my project

Dang! that looks good.
finished the tail gate, priming, base coat & clear finish. I cure the finish with infrared heaters in my paint booth. The hidden tailgate latches makes for a clean look on the outside.

003.JPG

very impressed with AT Overland Equipment. Just got off the phone about their shovel & ax mount. Extremely helpful about my need to attach their product to a home fabricated spare tire mount were I will be using their product at. I will be placing a order for their shovel & ax mount.

very impressed with AT Overland Equipment. Just got off the phone about their shovel & ax mount. Extremely helpful about my need to attach their product to a home fabricated spare tire mount were I will be using their product at. I will be placing a order for their shovel & ax mount.
They can be very good, but in my experience with their trailer products, your project eclipses what they offer.

That is one impressive trailer build. You have quite a skilled hand with the paint gun and knowledge of coatings.

Great work!

-Andy

worked on my trailer this last evening. Sandblasted the underneath of the 3\16" aluminum bed floor, then sprayed chassis undercoating. I still have to bolt down the bed to the chassis. I sealed the license plate light wiring with black waterproof sealant. I couldn't use rubber wiring grommets because of the thickness of the frame rails & the license plate light wouldn't sit flush with the fender.
Theirs lots of little stuff needs to be finished before my next stage which is the roof top tent rack & the mount for the 100watt Renogy solar panel.

getting the new tires mounted General Grabbers AT 215\75R\15
finished up the spare tire mount & install it
install the tonneau cover
install the tailgate cables & hardware
spray the bed liner on the interior of the bed (this Saturday afternoon)

View attachment 34844

012.JPG

011.JPG

Last edited:
......well I am just about completing my rolling chassis & tub build of the Dinoot M416 build before I start on the other stages & want to give my honest truthful opinion review of the Dinoot Tub build so far.
Here's my opinion & review of the Dinoot M416 Tub build.
Pro's.......1st of all dealing with Scott with Compact Camping Concepts was good experience overall. The only real complaint I had dealing with Scott was his subdued way of bashing the Smittybilt Roof Top Tent I bought prior before the build. As a business owner myself I do not make it a habit to bash or tear down other businesses or there products. The reason why I purchased the Smittybilt Roof Top Tent was I have a good friend who works for them (NO I didn't get a friend deal either). After thinking why someone would poke negative comment on a product from a company I was buying their products for the build my thought was because I didn't buy one of Scott's Tepui Tents he sells. But over all I thought he was very thorough, exact & good to deal with.

2nd The instructions were 100% user friendly & very understandable, with good service on tracking of the packages with plenty of notification on the shipment.

3rd the quality of the parts & construction were good for what it is made of, very stout & solid in most part with a few concerns.
Over all I am very happy with what I have accomplished in this build & what I call a great "entry level" overland trailer build.

Now for the con's...... the frame "I" used was a Harbor Freight Trailer (the super duty) w\ many mod's, I wished I would of built my own. The cost of the frame & all the extra material to the frame, the new tongue fabrication would of be the same cost if I built my own from scratch. That was a learning experience on my part.

The Dinoot tailgate stinks, no if's &'s or buts, metal constructed (which is good) but it's tweaked, it isn't flat & doesn't fit correctly in the opening. Plus aesthetically it doesn't match the trailers lines of the M416. The tailgate is a copy of a JK Jeep tailgate with a beveled top were the M416 trailer tub has squared lines. Another issue is the gap between the tub opening & tailgate when it's closed, we are dealing with 1\2" gap all a way around, were the tailgate should sit properly in the opening against each part (end tub piece & tailgate). Nothing what some 3\4" 1\2 round automotive weather stripping will solve the problem, which I did installed.

Another issue I didn't like was the bottom of the tailgate opening, it is 2 7\8" higher than the floor of the tub which make it impossible to slide your gear out directly onto the tailgate. Example, my Engel 22qt 12v fridg\freez is 41lbs empty & it makes it tough lifting it out on to the tailgate. Picture this, the tailgate in the open position laying horizontal reaching over the tailgate & lifting a 41 lb item about 3" up over this area on to the tailgate. I feel this design problem shirks any plans to have a slide out kitchen or slide out fridg\freez which I was hoping for. Which come to a picture of a Army OD Green Dinoot M416 on another forum with the bed flush with the tailgate which made "me" believe the bed floor was flush with the tailgate to begin with when I first thought about ordering the Dinoot kit.

Which leads me to this problem, setting my 41lb Engel on the tailgate, the vertical sides (opening were the tail gate fits into) of the back tub piece started buckling on the sides when applying some weight to. Again I saw a photo on the same forum of the same guy standing on his Dinoot tailgate in the open position stating he weigh 185lbs which lead "me" to believe the tub back piece & the tailgate would support my Engel or anything over 41 lbs prior to the purchase of the Dinoot kit.
This is were some serious reinforcing is need to fit my concerns on the back part of the tub around the tailgate opening. I had to add some 3\16 thick metal, some welding, drilling holes, tapping threads & counter sinking, some machine screws & some creative imagination to solve this issue. The problem was solved & personally I shouldn't have to do this in the 1st place after paying what I did for the tub kit.

Another issue was the tailgate cable kit, doesn't fit the M416 tub very well. When I purchase this from Scott, he told me some fabrication was needed. By the time you cut slots for the tailgate for the hidden latch into the rear part of the tub your cables will not work or line up where they should, they would be too long, because the slots for the tailgate latch is where the cable lines & mounting kit goes so to keep your tailgate level when open. I had to come up with a alternative for that. Move the mounting system lower (which I had to fabricate) down below the slots & use chains instead of the cables to keep the tailgate level in open position.

The No-Weld Rack System has a lot to be desired, I like the concept & the look of the gussets, but just bolting the rack together is questionable for stability IMO. Fasteners loosen up over a period of time, no matter if you use lock nuts, especially off road use. So I welded areas on the no-weld gussets to add strength & stability so no movement could happen. Another thing about the rack kit that bothered me was it needed some front diagonal bracing to make sure everything stays solid when we go off road. I noticed w\o the diagonal bracing the rack did move some. Maybe this would work for asphalt overlanding, but IMO not off road overlanding. In the past bolt together racks always seem to loosen up by vibration & use, no matter how tight you went with the bolts. To weld these sections of the gussets in place with the 1 1\2" tubing only adds insurance they will not come loose or be wobbly when in travel. Another issue with the NO-Weld system was mounting the roof top tent, once you figure what direction you want your tent to open & arrange your tent mounting track, I choose off to the right side, the center bracing when using the NO-Weld gussets your RTT mounting brackets land right on the gussets, no matter were you locate them (least for the M416 Dinoot) & your brackets to the RRT wont line up to the bolts which are adjustable on the track. I had to come up & fabricate new brackets wider & in length so I have the clearance for the gussets.
I did experience quite few unforeseen surprises with Scott's products which only cost me time to figure out solutions so I can continue my build which only added more to the cost in money when you have a round about budget you want to work with because your spending more time coming up with solution's to solves issues I mention. But over all the build was an experience & tested my creativity, but enjoyable one on the most part.
To be quite honest & truthful if I had it to do all over again I would of went with Anchor Mountain tub (which I found during the build). The Dinoot M416 is a good trailer for a Overlanding "if" you solve the problem I experienced. I am happy with the over all trailer & outcome. It will serve me & my wife well on many Overlanding trips as well as many hunting trips. I build it stout enough to handle the riggers of overlanding & offroad hunting trips deep in the back country.

Last edited:
got more done on my overland camping trailer. I sprayed the bedliner inside the bed & back side of the tailgate yesterday. This morning I re-installed the tail gate, all the hardware, installed the tonneau cover frame & cover. Had to fire up the infrared heaters to make the material to the cover more pliable to get the top on. All is left is to finish up the fabrication on the spare tire carrier mount & getting the General Grabber AT's tires mounted.

Next step, the roof top tent rack & 100watt Renogy solar panel mount from 1 1\2" tubing. The solar panel will be mounted in front of the roof top tent over hanging the front tongue box. The mount will be adjust to raise & lower the 100 watt panel.

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

Thanks Dave, the detail into this trailer is the same I do for my customers firearms in the finishes I offer. The quality of the materials used comes into the factor of the overall look as well as the prep work prior before the primer is applied. I want a finish & a product that will last me & the wife w\o failure or problems. I put a lot of thought into this with some hurdles & bad choices, but overall the help of looking at many overland trailers & the way they have been constructed & items outfitted on the net has given me the direction I was wanting with a personal twist to it. I try to purchase good quality gear & materials that will last & user friendly that will fit a into a dual role; pleasure & prepping purpose, 100% off grid overland trailer is my goal.

We'll see when it comes to electrical......lol I'll be seeking help from the members here & asking questions. I am not a smart cookie when it involves electrical.

done more to the overland trailer, took the new tires down to the local gas station & had them mounted (General Grabbers AT2 215\75R\15), removed the tires I mocked up this project & will use them on one of my farm trailers.

Here's a picture of the bedliner I sprayed to the back side of the tailgate, the interior of the bed & side walls. I applied a heavier application to the interior of the bed & tailgate then the outside of the trailer tub & frame rails.

Done away with the tonneau cover frame clamps (dont trust them) & used 14 small machine screws, lock washers, flat washers & nuts to attach the tonneau cover frame to the bed rail gunnels.

Sally (my wife) went to the revenue office (like a DMV) to register trailer, she gave them all the information & they issued us a vin number. So now I'll take it to a place & have it stamps into some metal & rivet to the frame. They gave us our permanent trailer license plate. Cost....$ 46.00. Only had to give them weight of the trailer, weight capacity, length what the trailer & use. No hassles or politics. Now to the insurance company.

010.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

Last edited:
got my new tail lights on & wired. Had to prep them for primer, paint & clear coat, to match the existing color I put on the trailer.
I went with incandescent bulb lights this time instead of the LED's. I went with different rubber wiring grommets this time around. Their cone shaped grommet, you make a small incisions in the pointed part and feed the wires threw. Makes for a real tight seal.

016.JPG

019.JPG

015.JPG

Last edited:
worked on my overland trailer today. Made the spare tire mount, constructed of thick wall 1 1\2" tubing & 3\16" plate, 1
\2" bolts & 1\2" locking nuts. I drilled (2) 1\2" holes threw the 3\16" plate, ran the bolts threw & welded them on the back side of the plate. Tomorrow I'll sand blast it, prime it, paint it Coyote Tan & clear coat it, then install the 1 1\2" plastic end cap.
Mid week I'll install it on the tongue, like on the photo. The tire just rest on the tongue (diamond plate deck) on its own weight while attached.
Took the trailer out on the Hwy today up to speeds of 70mph, but cruz'd at 55mph & pulled great, 25 mile round trip. Got quite a few thumbs up from passer byer's.

699.JPG

700.JPG

705.JPG

Yesterday I fab'd a spare tire mount & media blasted it, primed it with a epoxy automotive primer. I got up early this morning & applied the Coyote Tan & 2 coats of satin clear finish to the spare tire mount for my overland camping trailer. I also media blasted the bolts & the screw that holds the plastic cap on. I moly coated those bolts & the screw matte black & bake those for 2 hours in one of my gun ovens. Now the rolling chassis is complete & I can take a break & deer hunt for a week to 10 days.

051.JPG

053.JPG

057.JPG

061.JPG

066.JPG

078.JPG

081.JPG

085.JPG

ordered 2 awning yesterday, will be using Tuff Stuff's 4.5ft x 6ft awnings, 2 of them. One I'll mount one the rear of the tent rack the other on the front which I'll fabricate to swing out to the right side w\adjustable drop leg. I also order my material for the tent rack, 1 1\2" thick wall tubing & 2" angle iron. My Smittbilt 2783 roof top tent will be mounted on the right side of the trailer as well (ladder wise).

done more work on my overland trailer today. Sally & I worked on the tent rack. My order of 40ft. of 1 1\2" thick wall square tubing is here.

I changed my mind on some things I originally planned on tent rack, like the solar panel mounted on front of the tent rack, decided to go with 2 portable 100 watt suit case style panels. The tent rack changed color from originally matte black to Coyote Tan with black socket head machine screws. The gussets look awesome which I bolted & welded & the diagonal brace took a while to figure the angle but sure added the strength. I was worried it would be wobbly like a swing set, but it is robust as a oak. My experience with bolt together kits they loosen up over a period of time. I spent all day just on one side, I'm tired & sore & dying for a Jim Beam on ice & a juicy BBQ burger.

Soon as I finish the other side & the 2 center supports, I'll sand blast it to removed the mil scale & prime it with a automotive epoxy primer, 2 coats of the Coyote Tan base color & 2 coats of a low luster satin clear automotive finish.

030.JPG

035.JPG

021.JPG

031.JPG

033.JPG

Last edited:
finished fabricating the tent rack for the overland trailer. Felt like a long day, started @ 7am & finished up @ 3pm. Cutting metal, dry fit it, mark it, take back to the other shop & tack weld, go back down to the other shop bolting down, not quite right, unbolting it , scribe more material (removing), grind it off, tack weld again, repeat until its exact. This was several trips. Weld it & bolt it down call it good. This rack is solid as a oak, zero movement the whole entire trailer moves. The diagonal braces (which had the diagonal bracing) was an after thought, I wanted to make sure the tent rack is solid & can withstand off road use. It covers the light switch to the 2 low wattage LED lights & I can still access it with ease with plenty of room to turn them on or off.

Now its all about disassembled which I made it to be taking apart in halves, with the 2 center braces unbolt, wash it all down, sand blast it, prime it, paint it Coyote Tan, & 2 coat of satin clear coat. The button socket machine screws with be coated matte black to match the rest of the machine screw I've coated.

The yellow tape is were the location of the Smittybilt roof top tent will sit on the rack, directly over the axle.

I installed a rubber wiring grommet in side the tubing for running wires inside the tubing & down the down tube for 2 low wattage LED weatherproof lights on the tent rack.

I still have to fabricate swing out arms for the awnings. But I will do that in time, most likely in the early summer. I just want to get this rack primed & painted & clear coated before the cold weather hits.

016.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

015.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

022.JPG

020.JPG

Last edited:
mocked up the 2 low wattage LED 12v lights on the tent rack for my overland trailer for the right side @ both ends. I'll be running the wiring for these lights inside the 1 1\2" thick wall tubing which I installed a rubber wiring grommet inside the tubing then down inside the down tube into the tongue box. These 2 LED lights will cast out a filtered light green light. I wanted them in a filtered color for a few reasons, (1.) minimize bugs, (2.) regular white light is blinding walking into the light @ night, (3.) colored lights have that long distances low detection at night. Filtered colored lights decreases the strength of the light and will actually help you see some things better @ night.
Tonight Sally & will disassemble the rack in 2 halves & remove the two center braces (how I constructed it) for prep; sand blast, then spray automotive epoxy primer, spray Coyote Tan base coat (2 coats) & apply satin clear coat (2 coats). Then re-assemble on to the trailer were @ the end of the month I'll install the new Smittybilt 2783 Roof Top Tent. Inching closer to finishing on this trailer. Next stage is the wiring in the tongue box. This build has been going on now since May of 2017.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom