My employer just restructured the company and I lost my job.

Andy G

Adventurist
Merry Fucking Christmas to me.

Was home sick today, and around 930am got a call from my team lead and the head of H.R.

The company recently sold a division off to another boat manufacturer, and apparently there wasn’t enough room left for myself and 4 others, so bam...just like that the second career I thought I’d have forever is gone.

They’re giving me a 5 week severance package, plus paying out the 9 days of vacation that I had on the books. My last paycheck will be January 10th.

I don’t know how the fuck to tell my wife.

Damn. This Vernor’s and Bourbon isn’t quite strong enough.

So sorry to hear this man. Just remember things happen for a reason and while it feels like a nightmare now there must be a reason you are being led in a different direction. Keep posting it is good to vent!

Major suckage there. And the timing! Let's hope that "closes a door, opens a window" thing works out for ya.

I lost my job of 15 years back in June...came back from vacation and was told that I wasn't part of the new management regime's plans. I took a couple of months off to figure out what I was going to do, after one misfire, I landed a better job than what I had.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

I got released from my executive management career in 2008. Ended going wheeling every day for a couple months when I had a new Jeep and a 5 year old daughter. It was the best time off to reset. Didn’t even know I needed it. Long story short, I lost a lot more than just my job that year but I was pushed into a new career field and I couldn’t be happier. Life has a way of sorting itself out.

First thing would be to tell your wife. Second is to see if you qualify for unemployment benefits. Good luck because that's really hard!

You didn't fail. Your employer did.

Tell the wife, file for unemployment and let the job search begin. every time it happened to me I came out better in the end.

Last edited:
I've had two jobs relocate on me. One back to NY and the other off shore to Chile. In a force reduction like this, at least here in CA, you DO qualify for unemployment. File ASAP as the waiting period clock doesn't start ticking until you file. It can be done online.

I agree 100% with goin camping - you did not fail! Hopefully your former company will provide some sort of outplacement service?

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's been a full week now of soul searching and some job searching.

I told the wife - and she was more supportive than I ever imagined she would be.

Admittedly the severance package takes some of the sting (and RUSH to find something else) off. I'm over and done with being pissed and am enjoying the extra time with her at home. I'm poking around at some jobs here and there but nothing serious - yet. That'll come over the next few weeks.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to replying, but do want to thank each of you that replied with your kind words.

Andy

Sounds like you have the right attitude.
Enjoy the Holidays, if possible, and deal with the job in January.

Our family has a saying for times like these: “Six months from now things will be different...”. Six months isn’t far away but lots of change can take place. Enjoy the gift of time with family.

Back
Top Bottom