My Dog Loves Camping!

Great thread, Cam!

My wife and I are bringing our recently-adopted Catahoula Leopard Dog, Hank, with us to Expo next week. He'll be at the booth hanging out with us and I expect he'll have a grand time. :)

Our new dog likes being out. This is the beach from St. Augustine.

040615podg.jpg

040715pod.jpg

In a couple of weeks, she will get an all beach, all the time on the Core Banks.

Bayleaf and I are so excited to get to finally spend some time camping together for the next two months. I've been so insanely busy with everything I haven't been able to give her the attention she needs. One last night at home...

image.jpg

DSCN0571.jpg

Fitz is training for adventures. OK, he is just hunting skinks...and frogs, bees, pine cones, etc.

-Andy

DSCN0571.jpg

Andy, at least Fitz can be off lease.... my dog bolts! It is a pain!

He is off leash in the fenced back yard only. He "went" off leash on a walk last week! He took a swim through a swamp, played with some other fenced collies, and basically ignored me until I tackled and "releashed" him. I think we are in for structured training.

-Andy

Here's one of Mojoe the Dog camping many years ago at Coyote Flats (This before her nose turned pink!):

006_20.JPG

And here's a group hug on the Coyote Flats ridge-top that overlooks the Owens Valley and the White Mountains:
013_13.JPG

Cam

006_20.JPG

013_13.JPG

013_13.JPG

Andy, at least Fitz can be off lease.... my dog bolts! It is a pain!

He is off leash in the fenced back yard only. He "went" off leash on a walk last week! He took a swim through a swamp, played with some other fenced collies, and basically ignored me until I tackled and "releashed" him. I think we are in for structured training.

-Andy

My newset dog was a bolter. I asked my neighbor who has and trains bird dogs about a training collar, then bought one. It made a huge difference, after ONE off leash event. I rarely ever have her hooked up now, shes a pure pleasure to have out loose and not worry about her.

IF used correctly training collars are like magic. If used incorrectly, they can really mess a dog up, and the person should probably have the collar used on them for several days by a sadistic satan worshipper.

Correctly does NOT include "punishment" or being angry. It only works when used at the exact moment they are doing something you need to correct. 2 seconds later is too late. If one has anger issues, a training collar is a bad idea. Using it at the lowest setting that gets their attention is also important. Reading the instructions is important. Watching the included video is important. Not think one is smarter than everyone else thats ever used them is important.

My collar has a beeper function also. I use it to call the dog in when I want her without making a lot of noise. I've never used it as a warning before using the buzz function. She wears her jewelry whenever we go out in bear/moose/snake country. I was able to give her a negative conditioning with a bull snake that came close to home, now she reacts to snakes and barks at them, and wont get near them. I can tell when she sees a snake just from her bark.

What brand/model? You are not the first one to suggest it!

My newset dog was a bolter. I asked my neighbor who has and trains bird dogs about a training collar, then bought one. It made a huge difference, after ONE off leash event. I rarely ever have her hooked up now, shes a pure pleasure to have out loose and not worry about her.

IF used correctly training collars are like magic. If used incorrectly, they can really mess a dog up, and the person should probably have the collar used on them for several days by a sadistic satan worshipper.

Correctly does NOT include "punishment" or being angry. It only works when used at the exact moment they are doing something you need to correct. 2 seconds later is too late. If one has anger issues, a training collar is a bad idea. Using it at the lowest setting that gets their attention is also important. Reading the instructions is important. Watching the included video is important. Not think one is smarter than everyone else thats ever used them is important.

My collar has a beeper function also. I use it to call the dog in when I want her without making a lot of noise. I've never used it as a warning before using the buzz function. She wears her jewelry whenever we go out in bear/moose/snake country. I was able to give her a negative conditioning with a bull snake that came close to home, now she reacts to snakes and barks at them, and wont get near them. I can tell when she sees a snake just from her bark.

We use Tri-Tronics hunting dog collars with 1/2 mile range. They waterproof,hold a charge great and have multiple unit channels for more than 1 dog. I believe them to be in New Mexico.

Mine is a Sport Dog. I went for low-mid range in price, definitely not the cheapest I could find, but couldnt afford the top of the line units. I think it was around $200. It has the beeper function, which I think it good to have, and variable buzz, which I think is standard. It also will do short buzz or stay buzzing with another button. I think it will run two collars off one sender. Its rechargable of course, any decent one should be. I had the batteries get flaky with it still in warranty. After doing diagnostics with the rep on the phone they just sent me a whole new unit, a bit better than the one I had.

I'd avoid the super cheap ones like the plague. I know someone that bought one. Uses store bought batteries, and generally doesnt work very well.

Some of the best advice the bird dog trainer gave me, dont ever let the dog know its you doing it. Never threaten them with it, or wave it at them. If they chase deer, let them think the deer did it, and call them back like your best friend,..."Oh poor fluffy!, did those naughty deer do something mean to you?"

One of the things many people never quite get, never call them to you, then punish them. Always try make coming to you a good thing, or that they arent going to get their butt beat. Even when I'm mad, I'll scold the dog but not in a way that she thinks its scary to come to me.

Mad at dog, no buzzing. Dog does something bad, and in the process, Bzzt! No fluffy! Usually just the buzz does it.

Mine was chewing on my seats and seatbelts. Scolding her wasnt effective, and I wasnt able to catch her in the act. I'd sit in restaraunts where I could see her. One time, I saw her grab the seat belt to chew on it, Bzzt!, she never did it again and I never said anything about it again.

I've had mine over 3 years. I've actually buzzed the dog less than 15-20 times total. She stopped bolting, (1 buzz) stopped chasing deer, (1 buzz) stopped getting close to snakes, (1 buzz) generally comes when I call her, (several at different times when she didnt react when called), stopped chewing on the seats and seatbelts (1 buzz).

She gets really excited to go in the truck, and gets up and down on her bed every few seconds, wants the window open to bark and hang out, and generally sort of spazing about getting to go. Telling her to get on her bed works for about 5 seconds. Beeping her she gets in the bed for a while, and if she gets off, I dont say anything, just beep, and she gets back up and lays down. I've never used the beeper as a warning before buzzing either, just to get her attention.

Last edited:
Rex looks happy. Glad to see he has tags on, too many times I see dogs out that don't have an iD on and sometimes things don't end well. As long as he can't reach back and unzip the left bag your Sammiches will be safe!!

Back
Top Bottom