My Go Fast Camper!

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
Friday the 13th was a lucky day for me, my GFC is here! Very pleased with how simple the install was (especially watching Graeme from GFC doing all the work) and how everything fits perfectly.

Before:
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG

After:
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG

Next I need to start building the interior to suit my travels. I did a test setup of my main camping gear: ARB fridge, 2 water cans, campsite gear in a pelican case and 2x eight gallon action packers for food and cooking gear.
IMG_0627.JPG

Very nice! They are a slick set up, but I think they need a bit more dust proofing IMO, but with the Taco's tailgate your fighting a loosing battle anyway I guess.

Very nice! They are a slick set up, but I think they need a bit more dust proofing IMO, but with the Taco's tailgate your fighting a loosing battle anyway I guess.

That’s been a prolific observation, I will report on my experience in the next few months.

The only area of concern is the tailgate. I added weatherstripping on the sides and bottom to help alleviate dust intrusion. Time (and I) will tell.

That’s been a prolific observation, I will report on my experience in the next few months.

The only area of concern is the tailgate. I added weatherstripping on the sides and bottom to help alleviate dust intrusion. Time (and I) will tell.

Please be optimistic, by all means, but I respectfully suggest that you're pissing up a rope. If I had a nickel for every thread I've read where someone was trying to seal their rear tailgate to eliminate, or even minimize dust intrusion, I'd be driving a Gelandewagon on portals.

I'm still sucking dust out of my truck from Maine to Moab (you can tell the difference by the colors), from some of the most unlikely places.

Please be optimistic, by all means, but I respectfully suggest that you're pissing up a rope. If I had a nickel for every thread I've read where someone was trying to seal their rear tailgate to eliminate, or even minimize dust intrusion, I'd be driving a Gelandewagon on portals.

I'm still sucking dust out of my truck from Maine to Moab (you can tell the difference by the colors), from some of the most unlikely places.

Absolute true statement right there...................I have tried and it is a losing battle.

I don't think I've read anyone complain about dust so far on GFC side doors. They come w/ a standard bulb seal. The bigger issue for dust is usually with the pockets and drainage holes in the bed, underneath the bedsides, and not the tailgate itself. I have a Habitat and that's where all the dust comes in. It might be better if I converted one of those side pockets and hooked it up into one of the the cabin vents to pull out filtered air, but I mean, I could just deal w/ the dust. I think the bigger complaint is that there's not a ton of room for sleeping stuff or having to lift the cushion to go down below, but have that room would mean less likelihood of fitting in a garage, being unable to store stuff over the cab if you have any room left on top, etc. The design philosophy of the GFC is lightweight and quick access.

Working on the interior build. The idea (like the camper) is to keep it simple. I added a back wall onto the threaded tube inserts it comes with and placed my axe, shovel and saw on it with quick fists. The original plan was to mount them externally to the extrusions but having to clear the gas struts made them stick out too far.
988033FF-E734-4609-BDEF-E164B94BD684.jpeg

I also put in a bungee net for sleeping gear.
462159B3-49B8-49C7-B593-B7F290E02856.jpeg

I'm studying your build and experiences with this set-up. Thanks for the updates!

Same here.. I'm really liking these GFC's... this is about perfect for what I want and have been looking for. So damn tempting....

The part that I’m really liking is the full access to the bed with the doors open. Plus they shade the interior and allow full cross flow. It really makes a huge difference.

The part that I’m really liking is the full access to the bed with the doors open. Plus they shade the interior and allow full cross flow. It really makes a huge difference.
I bet the cross-flow is nice, but I'm wondering about insects... what's the solution for that?

What are insects?

People in crappy swamp states have made bug nets that Velcro in. I will have to do the same moving to the swamp coast.

Back
Top Bottom