New Guy

Juan

Adventurist
Hey all, I'm new here. Have been on site off and on finally divided to join I I'm looking to purchase a full size truck to do some back roading and adventuring with my wife and boys any idea on wutt to look for? Currently own 83 ramcharger 4x4 rebuilt looking to sell ready want the truck instead. Thanks for any pointers.

Love my tundra. But really depends on your needs as far as towing and hauling. Tundra has a ton of interior room and the full beer window in the back is awesome (crewmax only). Let us know what you decide on.

I absolutely love my Power Wagon, and I think it is a great platform for overland. If I could afford to do it again though, I would not get the wagon, I would suggest a pre 2007.5 Dodge 2500 diesel. Put Carli or Thuren Suspension on it with Air lockers with a Mercenary Offroad Winch Bumper and never look back

Thanks for the quick response! I was actually thinking of both those trucks myself. I definitely need the cab room as I have 3 boys to sit in the back. I also wonder on reliability and off-road capabilities. Always get the negatives on this truck and that truck from friends and family but none of them do the back road adventuring thing. They just want there trucks to sit there and look pretty and shiny! On the Tundra what years we talking about? And on the dodge what do you think of the 1500 vs 2500?

The 2500 vs 1500 is a matter of strength for me. Just about everything is heavier duty. The 2500 is rated to carry more payload, and will tow more, which for me is not a big deal, my camp trailer is less then 1500LBS and the boat is less than 4500LBS but because the truck is rated for more it has a beefier frame, bigger axles, stronger steering, bigger brakes, and in the case of Dodge it gets you a straight front axle instead of IFS (this is a huge debate over what is better, but it is my preference)

as for reliability, this is my second Dodge, I had a 2004 that I bought new and sold with 185k miles. Never did a tune up, never had a break down or an issue, just changed oil and air cleaners it ran like a champ. I bought the Power Wagon with 72k miles on it, and have just over 150k now and the only issue has been the electronic sway bar got stuck, but seems to have worked its way back free. I am definetly a Dodge guy, but I think with any of the full size trucks on the market now days you get a pretty solid platform.

Thanks BlkWgn I do think I will go for the dodge ram. I've had my Ramcharger for 12 years and also never had issues besides reg. maintenance I guess it should of been a no brainer! Now the hunt starts. Will look pre 2007 like you mentioned.

I say pre 2007.5 for 2 reasons, the main being the motor. If you are going gas it does not matter, but with the diesel, halfway through 2007 is when they changed from the 5.9 to the 6.7 motor. If you are getting gas, I would recommend anything in the 3rd gen. To me the 4th gen look great, but they hang lower in the front which really hurts your approach angle, and it takes more work to clear a larger tire. I am not sure where you are located, but there are some great resources for dodge aftermarket and support. If you have any questions or need to find an item, let me know and I will help point you in the right direction.

The tundra, if you need the room your looking at a crewmax 2007 or newer. The backseat actually reclines there is so much room. I have had mine on several back country roads and always been happy with the performance.

So let's see the ramcharger....

Hey guys sorry for the delay have been busy I will need to figure out how to pot pictures of the Ramcharger. As of the space in the Tundra it is roomy have a buddy that has one. And the Dodge and Tundra are the 2 meanest looking trucks. I have started looking around for a truck I want to make sure I go with the right one I'm in Arizona and alot of the ones I've seen have sun fading paint so slow and easy will get me the right one.

I absolutely love my Power Wagon, and I think it is a great platform for overland. If I could afford to do it again though, I would not get the wagon, I would suggest a pre 2007.5 Dodge 2500 diesel. Put Carli or Thuren Suspension on it with Air lockers with a Mercenary Offroad Winch Bumper and never look back

OH! don't let the winchmob hear you say that....LOL I love my 2006 CDT

You can see it by clicking on the link I my sig....

Back
Top Bottom