Need some trip ideas

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
New baby is on the way and the wife and I want to take 2 maybe 3 weeks to take one last solo trip (our 12 year old has zero desire to go).

We are based in Lakewood, therefore So Cal will be our starting point.

We do not want to head up the coast and we have already been to Zion (actually got married there), Bryce, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, Tetons, all the parks in California, Capitol Reef, Arches, Mesa Verde, a few I have missed I'm sure.

We are thinking of travel at the end of May so weather will be nice. We need some new destination that we can drive to. We need some ideas ladies and gents!!!! Any and all ideas would be helpful.

Olympic Peninsula. Olympic National Park. North Cascades National Park. Glacier National Park.

:thumbsup

Woody great idea but we rode that all the way up to Lake Tahoe about 2 years ago. Amazing on a motorcycle!!!!!!!!

Dave, lol......that's one of the trips I forgot we did. Started in Seattle and drove down to Mt. Rainier, then to St. Helens down to Portland, cut across to the cost and headed north. Through Astoria (Goonies NEVER DIE!!!!!) all the way up the coast through the Hoa rain Forest. Staying in Olympic a few days then finished in Port Towndsend. EPIC EPIC road trip.

Now for Glacier that is on the list for this trip. Just trying to tie it in with other areas. The wife really wants to explore the norther part of New Mexico, Taos and Santa Fe are high on the list.

May head to New Mexico first, make our way through Colorado and up to Montana to Glacier.

Start in Winnemucca NV, take two track over to Gerlach NV, head north along the west side of the Black Rock Desert, cut across the Sheldon Antelope refuge (Indian reservation I can't remember the name) drop down into Denio NV, head north out of Denio to Field Station OR (highway) gas food and beer in Fields, head north up to the Alvord Desert, drop back south towards Fields the head northwest to Frenchglen OR, from Frenchglen head up to Steens Mountain. Numerous hot springs along the way (Alvord hot springs and another I cant remember south east of Fields) . Taking your time should be about 3-4 days.

Did this on the way back from Moab last May. Weather and road conditions should be fine. Steens Mountain could have snow as it peaks out around 9k.

Go to the four corners via Flagstaff and just explore. Tons of wheeling and camping and archaeology stuff...Goblin Valley, Monument Valley, Goosenecks National Monument, etc.

The wife really wants to explore the norther part of New Mexico, Taos and Santa Fe are high on the list.

May head to New Mexico first, make our way through Colorado and up to Montana to Glacier.

Cloudcroft area :)

Thanks for the great ideas gents.

So we have decided we would like to explore Idaho and Montana or Colorado and New Mexico.

Have few suggestions for New Mexico but need a few more.

We have both never been to Idaho and Montana. Was thinking of Glacier but it may be to far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom