NC to Big Bend in December (need some input)

justjames

Adventurist
My first post here so a big thank you for all the collective wisdom. The wife and I are thinking about hitting the road in search of warmer temps for the Holiday season. I did Big Bend about a decade ago in the early spring on a motorcycle but she hasn't seen any of west Texas.

We are not on a tight time schedule so would like some input on what to see along the way as well as where to camp. Should we wander north into the Ozarks or south into the bayous? We're comfortable camping down to the mid 20's but prefer much warmer.

If you head to mobile, Alabama and jump off the interstate, headed towards the beach, you can connect the dots over towards New Orleans. Lots of people, but lots of nice beaches and lots of great seafood...

My first post here so a big thank you for all the collective wisdom. The wife and I are thinking about hitting the road in search of warmer temps for the Holiday season. I did Big Bend about a decade ago in the early spring on a motorcycle but she hasn't seen any of west Texas.

We are not on a tight time schedule so would like some input on what to see along the way as well as where to camp. Should we wander north into the Ozarks or south into the bayous? We're comfortable camping down to the mid 20's but prefer much warmer.

Welcome!

Big Bend is a haul from NC, but if it’s adventure you seek West Texas is best in winter.

If you have time than yes you would love the Ozarks and OK area. Then come down into Texas through Pan Handle. Palo Duro is a nice park but just south of it is Caprock Canyon Park. You can primitive camp there or hookups. The Bison run free it's funny to see them in campsite when you wake ;) South to Big Bend I'd then checkout Ft. Davis area and parks. Further south to Big Bend! Don't forget Big Bend area has the State Park too. Not as touristy but better camping and trails you can also have fires at campsite. I'm in Central TX near Waco but shout if you have any other questions. Just remember Texas is a "Whole other country" a lot to do but VERY BIG ;)

If you head to mobile, Alabama and jump off the interstate, headed towards the beach, you can connect the dots over towards New Orleans. Lots of people, but lots of nice beaches and lots of great seafood...
Thank you!

If you have time than yes you would love the Ozarks and OK area. Then come down into Texas through Pan Handle. Palo Duro is a nice park but just south of it is Caprock Canyon Park. You can primitive camp there or hookups. The Bison run free it's funny to see them in campsite when you wake ;) South to Big Bend I'd then checkout Ft. Davis area and parks. Further south to Big Bend! Don't forget Big Bend area has the State Park too. Not as touristy but better camping and trails you can also have fires at campsite. I'm in Central TX near Waco but shout if you have any other questions. Just remember Texas is a "Whole other country" a lot to do but VERY BIG ;)
Great info here, thank you!

To add to this, the Black Gap Wildlife Management area boarders BBNP and is even more primitive and wild than the state park! I'm also near Waco (College Station area) and am happy to help as I can. There are a few of us on this website that have spent very significant amounts of time in and around Big Bend, so we'll generally be able to answer any questions you have for specific planning, campsites, etc.

Edit:

Campgrounds/sites - 1. How primitive is ok? 2. How far down dirt roads/trails are you ok traveling to get to a site?

Thank you kind sir!

Here's a little about us in an effort to answer your questions. My wife and I are both recently retired and are just getting started in overlanding in our 2016 Tacoma. The truck has a 2.5" lift and I'm running 31" tires. I have an on-board compressor so airing down is not a problem. We have a GoFast Camper on the back and are fairly self-sufficient in that we will have a decent supply of food and usually 12 gallons of water. I've spent most of my life in the auto repair field so I know my way around a vehicle and my wife spent her career in the medical field so she's up to speed on first aid.

We're OK with primitive as long as we can find a decently level spot to park with a view and some solitude. I'm willing to travel a good ways (couple hours) off pavement for the right scenery and campsite as long as I have some confidence that I'm not getting into something I can't get out of. I'm not into rock crawling or any other extreme off-roading. I don't have a winch but I do have recovery gear and am fairly comfortable using it. The thought of doing a trail and seeing no one for days at a time sounds appealing but the reality is it would probably make us a little nervous. Self rescue only goes so far......

Hopefully this answers your questions and I'd love to hear any other suggestions/recommendations you have. I do have a question about the general area around Big Bend. When I was there on a motorcycle about 10 years ago, the Park Rangers warned us of several areas we should be wary of and not camp in due to cartel and illegal alien activity. Do you know if that is still the case?

I don't have a winch but I do have recovery gear and am fairly comfortable using it. The thought of doing a trail and seeing no one for days at a time sounds appealing but the reality is it would probably make us a little nervous. Self rescue only goes so far......

Get a winch and add a Pull Pal or Deadman to your kit. Traveling as a solo vehicle in an unforgiving desert environment is serious business, and for relatively few dollars you can ensure survivability and serious peace of mind. Vehicle self recovery is a critical capability in the desert.

:)

I hear you Dave, loud and clear!

I have a Hi-Lift with various attachments and a More Power Puller. I have used the Hi-Lift extensively in winching mode, that's why I have the MPP. Also 100 ft of Dyneema rope, 50 ft of various straps, 50 ft of chain and various shackles both soft and D-ring. Max-tracs and a good shovel. I'm an old man and fairly cautious. All this considered, do you think I'm foolish to go there without an electric winch?

Im not speaking for Dave but ive traveled many of the back roads in Big Bend NP and typically the back country roads are in pretty good shape. Obviously, check at the entrance for current conditions

The River Road is well maintained with many great campsites and there are a number of roads off there that are ready to travel. Black Gap is pretty technical but not bad if you're careful.

I'll be there next week and can post conditions.

I hear you Dave, loud and clear!

I have a Hi-Lift with various attachments and a More Power Puller. I have used the Hi-Lift extensively in winching mode, that's why I have the MPP. Also 100 ft of Dyneema rope, 50 ft of various straps, 50 ft of chain and various shackles both soft and D-ring. Max-tracs and a good shovel. I'm an old man and fairly cautious. All this considered, do you think I'm foolish to go there without an electric winch?
There you go... I'm an old man too and thus have an electric winch. Nothing can exhaust you more than using a HLJ as a winch. Set-ratchet-reset-ratchet-reset-ratchet- and on and on to gain a few feet. Much can be said for the power puller as well. Now, place all those elements in a desert environment... dehydration and heat exhaustion can creep up on you quickly, especially at our advanced ages and in the presence of any other medical conditions.

You decide. I for one do not regret the purchase of my winch over a decade ago and its a mere Warn M8000 still providing reliable service. What would be really ideal, since you mentioned earlier that you and your spouse are novices to this activity, is sourcing some deliberate OHV driving and recovery training for the both of you. You don't know what you don't know, but you'll certainly have a better appreciation for the safety and preparations a responsible off-roader needs to make before the trip begins. A dead German once said, "No man, for the first time in combat, should experience that which sets him in fear and uncertainty". Treat yourself - thank us later.

Besides, your wife will love the winch... that way she doesn't have to use the HLJ or Power Puller to winch anymore. :D

Im not speaking for Dave but ive traveled many of the back roads in Big Bend NP and typically the back country roads are in pretty good shape. Obviously, check at the entrance for current conditions

The River Road is well maintained with many great campsites and there are a number of roads off there that are ready to travel. Black Gap is pretty technical but not bad if you're careful.

I'll be there next week and can post conditions.

Unless it rains or has rained or is going to rain on you while out on the dirt roads, then River Road becomes "sporty" in some spots, Old Ore and Mavick aren't too bad.

For backcountry sites I like Terlingua Abajo or Pine Canyon (especially #5, see attached photo from that campsite) a lot more than the River Road sites. Grapvine Hills, by the way, seems perfect, except that dirt road gets a LOT of traffic all day and past sunset due to the popular trail down the road a bit.

Only once have I had a dangerous encounter with someone in Big Bend who crossed the Rio Grande and that was in Boquillas Canyon along the trail. The "upside" was that the Ranger at the Rio Grande Village Station (first one we found) only came out to chat about the incident because I was a peace officer at the time and stated I was going to go file a report with the SO. He simply didn't care because it was so common at the time (2010-ish). The last few times we've visited (five times in the past 4 years) we've had no issues with anyone except Jeep Bro's acting like Jeep Bro's out on the dirt roads and such.

I take my 2wd van on all the roads in Big Bend, just be smart, have a friend, have a dual-band radio (the linked repeater network in the region is amazing) and even with the best antenna and a Wilson repeater, there are sections where no cell service is available...period.

If you want a not-backcountry site, make reservations now (and it might be too late). For winter camping I highly recommend Cottonwood Campground. Quieter than The Basin, warmer (usually) and the birding is amazing. If not, then hit The Basin for epic star fields and sunsets while in camp. If you can't score a camp in BBNP or the State Park, check out Black Gap, it is a lot wilder than the two parks and ground fires are allowed as well (weather depending). There are numerous private campgrounds in and around Terlingua, which will make it easier to have a beverage on the porch of the Starlite for sunset over the ghost town and cemetary, which I also recommend.

Standing about 20ft in front of the van at our Pine Canyon #5 site last December.

F8Industries-WebSized-13.jpg

About 10ft in front of my tent in The Basin campground July a few years ago (you can see the outline of Casa Grande).
F8Industries-WebSized-11.jpg

OK, a little update on this........ Some "life happens", a little family drama plus a gub'ment shutdown postponed our December departure for BBNP. We're finally leaving Friday and making a beeline for SW Texas in an attempt to beat the spring break crowds of March. We have taken the time to get some off-road and recovery training from the fine folks at Overland Experts plus I've re-done the storage in the back of the truck. So thanks for all the input and I'll keep y'all posted on the trip!

Make the trip up the road to No Where you will enjoy :) Camp where it suits you... remote or in close to others. When you get to the Ranger station in the center of the park... not the new fancy one... the Rangers there will be a lot of help.

Back
Top Bottom