My new camera: Nikon D3200

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
With the advent of this website and the fact that all my travels to date had been captured on a point and shoot Canon or my iPhone, it was time to get a camera worthy of the journey.

nikon1.jpg

I chose the Nikon D3200 based on a variety of factors such as price, performance and ease of use. I purchased it with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens and a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens.

My initial intent was to buy a Canon Rebel T3i but after handling both of them I chose the Nikon - both are amazing but I just felt more at ease with the Nikon's controls, the intuitive Guide Mode facilitates learning and put me at ease right away. With powerul features like a 24.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor, full HD 1080p movie capability and great low light photo potential, I'm excited to take this camera into the wild.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-slr-Cameras/25492/D3200.html

You'll love the camera, I bought the T2i about three years ago and love it. Filmed all of my sons college recruiting videos in HD with it and put them on youtube; everybody was surprised when i told them I did it with my DSLR.

Next I want to get a lens in the 500mm range.

Very Nice! I got a Cannon T2I a couple years ago for Christmas. You can't go wrong with Nikon or Cannon.

Right on, Dave! Looking forward to seeing some of your new images with the camera. I'm currently using a Nikon D200 which was a fine camera about five years ago but doesn't have HD video capability. Curious to read your long-term feedback. Enjoy!

I've been trying to get my wife to get on board with a Nikon or Cannon DSLR, but she just hasn't bought in yet :( Nice choice!

I've been trying to get my wife to get on board with a Nikon or Cannon DSLR, but she just hasn't bought in yet :( Nice choice!

Do you have Kids? That's how I sold her on the idea, the camera is not for me its for taking pictures of the kids you know so we'll have them. She was like ok in that case go ahead and get it.

I'm trying the same approach for a new lift for my taco and so far it aint working.

Do you have Kids? That's how I sold her on the idea, the camera is not for me its for taking pictures of the kids you know so we'll have them. She was like ok in that case go ahead and get it.

I'm trying the same approach for a new lift for my taco and so far it aint working.
Yeah we have an 18 month old daughter, and we're trying for number two now.. I am gonna push her a little more to get one :). Now to decide, Nikon or Cannon? :) That's a whole different debate.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel, it desperately needs a good cleaning. Any of you guys know of a shop in the San Diego area that can do it. Or for that matter, I'll pay someone here to do it if they know how.

I've put together a few decent trip reports (trying not to pull my arm out of it's socket patting myself on the back). I've gotten away from it a bit because my pics always have dirt/dust in them. I'm too cheap to nut for a new camera right now.

I know that I sound like an old fuddy-duddy but damn, I miss my old Cannon F1 with the f1.2 50mm lens. That camera spent 25 years faithfully by my side and every shot was perfect. Its use was so intuitive that it seemed that you just thought how you wanted the image to come out and it happened. And, this is big, I didn't have to charge it all the time- one small battery lasted about four years. It finally died when I dropped it 15 feet onto a boulder while on a backpacking trip in the Sierras.

I now have an older Nikon DSLR and I hate it because it is almost impossible to use it in a truly manual mode. DSLR's, for some reason, don't have a split focus ring in the viewfinder making it almost impossible to focus on your subject or get the depth of field that you want. The cmputer on my camera seems to think that it knows what is best for me (just like our government) and won't let me do what I want. Remember the days when the focus and aperture settings were printed right there on the lens? I used to be able to tell my F1 to focus right at 10 feet in a low light situation/flash shot and it wouldn't argue with me or ignore me. Not anymore!

Don't get me started! Sorry about that. Congrats on the new Nikon. I'll be interested to hear what you think about it because I want to replace my despised camera soon.

Cam

Back
Top Bottom