New 2019 Ford Ranger

I think we are on the same page Padre.

I agree that the calculation of the ratings doesn't look consistent. I am under no illusions that the 5,000lb tow rating on my CJ5 is a good idea. It does look cool though:

Jeep_Pull_Ad.jpg

I take your point about speeds as well. There is obviously a lot more being asked of a truckto control weight at 75mph typical on US highways than on 50-60 mph typical in some of the markets these trucks are popular in. I think we also demand more comfort, more power, and just like bigger trucks for the same jobs. I know I do.

But I think there is also a bias towards more weight capacity in a lot of overseas markets. Particularly less developed ones. There is also a cultural aspect in that pickups don't have the recreational or daily driver connotation that they do in the US. Many places view a truck as purely a hauler. And they don't usually offer 25 different configurations like we can get from the big three. So the default package is max payload, and performance suspension packages like power wagons and ZR2's are not as common. Australia being a notable exception. They are just obsessed with off roading. . . and beer . . . and meat pies . . . real pies made with meat and cheese! . . . hmmmmmm.

There's also a hole in the market. Full size US pickups aren't nearly as common in other countries. They are available, but most trucks are work vehicles and the next step up from something the size of a hilux is usually to a cab-over that would be a class 4 or 5 in the US. There isn't much in the middle. Thus the little trucks get asked, and expected, to cover a broader weight range.

Throughout Africa and the Middle East, the practical load capacity is the point at which the tires pop. Whatever fits, goes. They routinely haul loads in these little trucks that would make the designers cry. And they do it on tires that have more hope than tread. Yesterday on the expressway in Cairo I saw a Hilux tooling along at about 50 mph with concrete blocks and rebar stacked 4 feet higher than the cab, three guys inside, four guys relaxing on top of the blocks, and a dog. (not a rope in sight, everything was held on with PFM) It looked pretty outrageous to me, but we saw a dozen trucks even more overloaded than that before we had gone five miles. The only thing unusual about it was that they gave the dog a ride. I'm sure an F150 or even a Power Wagon could have done the same work, but the lawyers would never let Detroit rate it or warranty it for that. Suspension doesn't matter any more when you're on the bumpstops anyway.

Please don't take me seriously. I'm just whining because I want the most capacity in the smallest package. It's the same reason I have never owned a half-ton truck. I never understood why I anyone would buy one when the same manufacturer usually makes a 3/4 or 1-ton in the same footprint. Back in the good old days they even had the same body panels.

Please don't take me seriously. I'm just whining because I want the most capacity in the smallest package. It's the same reason I have never owned a half-ton truck. I never understood why I anyone would buy one when the same manufacturer usually makes a 3/4 or 1-ton in the same footprint. Back in the good old days they even had the same body panels.

We are on the same page. I've driven some pickup's overseas and seen plenty being driven; there is a different mentality on what constitutes "safe handling" in overseas markets.

Also, I do agree with you on 1/2 ton's in North America. For the longest time, those vehicles offered only a mild payload advantage over the midsized trucks and yet took up nearly as much space as a 3/4 ton truck. I think a big reason for that is the typical 1/2 ton owner prefers a smoother ride over outright payload/towing capacity. I do see that trend starting to change, as there are 1/2 ton options which now offer the payload and towing numbers that are comparable to those which were offered by 3/4 ton's from 10 years ago. I suppose time will tell if this new breed of 1/2 ton's will hold up to longterm abuse.

And, as I noted before, midsized pickup's are starting to up their payload and tow ratings (the Colorado is a prime example of that). Unfortunately, the Tacoma is still hindered when it comes to payload. My ultimate dream is to have a diesel Hilux. The closest thing you can get to a Hilux in the NA market is the diesel Colorado.

For those attending Expo East 2018, Ford will have the new Ranger there. And you'll be able to drive it on the off road course :D

I may be dating myself but when I was in grad school my prof had a 1 ton Toyota (Hilux?) pick up.
We used to carry 30 dive tanks and all our gear in that thing and it had the venerable R22 motor.
The only reason that thing died was that it rusted apart.

I may be dating myself but when I was in grad school my prof had a 1 ton Toyota (Hilux?) pick up.
We used to carry 30 dive tanks and all our gear in that thing and it had the venerable R22 motor.
The only reason that thing died was that it rusted apart.

My first Toyota was a 1979 3/4 ton long bed pickup, 20R with a 4 speed. Rust was its only issue.

All good news for the end users! This new found competition in mid size trucks should force all participants to up there game!

All good news for the end users! This new found competition in mid size trucks should force all participants to up there game!

I sure hope so! Ford has been going pretty nuts with the "specialty" vehicles, which I think is pretty slick. I hope some other MFG's step up. Chevy did somewhat with the Colorado, diesel and a "offroad" package.

Back
Top Bottom