National Wireless Emergency Alert System

Today, the idea of being prepared is talked about like it's a bad thing. All part of the coerced governmental dependency, I suppose.

What will happen to those people in the event of a crisis? I guess they'd just die...

I had a glimpse of that answer a long time ago in New Orleans...

ct-mexican-army-katrina-aid-20150830

Thank God, I was afraid to ask. BTW I have no idea what it stood for but the warning tone was unmistakeable

Thank you sir, I know not of the wisdom of Mr. Wiki. I just knew when they tested it my cartoons were interrupted.

:keyboard

Yeah, these kids today will never have to endure some of the horrors we did during the Cold War.

^^^^Amazing how they always knew what time we would be attacked.

I wonder how many basements of office buildings still have their "fallout shelter" supplies buried in a back corner?

Most of those old CDC signs and the shelters themselves have been looted and re-purposed back into storage for years now. The Geiger counters used to show up on ebay but of course they were all way past calibration date. There are some interesting websites that have pictures of the shelters and the contents, a lot of which would still be at least somewhat usable in a pinch.

I honestly don't remember when they finally took down the sirens around here. I can remember them being tested on Saturdays when I was a kid, also the duck and cover and don't look at the bright light when the Ruskies nuke Charleston Naval Base. I still have a copy of Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson H. Kearny around here somewhere, the early edition with the silver cover I think it was. It's available for free in pdf format: http://www.madisoncountyema.com/nwss.pdf

Crammed into a basement with 887 of your new best friends. You can't get 5 people around a camp fire to all agree on anything...can you imagine the pandemonium if the doo-doo did hit the fan. I'd give it an hour or so before the "raw sewage" collecting in random locations in the fallout shelter would be the trigger that started the first riot...shortly followed by distribution of the rations.

Last edited:
Ahh... good times, good times...

I miss the old days of the nuclear threat and immolation...

Diving under our grade school desks, Sputnik, Cuban Missile Crisis and all . . . I remember my ol' man rushing out of the house in the middle of the night in full battle dress headed to the base, Nikes up, out of the ground and aimed, as part of the DEW line.

When in Albuquerque, New Mexico be sure to check out the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History.
One of my favorite stops when visiting as a kid. I liked it better when on base for the planes and rockets, but some interesting stuff. A whole generation of former Sandia Labs staff in their twighlight years or later in the surrounding area.

Edit: Followed the link and see they have the aircraft there now too. Been a while.

What I found most interesting was the way that they captured living in the temporary cities erected in Sandia and Los Alamos, and the reasons for selecting those locations there and in Oak Ridge at the Y-12 site. Really wasn't too terribly different than in US Armed Forces expeditionary bases today overseas. I also enjoyed Los Alamos and was amazed at the number of WWII-era Barracks, Wherry, and Capehart-style buildings of the 40's and 50's still in active use in the town proper.

Back
Top Bottom