Navy F/A-18 Crashes in Star Wars Canyon near Death Valley

BlkWgn

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
"Reports are just now surfacing across the Web that a U.S. Navy F/A-18E Hornet may have crashed at “Father Crowley Point” inside the famous Star Wars Canyon low flying area in California, near the Nevada border."

https://theaviationist.com/2019/07/...18e-super-hornet-crashed-in-star-wars-canyon/

"
Aaron Cassell, 43, of the Panamint Springs Resort at the bottom of Star Wars Canyon told TheAviationist.com: “An F/A-18 hit the side of the canyon between Father Crowley Point parking lot and The Vista. There is a quarter-mile long debris field, a big black scorch mark and a nose cone lying up there.”

Cassell, who was among the first persons to report the sighting of a “mushroom cloud” coming from the canyon, told the Aviationist.com that, “At least six people were injured on the road. Debris is scattered all over the dirt road, all over the vista. It hit pretty fast and hard; a big, fat mushroom cloud, about 9:30 or 10:00 AM.” Cassell’s father drove to the crash scene and reported seeing “Debris on the dirt road on the vista, but not on the paved highway 190.”

Cassell also told TheAviationist.com that, “A Search and rescue helicopter lowered a litter. They closed everything off pretty quickly. I was going about my rounds and saw the mushroom cloud and called National Park dispatch.” Aaron Cassell, 43, lives at Panamint Springs Resort. Cassell mentioned that a second F/A-18 remained circling over the crash scene until a search and rescue helicopter arrived and lowered a litter.

“Star Wars Canyon” (aka Rainbow Canyon) which empties into the Panamint Valley region of Death Valley National Park has become very popular among serious aviation photographers from all around the world who daily exploit the unique opportunity to shoot fast jets, warbirds and also airlifters during their transit through low level corridor: the flight through the canyon out into the expanse of Death Valley is referred to as the “Jedi Transition” and the location is one of the few in the U.S. where photographers can catch military fighters training at low level."

This is so sad if true. One of my favorite spots. Was there in March for a dual sport ride and went a day early just to hang out there. Myself and an older couple in another Sportsmobile watched 19 planes come through in just a matter of hours. LA Times did an article on the place that weekend it turns out.

Hope everyone is ok and a speedy recovery to anyone hurt.

Back
Top Bottom