New guy, and my F350

Super04duty

Adventurist
Some of you may have seen me posts over on ExPo as well as Powerstroke.org, but I wanted to post up my build here too. So, for those of you whom have seen it already, I apologize. For everyone else, enjoy. Comments always welcome, good or bad. Thanks
Well, I figured I would write up my introduction post. I used to live in Central CA, but the Fiancé got a new job in LA, so we are new transplants and currently living in Pasadena. Work on the truck is very slow anymore, because I left my garage and driveway behind and now live in an apartment, and the only tools and supplies I have, are what I keep in the truck. Its been a very difficult transition, Im not used to having to drive 5hrs north just to change my oil. (I can't bring myself to pay for a shop to work on my rigs, I have always done my own work, and I like it that way.)

Anyway, enough about me, onto my junk.
Its a 2004 F350 CCLB. I bought it in late 2005 with just under 100k on it. It is a 6.0l, and I had all of the POs service records, which showed no repairs done to common 6.0l problems. Lucky me. Ive now run into all of those issues. So Ive spent a LOT of money on the engine in this truck. Its got a new turbo, new CAC pipe couplers, bulletproof oil and EGR cooler, ARP head studs with black onyx head gaskets, new front hubs, DBA slotted rotors, EBC ceramic brake pads, ported and polished heads, with full radius valve job, new HPOP, new EGR valve, re-routed CCV (no more oil in my intercooler/turbo), fuel spring BB mod. opened header panel with stock intake/filter. 4" MBRP exhaust, turbo back system with cat delete and their "muffler". Its also got a 4" lift on it, which I bought the truck with. No idea on what brand it is, but its all springs, no blocks, other than the factory F350 rear blocks. basic Pro-comp shocks, and a small stereo. Its got a front Dana 60, and a rear Sterling, with 3.73 gears and a limited slip in the rear. Ive also got Air-lift rear air bags, and a firestone air compressor with in-cab, individual bag control switches (they aren't connected to each other, but I can adjust pressure in them individually via in cab switches. I recently got a craigslist Rebel, by SungTop camper shell for it, for $300, which has gotten the fiancé and I bitten bad by the off-road/camping bug. We just took our first trip a few weeks ago, to the Hungry Valley SVRA, which had no trails I could find that were friendly to a truck of my size, and being limited on money, and living in an apartment, we won't be having any dirt bikes or quads any time soon. But it was a good first camping trip for us, as we had never been camping together before... Now, onto some pictures.

First, this is basically how my truck looked when I bough it. Though this is after the addition of a tool box, and smoked lights, black billet grill paint, etc. It also had some 16x12 MT wheels and some Dunlop MT tires (which I also bought the truck with. I know the tires are too narrow for the wheels, but thats what was on them when I got it, and all that would fit without major trimming of the fender liners/fenders.

The truck is mostly the same as before, except I now have a set of OEM wheels, with 285/75/16 BFG Rugged Terrain T/A tires, and a camper shell that I picked up off Craigslist for $300. (already painted white, and while it was a lil dirty, its in basically brand new condition.)

New, in bed tool box, since my bed rail mounted one simply wouldn't work anymore with the shell.

Some electrical upgrades, two switches don't do anything, (but I wanted to use all 4 color indicator lights, and hack holes in my interior only once). One operates my Firestone air compressor, and one operates a relayed, high current 12v socket I mounted behind the rear seat. This plug powers my little amber light bar on top of the truck, or 12v "extension cord" that will run into the camper through the sliding windows in both the truck rear window and the camper shells front window. The black, round button is a momentary button, and operates a set of air horns mounted under the truck. The red air lines are for the rear air bag controls and pressure gauge, next to that is my trailer brake controller. And just barely visible, is a little silver switch attached to a screw by the ALDL connector, that turns on my high idle.

Heres the truck parked at our apartment, next to my DD neon, for size comparison.

And, here are a few shots from our last camping trip.

Here is our camping set up. A "full" size air mattress fits perfectly between the tool box at the front of the bed, and the tail gate. I can however see a DAC truck tent in our future, so we can leave the tailgate and rear hatch open at camp, to use to the tail gate for boot/shoe storage without tracking as much dirt into our sleeping bag area. As well as a bed rug, and insulated blackout curtains for the windows.

I think that pretty much sums up my truck to date. My next addition will be an Edge Insight CTS, as I don't currently have any gauges, and I want to have some way to monitor things. I also suspect my FICM is starting to go bad, so I need to have a way to monitor that as well. After that, I would like to do bumpers/winch/lighting, both off-road and new LED amber "emergency" lights, as well as communication, and a real stereo instead of my single DIN and 10" sub sitting on the floor between the rows of seats. But, between moving from the "cheap" central valley of CA, and paying for my wedding in Sept. as well as trying to go back to college this fall, truck funds are VERY slow to accrue.

Thanks for looking....

- - - Updated - - -

Not much of an update, but this is all I have really done with my truck.

First up is a Ram-Mount laptop stand. Its brand new, never been installed before. I picked it up locally for $80 (the up side to living in SoCal, stuff like this never came up for sale in the Central Valley). Its really nice and sturdy, doesnt rattle around. It'll hold a computer good for me in the drivers seat. It will also position it just right for a passenger to use. The downside however, is that even in the lowest setting, the dash mounted cup holder will no longer pull out far enough to be useable. Id also be concerned with it being used while driving with a passenger, for fear of the air-bag interference. This is temporary however, as I don't plan to really use a laptop with it. I plan on getting an iPad mount for it, so I can use that for GPS, as well as music (iPad with cellular). I feel this is much better than a fancy double DIN stereo with GPS, as the iPad will provide a larger screen, and is useful outside the truck for tasks other than GPS. I just plan on also getting an apple bluetooth keyboard to keep in the truck along with it. to make typing on the go more ergonomic.

I also plasit-dipped my billet grill insert. It isn't much, but I thought I would try out this plasti-dip stuff on something small and easy to do, before I pull off my wheels and paint my OEM wheels with it.

And lastly, the smallest update. I got these plastic, folding produce crates from some people when we moved out of Downtown LA. I forgot I had them until recently. Its a perfect fit for my 5gal. diesel fuel can, a set of reflective safety triangles, about 10 15min road flares, some tie downs, jumper cables, and air hose and fittings (for my on-board air compressor). It isn't much, but its a lot nicer than the milk crates I was using. Since I got the camper shell, I like to have these items living by the tailgate, so they are always quick/easy to get to, and I don't have to crawl around in the back to get to them.

Edit, a couple more as of this morning. Got my new stickers installed. Reppin my new buddy and boss man, Raul B.

And Mitch, this one is for you. I know you told me this was the old, classic sticker when you gave it to me. So I decided to put it on the inside camper window. This way I can show it off, but it'll be protected from UV, and should last forever. Thanks again, and I do look forward to meeting up with you again.

Last edited:
Welcome to AAV. Nice setup and definitely makes for a stealth camp rig. Bummer about loosing the garage/driveway space. I couldn't live any place I couldn't work on my rigs.

Keep up the good work and as always, post up pics whenever. We all love pics!

Thanks for the welcome guys. I hope to be able to keep posting regularly, but the time/money thing, along with not having a garage. Ive managed to get a good selection of tools and supplies in the truck with the camper shell (thus the diamond plate tool box AND tool bag, plastic tool box, and a wrench/socket case/set... But Definitly miss having a welder, full size compressor/air tools and jacks (well, i have like 5 different jacks in the truck, but none to really work on it, more for various emergency/roadside stuff). The manager at our apartments was kind enough to allow be to put no parking signed up and reserve that spot I park in. Since I simply won't fit just anywhere (and thats the over flow lot. first come first serve. We only have one assigned spot, and 3 vehicles, and thats because I left 2 more trucks and a pop-up camp trailer up in storage)... and I can do some work here. Minor bolt on type stuff. But definitely nothing with fluids or major R&R. I either try to schedule things with our normal 5hour drives up north to see our family, or wait for one of Raul's build days at his place now.

Hopefully after our wedding in Sept, a little more time and money can go toward the truck. But for now, its all being spent on fancy dresses, food, and cake. Though, she has started thinking I need to start building more of a slush fund with a monthly allowance. lol.

Hey guys, its been a while. I haven't been able to do much with my truck, aside from drive it a bit. I did pickup a couple new stickers for the back window. And the Ram Mount iPad mount came in to replace the laptop mount. I also picked up its mini-me truck. Some of you make be familiar with it too. I tell myself that I won't mess with it, but i probably will. If i can't help myself, Ill make a new thread for it too. lol

I did manage to get it stuck in the sand at Pismo over the 4th of july. Aired down to 20, and 4wl.. just let go of too much momentum and tried turning too sharp. Ugh.

Hopefully Ill have some more significant updates before the end of the year. But Im not sure.. the wedding sure is taking a lot of money.. lol

What's the beacon on top for? In California, I'm pretty sure you are supposed to have a permit to run one.

Nope. Amber and red are colors civvies can flash. What you can't do is alternate. The right and left strobes must be sync'd to flash at the same time. Obvious exemption for middle mounted lights like that little bar, which can alternate and rotate.

No permit needed. (small bars like that are common and easy, where you might run into issues is full size bars, especially LED ones that are all clear/white when off). Ive used it for a variety of things. Mostly its up there for when Im using the truck for work, or when the occasionally road side issue pops up. I have also done pilot car work in my previous life in Ag (tho I was usually the one driving the over sized loads, someone else would be driving my pickup)... the light is magnetic, I use to take it off whenever I didn't need it, but with the camper shell, its much more difficult to take on and off, so i just leave it up all the time now.

The F150 now has an LED traffic advisor light bar mounted in the rear window. I need a dual head amber/amber or amber/white dash light for the windshield tho (cough, Mitch, any laying around? cough). Combined with my road cones, Ive had LA parking enforcement tell me that Im "doing it right" more than once when Im parked in odd areas, or areas that would be considered improper and citable if not for my lights and cones for work)

And no real updates. I did just spend about $1300 on the F150, to fix a timing issue with it. And of course I installed the rear traffic advisor in it, but otherwise, nether truck has gotten much of anything else except miles. Fixing the 150 has been my top priority since its my work truck, and i need it reliable an strong for driving all over LA.

I did score a free piece of brand new household carpet, that I cut to fit in the back of the F350 though. Its not as nice as a real BedRug, but it was free. It makes it a lot nicer for hauling/loading things, and makes it all around cleaner and nicer. The wife is convinced that I do need a BedRug, but I have to wait until I wear out this carpet..

And speaking of wife, I got married at the end of Sept. (the 27th to be exact, so here is a picture of my single biggest modification in life.....

Last edited:
So, its been a while. Still recovering after the wedding, so things aren't happening at too fast of a pace lately. But I have done a few things recently. I took my F350 up north to visit family over the holidays. While I was there, made a few additions to the truck.

First, is I finally mounted my Hi-Lift jack. It no longer just lays in the bed of the truck, and needs to be removed to set up the bed for sleeping. Also in this picture is one of my black out curtains. My mother made them for me, along with a zippered one for the back window. They are made out of medium weight black denim material, and simply velcro into place on the headliner carpet of the shell. I don't plan on removing the side ones often. And the rear one, has straps sewn on to facilitate tying them up and out of the way. When the rear one is tied up, you can't even tell its there.

Besides the lack of privacy, the other issue the wife had with sleeping in the back of the truck, was warmth. Especially since we sleep on an air mattress right now, which is basically the worst thing to sleep on when the night temps drop pretty low. Add to this the fact that Ive gotten really tired of buying those expensive 1lbs bottles of propane, I picked this stuff up. The propane tree is a two piece unit, for easy storage. And it has two ports on it, in addition to the top one. So we can use the top one for our lantern, and the two side ports for my new heater and our propane BBQ (Stove is a dual fuel Coleman, running on white gas). The heater is an indoor safe one, with low O2 shut off and tip over protection. Tho even on the lowest setting, I don't plan on sleeping with it on. It puts out a LOT of heat. But I figure it will be nice to pre-warm the truck before bed, and in the mornings before we get out of the warm sleeping bags.

I also added some warm white LED rope lights in the shell. These are temporary, until I get my power system figured out and get some 12v lights, as these are 110v and require my power inverter to run. To mount them, I just used some screw eyes through the honeycomb portion of the roof and zip tied them on. They work nice for what they are.

Last, but not least... No sooner had we gotten back to SoCal from visiting up north, I randomly got on CL, and found this rack for sale for $300. Not only did I buy it, but the man I bought it from had his sons come over, and help remove my camper shell, install the rack, bolt it down, and reinstall my camper shell with plenty of weather stripping. Ive got to shorten the cab over portion a couple of inches, to clear my cab lights as they hit them a bit when the truck flexes, but thats an easy job. Just need to get it someplace where I have access to a welder. For the price, and the help in installing it, I couldn't say no. I plan on mounting solar panels over the cab, and using the rack to mount various lights, antennas, maybe an ABS pipe "hot water heater", and an awning to. (for now, a tarp and painters poles, but maybe an ARB or Ironman awning, once funds become available.

Thats it for now. There will be a few small updates Im sure in the not too distant future. Im starting a new job which should pay better and more regularly, but I told my wife that Ive wanted a Buckstop front bumper/winch/lights for the entire 10 years I have owned this truck now, and that is what my main goal is for 2015, as $5k is no small chance of change and will take a while to save up. Rear bumper I will be making myself, since no one makes one I like with the features I need. I just need my re-centered military Hummer wheels and 37s first, as I plan on building the rear bumper to house a permanent winch, as well as a swing out, for the spare tire, fuel cans, etc. I have a bad elbow, Im not in a hurry to use the rack to store my spare. They are heavy. lol

Hope you all enjoy, and as always, comments are always welcome.

*Edit, yes, I reinstalled my 16x12" MT wheels and mud tires. While my BFGs on OEM wheels are better for highway driving and mileage, I just had to see what my truck looked like with the camper shell and wider wheels/tires. These aren't in the best of shape, they're about 50% tread, but Ill finish wearing them out, and maybe these wheels will be for sale, to help me get my H1 wheels and military 37"s

I like your curtains. I think I'll steal the idea for my pickup.

How much does that roof rack weigh?

I like your curtains. I think I'll steal the idea for my pickup.

How much does that roof rack weigh?

They worked out pretty well. Just make sure you buy velcro that does NOT have the sticky back, and use at least a #18 needle in the sewing machine for to attach it to whatever material you use. (My mom made them, but i designed them, and yes, I'm a 33 year old male who knows how to use a sewing machine too. I just think my mom likes helping me with a truck project. She made these, she's also doing the stain/sealing for the wood of the bed in my '57)

As for weight, Im really not sure. It is lighter than the camper shell though. Its a base model SnungTop Rebel, tho i don't recall its weight off the top of my head right now. Ill try to find some info. Im 99% sure its a Rack-it brand rack.

Couple more pics of my rack...

I want to mount solar panels on the expanded steel portion of the rack over the cab. I would like some feedback from anyone who has done permanent solar installs, or has an idea of how to wire up a charge controller to the stock dual batteries?

Im also going to have to cut the rack back a few inches. May need to employ Raul B's welder and assistance with this one. I think the rack is too far forward. Its already close to the cab and i worry in general about it hitting, but I can definitely see these lights getting broken off when the truck flexes off-road.

Well, we knocked out another trip. First one since I got the additions made recently. Worked out pretty nice. Didn't get to use everything the way I would have liked, but we were too busy hiking and exploring the desert. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in mods, and figuring out what I want to do/build next, that I forget we need to just get out and use the truck for its intended use. Sure, its not the biggest, best, or most heavily modded, but its still perfectly serviceable for what we are trying to do. Plus, Ive got to start out easy, to work bugs out, and get everything squared away, and also ease the wife into camping. She's 100% better than the first trip, but still, roughing it isn't something she's real excited about. Have to work some luxury in too.

This is really cool. I'm glad to see another F350 out there. Buckstop is a great bumper and so far has been a bit of a game changer for us. I went with the Boss with the 4 Rigid Industries 4" LEDs. We've pulled into some spots in the middle of nowhere before on tight dirt roads and its a new experience all together.

You have a really nice set up. I'd love to trade ideas with you. (I have the Military 37"s on my trailer)
Where are we going buddy small.jpg

truck over lake small.jpg

Nate

Its been a little while since I posted, but Ive gotten a few things done to my truck. Those that follow me on Instagram will have already seen most of these pics, but for those of you who don't, here they are.

First up, I finally added some real backup lights to the truck. With the addition of the camper shell, and the blackout curtains on the side windows of it, it became difficult to backup at night. These lights made it much easier. They are not however, wired to the backup light circuit. I wired them up to an independent switch on the dash. I also like to have them on when I drive off road at night. (along with the side lights, pics of those to follow.)

I also added some side lights to the truck. I mounted them on my rack, toward the back of the cab. I have them pointing to the side and slightly forward, so they point just about 90* from the front door windows. They work great at lighting up the sides, like alley lights. I also have these switched independently of each other, so i can use one or the other, which is handy.

I also added some more lights inside the camper shell. I had the rear RV style light by the tail gate, but I added the "tap" lights up by the tool box. The wires run from the RV style light, and are held in place with black velcro against the carpeted camper shell. The power feed for these lights is constant hot, and each light has the ability to be operated independently, but I also put a switch in the main power feed coming into the bed, so I leave all the lights in the "on" position, and use the switch by the rear hatch to operate them, so I can turn them on without climbing into the bed of the truck. This is very handy for getting in and out of the back at night and being able to see what you're doing, before climbing in.

A while back I mounted a bed liner coated piece of plywood to my rack, for carrying various loads. I also mounted a flagpole mount to it. I don't figure flags would hold up to driving at speed, but I figured this would be nice for camp, especially for camping in congested areas (think, pismo), to help find our camp from a distance.

Terrible picture of my new CB antenna. Its a Wilson 3000, though Im no longer using this mount, Im using a normal clamp mount (seen in the picture of my side lights). Also gone are my way too low mounted fiberglass antenna. I ground the paint off the rack for the mount, and ground the rack to a factory truck ground point with 4ga cable on the frame. Since doing this I've gotten much better range and much lower SWRs than before.

Also a bad picture, finally got a double DIN stereo for the truck. Of course, my truck is an '04, so it took a little trimming to make it fit, but you can't see any of that once its installed. Parking brake ground is just grounded to the chassis, so it'll play movies regardless. Legalities be damned. Tho I have yet to play a movie in it. I do still need to get a backup camera too. (my #1 reason for wanting a double DIN). I did not get a stereo with navigation however, as I use my iPad or iPhone, and my Ram Mounts for them, for navigation, which is much better than any stereo based system, especially when off road.

Here is a picture of my iPad/Ram Mount navigation set up. Its a 128GB cellular iPad (so it has a built in GPS antenna). Though I rarely use cellular data with it. I use MotionX and have downloaded pretty detailed maps of the areas I travel. Also seen is how I mounted my CB and airbag controls. This is obviously an older pic, since it shows my old stereo.

Also, my camper shell had a 3rd brake light in it, with 3 light bulbs behind a red lens. Problem was, one of the bulbs burned out and I noticed that the brake light unit was not "serviceable." It was riveted into the camper shell and sealed together. So, I got creative. I drilled out the rivets, and cut the brake light housing apart to get the red lens out. I happened to have some carbon fiber panels laying around (I have quite a bit of carbon fiber panels from a now defunct aerospace facility in Glendale, one of the perks of my last job), so I used the lens as a pattern, ,and cut the carbon fiber to size. I then drilled a few holes into it, to mount 3 LED truck clearance lights, like I used for the clearance lights I installed on my rack. I siliconed them all in to make sure they were waterproof, made a gasket, and used screws, in lieu of rivets, to reinstall the assembly into the camper shell, and wired it up to the existing brake light wiring. (which is connected to my factory 3rd brake light feed by the trailer light connectors, so it does not flash with one of the turn signals. I hate when people just splice into the major wire on a tail light of a vehicle that doesn't have separate turn signals, like my Ford.. anyway, Here are a few pics of this project....

And lastly, here are a couple pictures of the truck, while we were out on a random drive to Nevada. We went from the LA area, up to Beatty, NV and such. Saw the wild horses, wild burros, caves, and other historic and natural things. Sorry, don't have pics of everything uploaded, and really don't want to say where the wild animals and caves and such are on a public forum anyway.

Saw this Toy' at our lunch stop. Didn't get to talk to the guy for long, but his truck was really nice. Basically a mini version of what I hope to turn my truck into.

Also, I did get some new BFG KO2s for the F150.. and have yet to take them into the dirt. Hell, Ive had this truck for over a year now, and have yet to take it off road at all. Its sad really.

And, Just one last picture, just because. This was from a while back, when I brought my old work truck home. Obviously, I live in an apartment complex. This was summer time, and had to have been around 5am or something. I also got home with it around 10 or 11pm. Im sure no one liked me that day. lol I don't even commute in my diesel F350 (notice the 150 is gone, as it was at work, since I brought the Peterbilt home)

Back
Top Bottom