Muninn, son of Fafhrd...An FJC Tale of Adventure

Another idea is to mount a Ram Mount ball with a longer bolt on the a-pillar grab handle.

rm2.jpg

I will take a close-up picture if you are curious.

Another idea is to mount a Ram Mount ball with a longer bolt on the a-pillar grab handle.

Yeah, on the a-pillar grab handle is exactly where I first mounted the GPS using a motorcycle handle bar mount with the Garmin 17mm ball. I just didn't like the positioning there.

IMG_1442.JPG

Adventure has been an elusive mistress these last couple of months. Dealing with my Pa's cancer leaves us little time for ourselves as we concentrate on what my parents need instead. We sneak out here locally to go for short hikes or maybe a quick paddle at times but try not to stray to far out of reach. I suppose going through the treatments and seeing the old man recover is an adventure of another sort and this experience sure has drawn a close family even closer.

With the old man responding well to his chemotherapeutic treatments my parents insisted we get the hell out of the boondocks here and go someplace to celebrate our upcoming anniversary. Not sure what to do and with short notice we settled on going on an urban adventure, hell thats alien territory for us and sure out of our common existence. Adventure is all about experiencing the new and challenging right? So with that in mind Michelle picked Toronto. We've never been there, we get to cross a border and there's should be some good poutine someplace up there. She also volunteered Muninn to be our urban exploration vehicle. Ever see how an Ontario-ian drives...we'd need that front armor.

So off to the north we go, Michelle at the helm...
IMG_0017.jpg

...as we roll along Pennsylvania asphalt, pay no attention to the potholes...
IMG_5745.JPG

Up through New York and into Buffalo we crossed into the Great White North via the Peace Bridge. From Niagria up the QEW to Toronto we pass along a continuous band of urban sprawl, an antithesis of our Cape Breton trip last fall. Finally the Toronto skyline hews into view, definitely not our neck of the woods...
IMG_0021.jpg

We snake our way down to the Lake Ontario waterfront district where our hotel awaits us and confront the first reality of urban adventuring. Parking. Hmmm, all the parking is underground; in tight low hung parking garages. I'm driving a tall, off road oriented vehicle with a useless gnarled mess of steel tubing on top that's suppose to be a rack. Well that's not good. Luckily with some good spotting (see how your off road experiences translate to urban wheelin'?) young Muninn here just fit in the hotel parking garage with an inch and a tad to spare.
IMG_5759.JPG

Settled into our hotel room overlooking the lake we immediately ditched that place and went wandering. We find that we enjoy urban hiking. The variety of people we see and the architecture is fascinating to us. Not to mention the food choices...do you know how far I have to drive back home to find an even decent Thai restaurant? Think hours.
IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5725.JPG
IMG_5721.JPG

For the next couple of days we wandered Toronto. Ripleys Aquarium is stellar and the Royal Ontario Museum is just behind the Carnegie in Pittsburgh as my favorite museum. We ate shawmara, Thai and Indian foods; we always focus on foods we can't get at home or make better ourselves. We watched a waterfront free concert even though it wasn't our taste in music one evening and put some concrete miles on our hiking boots. ''Twas a good time...
IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_5754.JPG
IMG_5756.JPG

That looks like it was a great trip. I think Michelle was right, those falls are a must see!

That is (was) one heck of a moose next to the lizard in the museum. Good to hear your father's treatment is going well. Oh, and happy anniversary to you and Michelle!

-Andy

i deleted it to rephrase it better this morning and haven't had time to re-do it.

Respond away!

I will talk about my setup, as our front ends are essentially the same.

I am running Bilstein 6112 coil overs - larger diameter than stock 5100 coil overs, with a 600# coil spring. The 6112s were specifically designed for the Tacoma/4 Runner/FJ suspension (valving, etc.) The larger shock utilizes a larger diameter shaft and contains more fluid (volume) that the stock shock. The larger shaft is stronger, the additional fluid aids in cooling. Not as good as a remote reservoir, but better than not. At about 1/2 the price of King/Icon/Fox shocks, these are a really good value for the money. And, since they are not a race shock, they do not need annual rebuilding.

As I am about to replace my bumper with an aftermarket steel one, and add a winch, I am going to replace my 600# coil springs with 700# coil springs. A heavier spring rate is needed (at least preferred) to handle the additional weight.

The 6112s have 5 coil height settings, so you can the height of the front end to whatever you are comfortable with.

That being said, I encourage you to seriously look at the 6112s instead of the 5100s. You do take your truck off-road, and will appreciate the advantages of the bigger shocks.

The shocks come with 600# springs. 650# and 700# springs are readily available, depending on how much additional weight you add to the front of the truck. With a little bit of effort, you can really fine tune your suspension.

(This write-up is pretty good, considering I am an engineer not a marketing puke!)

Things have been happening on the old FJ....

First it was a set of Bilstien shocks all around as this thing was needing the OEM units replaced anyways. I went with the 5100s. I had ran them for years on my old Tundra Fafhrd with great results and if they worked just fine on that much heavier ride they'll do just as well on this rounded brick.

Too compensate for the front end sag of the ARB bumper I had the fronts set at the 1.75 mark, second from the top ring. I wanted to bring the front up but maintain some factory rake. Having a local shop swap the factory springs and put new top plates on the Bilstiens as my spring compressors aren't stout enough, I mounted the shocks up cursing PA road crud all the while.

When it was all said and done I was happy with the results. This brought the front end up a full 2", having gone from a measured height up front of 33 1/2" (cement pad to bottom of fender flare) to the current 35 1/2". Rear measurement is 37" so I have a nice rake for weight settlement when pulling the trailer. It looks good too, keeping with the sort of stock look I'm hoping to maintain. Drives and handles so much better now also, but hey, those original factory units were shot.

IMG_5835.JPG

So that was great, but it's hard to pull a trailer without a hitch and this thing ain't got one. I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I bought this...no hitch, no bed, no V8. What the hell?

So I ordered up a factory trailer hitch and wiring harness and got that problem taken care of. Kit came with all the factory hardware, wiring kit, modules and fuses. Pretty straight forward job, though I did take the time to clean up the frame section and give it a coat of Rust Bullet. Waiting for that to cure took longer than the whole actual install.

Whatcha get...

IMG_5971.JPG

The tear down begins..
IMG_5970.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG

A little Osborne brush and a coat of Rust Bullet because road salt...and than mount that hitch up. Four bolts up front, two on the bottom side.

IMG_5975.JPG

All buttoned back up with the new notched valance. Four pin wiring harness in place.

IMG_5978.JPG

And it's time for a cold Pepsi and chunk of fresh grilled venison loin.

Just waiting on my frame mounted transmission heat sink to arrive from Summit Racing and we'll be towing in no time.

Back
Top Bottom