Lo with a stick. I don't remember anything that technical on that first maiden voyage, but I do remember how bad my clutch stunk because the Jeep at the end of our group mentioned he smelled it during the drive haha. I fell in love [again] with 4x4, which, combined with our yearn for quiet country views and secluded primitive campsites, quickly evolved into our current love of "overlanding". Everyone describes that term differently, but my take on it is "traveling to and camping in locations that you can't get to in a minivan, while being fully self-sufficient". To get away and discover all the natural beauty that this world has to show you besides what's in your backyard.

Nowadays I'm constantly working to improve my truck as an overlanding rig; reorganizing this thing and that, researching and buying a new gadget to improve comfort while on the road or setting up the campsite, etc. However my primary initiative ever since that first offroading trip is to get better at driving stick through technical terrain [without burning out my clutch]. I've tried some small helpful tips and tricks from other drivers, I've tried relying on the clutchless start button, and I've tried some other stuff. But I'm still not satisfied with the amount of clutch I have to use to avoid hopping around, jerking, engine dying, etc. I've driven manual transmissions most of my life so far, and at this point I've driven my truck for years on as many overlanding trips as we could fit into our weekends, most requiring 4Lo, including a bunch of pretty narly technical crawls, constantly trying to focus on improving my stick game. So I get pretty frustrated when I ask for tips and tricks online and no one offers anything other than "you just need more pedal time to learn your clutch you'll get it" or "you should just use 4Lo it crawls forward on its own".

I look forward to meeting everyone from beginner to expert, and hearing some real advice from experienced drivers and trainers so I can keep working to get better at this, like everything else.
View attachment 46129
View attachment 46130

View attachment 46131

Welcome to American Adventurist!

:home

Hello, my name is Nate and I’m from Pennsylvania I own a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and I enjoy getting out on the trails, hitting the rocks and camping out on the trails. I’m looking forward to meeting peeps and hopefully getting out on the trails with some of you.

Back
Top Bottom