My top three campsites from my east coast "No Highways Tour" trip.

Dean

Adventurist
Founding Member
#3 - Peaks of the Otter in VA just off the Blue Ridge Parkway

#2 - Allegheny National Forest just off a fire road

#1 - Baker Creek State Park in South Carolina just off the Savannah River

It was a tough call between #1 and #2, but the sunset over Baker Creek SP is what settled it.

I couldn't have asked for a better view before going to bed.

Click to enlarge photos to 720HD resolution.

I like a good campsite. Although temporary, if it can generate thoughts like, "I could live here..." it was well worth the journey.

I would be interested in a little more info on why.... the scenery, since two were campgrounds, were they spacious, etc. I have not camp at any of the three, but you peaked my interest.

I would be interested in a little more info on why.... the scenery, since two were campgrounds, were they spacious, etc. I have not camp at any of the three, but you peaked my interest.

Since I was traveling solo on a multi-day trip I opted to stay at campgrounds for security reasons as well as the ability to have "facilities." It was a compromise, but one I felt I had to make. At least for a first-time big trip like this. My next project will be a camper trailer so that will allow for a little more flexibility be it solo or with a small group.

Anyway I'll try to elaborate a little more:

Peak's of the Otter was very spacious compared to some campgrounds I was at. It was also at like 10% capacity with multiple empty sites between occupants. I was actually the only person on my stretch of road. It was very nice, lots of shade, and the tent pad was actually soft.

The Allegheny National Forest site was hands-down the best overland-adventure site. It was remote, no one for miles, it was as primitive as could be... and I even had some late night four-legged furry visitors. It just wasn't all that "epic" in terms of being nothing more than a campsite in the woods just off a fire road. Wasn't anything super special or memorable about it.

The reason I opted to put Baker Creek over the ANF site was because the campground, as campgrounds go, was actually pretty nice. My site was just on the water, well shaded, and had power & water. I was also the only site on my corner (thanks to a generous Park Ranger) so it was pretty quiet. There was a little noise from the other campers that were there leading into the holiday weekend, but it was nothing more than typical campground noise.

In contrast one of my least favorite ones was on Jekyll Island. Too crowded. Too noisy. It was more of an RV park than for tent camping... and the people were pretty rude.

Honorable mention #1 would be Loft Mountain in Shenandoah. Very spacious as campgrounds go. Easy pull-in/pull-out for travel trailers, small RV's, and the tent-sites were set back pretty far. People were very nice. That's where I talked to a guy on a BMW with knobbies who was riding north from NC as I was driving south. Also some other campers nearby that had their trailer decked out with every place they had been. Humbled me and my little trip a little bit.

The second honorable mention would be Branbury State Park in Vermont. There was no one there so I pretty much had the place to myself (on the tent/lean-to side at least). My lean-to was stream-side which was very scenic. On reason I didn't vote it higher was because I nearly froze my but off so I have some misgivings about looking back on my time there. It also was a little small with lean-to sites only yards apart.

Personally I don't mind campgrounds. I can be a little social and with traveling alone it was nice to have the positive interactions with other campers when I had them. However, the few negative problems also made me appreciate the primitive sites like ANF a little more. Traveling solo with making/braking camp every day just wore on me. Hoping a travel-trailer will help change that and give me more flexibility (and security) to solo camp more remotely.

Oh small group trip? What are the signup requirements? :)

Carry your own weight; don't be an ass; be up for an adventure. That's about it. I'm kind of a laid-back guy who tries to get along with everyone. Doesn't always happen, but I at least try.

Beyond the shows (MAOF, AAR, OEE, & VOR) I have a few tentative weekend trips planned to WV (July), VA (Labor Day), around PA some more (whenever I feel like it), and eventually back to Maine (no idea when that will be).

Dean,

I agree, on the East Coast, there is the need to be OK with campgrounds. At least state parks.... Reason I asked, some are so much better than others, for example in NY - Watkins Glen SP has great sites, big and secluded while very close by, Taughannock Falls State Park the sites were small, crowded and dirty....

Dean,

I agree, on the East Coast, there is the need to be OK with campgrounds. At least state parks.... Reason I asked, some are so much better than others, for example in NY - Watkins Glen SP has great sites, big and secluded while very close by, Taughannock Falls State Park the sites were small, crowded and dirty....

Speaking of Watkins Glen, there are also campsites within Watkins Glen National Forest. I had no idea they were there (honestly didn't look beforehand) and I didn't see anyone over there. Might try hitting that up the next time I'm in the Finger Lakes.

Back
Top Bottom