New 2019 Ford Ranger

2019 Ranger at Expo East

D85520F1-9CA5-4F77-B514-CA81804E36B5.jpeg

3C02E62D-4A4A-423A-878C-5D929EF63A2E.jpeg

Now, who is the big dummy at Ford that sends these to be driven at Expo in FX4 Lariat trim with STREET tires???

:soapbox

AND... then sends “booth chicks” that know NOTHING about this market segment and very little about trucks.

I walked away very underwhelmed. After all the hype from Ford leading up to this, I have to say Toyota and Chevy are still better picks.

YMMV.

I drove the new Ranger Friday afternoon at the Seattle auto show the individual that drove with me couldn't answer my questions either. The drive circuit was completely on public streets in downtown Seattle (picture mass traffic). It was almost a complete waste of time.

They had some ramps to simulate a cross axle but wouldn't allow civilians to drive them. Had to be one of the hired drivers but because my truck wasn't the STX (off road package) we couldn't drive them anyway.

In the convention center Ford only had one 4X2 Ranger on display. One would expect a couple models and at least a 4X4.

Poorly presented for a vehicle they intend to go up against the segment leader Toyota and Chevy.

I drove the new Ranger Friday afternoon at the Seattle auto show the individual that drove with me couldn't answer my questions either. The drive circuit was completely on public streets in downtown Seattle (picture mass traffic). It was almost a complete waste of time.

They had some ramps to simulate a cross axle but wouldn't allow civilians to drive them. Had to be one of the hired drivers but because my truck wasn't the STX (off road package) we couldn't drive them anyway.

In the convention center Ford only had one 4X2 Ranger on display. One would expect a couple models and at least a 4X4.

Poorly presented for a vehicle they intend to go up against the segment leader Toyota and Chevy.
See post #101 for the meticulously planned market assault. :D

2019 Ranger at Expo East

View attachment 42207

View attachment 42208

Now, who is the big dummy at Ford that sends these to be driven at Expo in FX4 Lariat trim with STREET tires???

AND... then sends “booth chicks” that know NOTHING about this market segment and very little about trucks.

I walked away very underwhelmed. After all the hype from Ford leading up to this, I have to say Toyota and Chevy are still better picks.

YMMV.

It wasn't only "boothchicks" that were morons. The guy who road with me could not answer one of the questions I asked him and was more interested in bragging about how many Marriott miles he was racking up...

I did get a chance to scroll through the computer and it was showing 22.8 and 23 MPG so I would expect highway mileage to be in the 25-30 range.

It wasn't only "boothchicks" that were morons. The guy who road with me could not answer one of the questions I asked him and was more interested in bragging about how many Marriott miles he was racking up...

I did get a chance to scroll through the computer and it was showing 22.8 and 23 MPG so I would expect highway mileage to be in the 25-30 range.

So it will get 12 loaded overland style ;)

What was you driving impression?

2019 Ranger at Expo East

View attachment 42207

View attachment 42208

YMMV.
Rumor is that Ford will forego a King Ranch edition and do a Reeb Ranch package. In addition to the upgraded interior with bicycle handlebar shifter and 6 pack can cooler, it will have color matched mud flaps and extra front recovery points.

Rumor is that Ford will forego a King Ranch edition and do a Reeb Ranch package. In addition to the upgraded interior with bicycle handlebar shifter and 6 pack can cooler, it will have color matched mud flaps and extra front recovery points.
You left off low-profile street tires. :D

Ford made a mistake making the bed too small. It will hurt the ranger I think. Otherwise we shall see on the mechanical side because only time on the trail will show that.

Ford made a mistake making the bed too small. It will hurt the ranger I think. Otherwise we shall see on the mechanical side because only time on the trail will show that.

While I don't disagree about the too small bed, remember the Sport Trac - small bed, and many trucks sold...

While I don't disagree about the too small bed, remember the Sport Trac - small bed, and many trucks sold...

Don't forget independent rear suspension. o_O I can't seem to remember the last time I saw one on the road.

I just think you’ll see a lack of them in the over landing crowd because of the bed size being 2 1/4 inches shorter an inch and a half narrower than the Tacoma a lot of products that are universal sizes like campers won’t fit.

Don't forget independent rear suspension. o_O I can't seem to remember the last time I saw one on the road.

Forgot about that. I was referring to the originals, with the 8.8 live axle.

Didn't the bed get a little bigger when they switched to the new body and IRS?

Based on the initial reports, I think this thing will be lucky to get the EPA advertised 22-23mpg highway even in stock form. These ecoboost engines tended to be overrated in terms of efficiency.

I've looked at a few Rangers in person now...not impressed. Good to know there are still alternatives out there:

https://www.jackyjones.com/used-Cleveland-2006-Ford-Ranger-FX4+Off+Rd-1FTZR45E36PA00020
We checked one out last weekend just out of curiosity. The bed has nice deep sides which I like, the seats were comfortable but the interior was pretty crappy and felt like a temporary fixture. We weren’t too impressed. Our Tacoma might be antiquated but even with 60,000 miles on it felt like a more substantial vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom