My Go Fast Camper!

Yep. I have another interview out there later this month.
Let me know if you need anything - I live about an hour away from Dahlgren; I'm actually just 15 minutes south of MCB Quantico. Ryan's going to the SEA for about 6 weeks in Aug to Sep FWIW.

After 7 straight nights in the camper I am even happier with my purchase. The ease of set up and take down over the RTT is game changing. Still having access to the bed through the side doors only makes it sweeter. Some observations on the last week:

Ride quality: No change from the RTT and rack system. Up and down the mountain roads in Big Bear was not an issue. I did notice that the wiring harness for my solar panels squeaks as it rubs the back slider but this has decreased markedly. I am getting used to not having a rear view anymore but I have a camera to connect to my stereo when it isn’t too damned hot.

Storage: I’m slowly getting everything in its place. The biggest hurdle is trying to avoid carrying too much crap. I have 4 more tie down points to install in the bed but I don’t want to drill holes until I like the setup. Access to the fridge from the driver side is remarkably simple. If I was shorter that wouldn’t be as easy though.
BAF7D2F5-BDF7-4F90-814E-234D7F9EA121.jpeg

Bed comfort: Better than my RTT. I sleep as much as my alarm clock will let me. Luckily he is getting with the retired program and no longer gets up at 0530.

Cons: So far I have one big one and one little one. The big con is that I have trouble closing the top. The driver side closes easily but I have to put a lot of weight (glad I have extra) on the passenger side for the latch to line up. I have noticed that collapsing the tent and then waiting allows it to close easier so I am guessing some of the issue is with trapped air in the tent. I will have GFC check it out when I am up that way this month. The little issue is there is not an easy way to add my rear awning. The design of the latch means the awning mount must be offset 2-3 inches rearward and then raised 1-2 inches to avoid blocking the center brake light. Minor but annoying when I am standing in the sun with an awning sitting in the back of the truck. I have some ideas to make this work...

Maybe a rear awning that isn’t permanently mounted? I have small Kelty awning that attaches to a roof rack or luggage rack or just about anything that uses a couple of awning poles. It’s more guy wires than a hard mount but it does the job when necessary.

After 7 straight nights in the camper I am even happier with my purchase. The ease of set up and take down over the RTT is game changing. Still having access to the bed through the side doors only makes it sweeter. Some observations on the last week:

Ride quality: No change from the RTT and rack system. Up and down the mountain roads in Big Bear was not an issue. I did notice that the wiring harness for my solar panels squeaks as it rubs the back slider but this has decreased markedly. I am getting used to not having a rear view anymore but I have a camera to connect to my stereo when it isn’t too damned hot.

Storage: I’m slowly getting everything in its place. The biggest hurdle is trying to avoid carrying too much crap. I have 4 more tie down points to install in the bed but I don’t want to drill holes until I like the setup. Access to the fridge from the driver side is remarkably simple. If I was shorter that wouldn’t be as easy though.
View attachment 40178
Bed comfort: Better than my RTT. I sleep as much as my alarm clock will let me. Luckily he is getting with the retired program and no longer gets up at 0530.

Cons: So far I have one big one and one little one. The big con is that I have trouble closing the top. The driver side closes easily but I have to put a lot of weight (glad I have extra) on the passenger side for the latch to line up. I have noticed that collapsing the tent and then waiting allows it to close easier so I am guessing some of the issue is with trapped air in the tent. I will have GFC check it out when I am up that way this month. The little issue is there is not an easy way to add my rear awning. The design of the latch means the awning mount must be offset 2-3 inches rearward and then raised 1-2 inches to avoid blocking the center brake light. Minor but annoying when I am standing in the sun with an awning sitting in the back of the truck. I have some ideas to make this work...
You may want to look at a piece of aluminum extrusion to space/raise mounting location. I have a ShadyBoy awning on the back of my FlipPac mounted in this manner. PM if you want pics

Never liked those canopy types. Too many guy lines, flappy, and looks to be a pain to setup compared to the hard mount awnings. That looks to be a multi-person setup as well which i dont think will work for Andy's case... unless Jaxx grows an extra 4 feet and is able to stand on his hind legs with his opposable thumbs.

I stopped by GFC yesterday and they adjusted the top so now it closes evenly and easily. Awning mount is on the back burner as I discovered today I sheared both front coilover mounts at some point. Upgrade opportunity!

Back
Top Bottom