National Wireless Emergency Alert System

TangoBlue

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
On Wednesday, the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System sent a test message to everyone using a cellphone in the US that runs on a network operated by a carrier participating in the Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) system. This is administered by FEMA.

The WEA, launched in 2012, can be traced back to the 2006 Warning, Alert, and Response Network Act passed by Congress to fund a new emergency alert system called for by President George W. Bush. The moves came after criticism of the federal government's handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. This week's alert marks the first time the system has been tested nationwide. For those of us who recall the dates... Legislation in 2006 for public law and funding, to 2018 and its first public inaugural test. Can you smell the aroma of 12 year old pork? Isn't that the picture of American resolve?

Since that test (I received an alert notice) I've read in social media all manner of responses that make me weep for this country and our future.

Naturally, volumes of complaints from the radical left asserting that this is another scheme dreamed up by President Trump to invade their privacy to even greater whack-jobs who believe they have just been telephonically "raped" by President Trump.

Equally disturbing is the number of people who have no idea what it was for and why it might be important. Or, the other extreme of panic and frantic searching for what is happening. Or, completely ignoring the bulletin altogether. Still more see it as a complete waste of time and money. There were even several lawsuits brought against the Federal government protesting this test as an invasion of privacy.

But I'm doing my part. I'm careful to explain to those of the clueless persuasion that it was merely an alert to the date and time of the new Federal program known as the, "National Purge."

Actually, now that I think about it, there may be some merit to a National Purge...

43083440_10214407682080102_2741714634217095168_n.jpg

Even with my high level of paranoia regarding gov't programs and control, this system seems like a good idea. Too bad it has taken so long, but I got the alert, even on my flip phone.

I was sitting in a conference room and 8 cell phones went off a once. Quite jarring. LOL

Yep, it reached the flip phone in our house, too.
Will there be reports made public on the progress of the Purge? I've already identified a few likely candidates and I'm wondering how effective it's going to be.

I just can't spend my life looking for a conspiracy against me/mine in every thing that happens in this world. I find it amusing that people put their whole life out there on the interweb for everyone to see and then they are the first to claim identity theft, invasion of privacy, etc.

I just can't spend my life looking for a conspiracy against me/mine in every thing that happens in this world. I find it amusing that people put their whole life out there on the interweb for everyone to see and then they are the first to claim identity theft, invasion of privacy, etc.

THIS

So much fun.

Very liberal (Past the point of reason) friend went all crazy to me about it. At the end of his rant he asked if I got the alert.

explained I did not as every month along with my white republican check I get all of the updates from Washington DC.

Yes, he bought it. No doubt the Democratic Underground website is going crazy with that revelation...

Bless his heart.

I just look at it as an opportunity to refine who I unfollow and who I just block.

You have to wonder what all these special snowflakes do when the weather alerts go off or the weekly tests of the emergency broadcast system on the radio channels. I guess they'd wet themselves if they'd ever heard the old air raid warning sirens or the ones still used in small communities for the volunteer rescue squads.

Incidentally I didn't get it on my old Verizon flip phone.

Equally disturbing is the number of people who have no idea what it was for and why it might be important.

This is what boggles my mind.

The biggest problem of today's technology (everything from running water in the house and light switches to the everything in the world is available to me on the internet) is so many people have forgotten about (or never knew) the reality of Mother Nature and the world around them. It would not take much for all the technology to fail. Then what?

Sure, we'd all be camping, and living life (surviving, if necessary). But about the apathetic, clueless ones?

This is what boggles my mind.

The biggest problem of today's technology (everything from running water in the house and light switches to the everything in the world is available to me on the internet) is so many people have forgotten about (or never knew) the reality of Mother Nature and the world around them. It would not take much for all the technology to fail. Then what?

I saw a small sampling of what this might look like when the Southern California power grid went down on Sept. 8th, 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Southwest_blackout

But about the apathetic, clueless ones?

Those are the folks that run through the darkness, shouting up and down Escondido streets, discharging their firearms into the air, and then knock on your door wondering if you have a generator...

That day and evening left and indelible impression on me, as I saw what might happen when many of the things we take for granted...were taken.

It was a real "Then what?" moment...

Back on topic...all of this "Presidential Alert" crap could have been avoided, if they simply went the old fashioned route and labeled it a "Federal Emergency Alert."

...all of this "Presidential Alert" crap could have been avoided, if they simply went the old fashioned route and labeled it a "Federal Emergency Alert."
You mean, call it what it is? :D

The only explanation I can guess is that it's all about pettiness and ego these days in Washington, DC.

The system was designed 12 years ago. I don't think petty egos are anything new... :(
This is true Scott... but to clarify, years ago the system had a different name until this administration.

I refrained from elaborating earlier, but I think political and governmental ego and pettiness have achieved an all new high. I appreciate some of the positive things that have been accomplished for our Nation, but I'm embarrassed to see how they have been achieved and all the other divisive baggage that's been collected along that path.

A strategy that appears to embrace, "the ends justify the means, morality doesn’t matter, feel free to use this as a justification for any questionable policy", is neither American or sustainable; and, I predict, there will be a steep price to pay (AKA Karma).

This is true Scott... but to clarify, years ago the system had a different name until this administration.

I refrained from elaborating earlier, but I think political and governmental ego and pettiness have achieved an all new high. I appreciate some of the positive things that have been accomplished for our Nation, but I'm embarrassed to see how they have been achieved and all the other divisive baggage that's been collected along that path.

A strategy that appears to embrace, "the ends justify the means, morality doesn’t matter, feel free to use this as a justification for any questionable policy", is neither American or sustainable; and, I predict, there will be a steep price to pay (AKA Karma).

I don't disagree.

What was the system originally called? I recall it having the name "President" (or something like that) in it. Of course, that memory is from the previous administration. I don't remember anything about the system from 12 years ago.

I don't disagree.

What was the system originally called? I recall it having the name "President" (or something like that) in it. Of course, that memory is from the previous administration. I don't remember anything about the system from 12 years ago.

A little alert history here:

https://www.wired.com/story/presidential-text-alert-fema-emergency-history/

Great quote from that article...

"The officials in charge of the system had little confidence that all of the alerts would make much difference. Lt. Robert Hogan, New York’s deputy head of civil defense, said at one point, 'The people who hear them will run into buildings and be turned to sand in a few seconds anyway.' "

Honestly, I always thought it was referred to as the Emergency Broadcast System; the crawl of info and alert tones heard from my television from time to time during testing.

A little alert history here:

https://www.wired.com/story/presidential-text-alert-fema-emergency-history/

Great quote from that article...

"The officials in charge of the system had little confidence that all of the alerts would make much difference. Lt. Robert Hogan, New York’s deputy head of civil defense, said at one point, 'The people who hear them will run into buildings and be turned to sand in a few seconds anyway.' "

Honestly, I always thought it was referred to as the Emergency Broadcast System; the crawl of info and alert tones heard from my television from time to time during testing.

OK.

So, my remembering "president" had to do with petty egos, not the actual system itself.

Back in the day, people took their preparation and preparedness very seriously. Today, the idea of being prepared is talked about like it's a bad thing. All part of the coerced governmental dependency, I suppose.

What will happen to those people in the event of a crisis? I guess they'd just die...

Back
Top Bottom